The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Did you type the 2nd bit just to demonstrate our not being a typical cohort? :laugh:
No, but I see what you mean here.

In RL they'd have a professional statistician to do this, I wouldn't be stepping in as the MHoC's acting statistician, but hey, it's some good revision for S2.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
No, but I see what you mean here.

In RL they'd have a professional statistician to do this, I wouldn't be stepping in as the MHoC's acting statistician, but hey, it's some good revision for S2.
Haha, that's a good way of thinking about it.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
The real scandal here is how small a proportion of the candidates are capable of over 50% in their Maths GCSE. As has been said, the questions are not massively difficult, although we are probably not a "typical" cohort.

I was planning to do some calculations with the normal distribution and bell curves to come up with a better way of calculating grade boundaries to share with the Education Secretary, and I might bring that plan forward.
… which are the same thing.

You don't need to calculate anything, it's all very common and easy stuff. However, I would argue that fitting data to a particular distribution is unfair and like I mentioned, it's more sensible to alter the course requirements to obtain the same distribution via regular absolute grading methods, which ensures that the difficulty of the course is adequate, rather than giving most people C just because they're relatively close to the mean despite their scores being over 90%, for example…
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
… which are the same thing.
I know that.

You don't need to calculate anything, it's all very common and easy stuff. However, I would argue that fitting data to a particular distribution is unfair and like I mentioned, it's more sensible to alter the course requirements to obtain the same distribution via regular absolute grading methods, which ensures that the difficulty of the course is adequate, rather than giving most people C just because they're relatively close to the mean despite their scores being over 90%, for example…
The calculations would be to work out what the percentiles are.

Grades are only useful as a relative measurement of ability anyway (they allow people to tell how able someone is in comparison to others, by comparing grades, you can't say Joe Bloggs here got an A, so he can do x, y and z.) so it should be done relatively by grading on a bell curve.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do ****ing GCSE students have no clue how grade boundaries work? The number of people I've had to explain the system to, and for them to go: 'Oh, ok.' is actually incredible...
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
this really isn't interesting.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
According to Youguv analysis the Tories got a 17% lead in this election from people working in the private sector. That's actually somewhat stunning.

Other interesting bits of information were that weirdly 30-39 year olds were as Tory as 50-59 year olds (the 40-49 year olds were less Tory - this age group would first voted around the time of Blair so perhaps some loyalty to Labour). The Tories pensioner pandering worked a charm.. 20% lead for 60+!!!

The surprise for me was that the Tories still held the C2 vote (lost 3% though from 2010) and only lost 1% for the D/E vote (which Labour won). So the poor did move left but not much.

Housing as you'd expect is an interesting indicator. For those with a bought and paid for home the Tories gained 2% and now have a whopping 24% lead over Labour!! Mortgage payers also stayed Tory (at 42% that's still landslide territory) and the Tories managed to retain private renters. No shock that Labour have 45% of the social housing vote.

Overseas was solid Labour bar the non-Indian Asians (Chinese and Japanese i'd guess) who were blue.

Everybody earning above £20k was blue more or less. Higher rate taxpayers and above were landslide territory.

Finally, newspaper readership was largely as you'd expect. Those reading the Star, Guardian, Independent and Mirror were red, everybody else blue. The Torygraph lived upto it's name with 69% of readers voting Tory.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I hope it was enjoyable.
Good fun thanks. Another late one tonight - this time on behalf of my local beer festival :beer:
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birchington)
Good fun thanks. Another late one tonight - this time on behalf of my local beer festival :beer:
Haha, now that sounds even better
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Green_Pink)
If you're interested I think I have digital copies of most of the past papers around somewhere for Standard Level from when I was studying for it. The syllabus has changed quite a lot since 2006.
I'd love to see some actually!
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Dear barman, might I have a rum and hot water?
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
****ing hell why is Eliuzebeth's foriegn policy so complex
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Dear barman, might I have a rum and hot water?
Of course!
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course!
Do you have any smokes behind the bar? If so, can I have a packet of bensons.

Also, a glass of house red would do me well.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Do you have any smokes behind the bar? If so, can I have a packet of bensons.

Also, a glass of house red would do me well.
We also carry a small supply, just in case an occurrence like this happens... and a glass of red coming up!
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We also carry a small supply, just in case an occurrence like this happens... and a glass of red coming up!
Cheers, Keep.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can see why the Japanese might be suggesting it.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Phew. I was about to start ranting and quoting Locke at you.
Hahaha

"All mankind... Being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty or possessions."

I couldn't put it better than him.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Hahaha

"All mankind... Being all equal and independent, no one ought to harm another in his life, health, liberty or possessions."

I couldn't put it better than him.
prsom
Blue Meltwater
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting election results in Turkey. Looks like the AKP will face its toughest challenge to stay in power for thirteen years.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads