Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest though, 2 months is a long time before the draft. Of course teams have prospects and their eyes on certain players but a huge trade offer on the draft day or an incident involving a player the week before the draft could hugely change the dynamic.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like the Patriots have interviewed every TE :lol:

Also cap will be increasing by more than originally thought. Hurrah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    why is it called football?
    Because kicking was/is/and always will be incredibly important. Kickoffs and Punts especially, to flip position. Also PATs and the incredibally rare drop-kick PAT where the ball is bounced off the floor.

The American football used to be a lot more rounded making drop kicks much easier due to a more consistent bounce, and Football shares a common ancestry with Rugby (rugby clubs are sometimes known as RFCs- rugby football clubs). The major development was the 'forward pass' behind the line of scrimmage, but you can still see things like laterals (or 'rugby passes').

And also, the word 'football' was used by the Americans first to refer to Gridiron football, before 'football' to mean 'association football' ("soccer") went across the Atlantic. So it's called football out of tradition as well. BTW, soccer was coined by the British. Football = American Football. Gridiron Football: Canadian or American football Soccer = 'the other football'.

Regarding the Pats and the draft, the Pats sure need to get a TE that's not made of glass and can block. Of course, the best situation for them is that Gronk remains healthy, but they still have to replace #81 because they need that option of a double-tight end set. If nothing else, it would help open out their run game, and take the pressure off the wideouts.

Regarding Clowney. He has an attitude problem, and a number of franchises will be incredibly cautious about picking him up. For that reason, I'd expect him to fall lower than everybody is expecting. He'd still be a top 10 pick, based his athleticsm and college output but not neccessarily a top 5 one. It also depends on a team's defensive scheme. Kony Ealy is another great DE, and it is a deep draft for defensive ends, so teams can still pick up great players. There's also a lot of tweeners or players which have played defensive end in college which will be moved to outside linebacker at the nfl level. Dee Ford has a skillset which will translate well at outside linebacker in the nfl. In a 3-4, the pass rush comes from the outside linebackers, generally, which is why I don't think clowney would be a great fit for the Texans at #1; they already have Watt pass-rushing in a 3-4; I see Clowney going to the Falcons (who despite their need for a pass-rusher might think he has too many character issues) or a team like the Vikings which play a 4-3 and allow him to be a pass-rushing end. Dare I say he may be Jared Allen's placement.

Oh well. Just over a day until the combine starts. Then the hype machine will go into overdrive. Can't believe it's still more than 2 months until the draft. I really need my football fix. XD

Teams only go for the best player available if they are a once in a generation type player and the opportunity is too good to turn down.

ReputationRep:
    ASJ or Amaro for me. Wouldn't mind a WR though...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watching the combine? Mad 40 yard times unofficially so far. Greg Robinson has a proper motor on him!

ReputationRep:
    Following the combine online. Greg Robinson looks really good as a prospect; the only question mark above his head is 'how good is his pass protection?'. Taylor Lewan also excelled in the 40yd dash cementing his place as the #3 OT prospect, but the top three 3 OT prospects all basically do a 1.67-1.70 10yd split and show great explosiveness.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so looking forward to seeing the QBs, WRs and RBs tomorrow. It doesn't surprise me that the top QBs are reluctant to throw to random recievers, I wonder what they have to gain really. If Manziel hits every guy questions about his accuracy don't suddenly disappear. If he misses a lot though it could affect his stock. Bortles throws I think because he's just riding a wave, if he throws well, given that Manziel and Bridgewater aren't throwing he could increase his stock. Maybe overtake Bridge or Jonny in some peoples standing.

ReputationRep:
    There's something about Bortles that I really don't like and If someone picks him up as number one it could go really badly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    I'm so looking forward to seeing the QBs, WRs and RBs tomorrow. It doesn't surprise me that the top QBs are reluctant to throw to random recievers, I wonder what they have to gain really. If Manziel hits every guy questions about his accuracy don't suddenly disappear. If he misses a lot though it could affect his stock. Bortles throws I think because he's just riding a wave, if he throws well, given that Manziel and Bridgewater aren't throwing he could increase his stock. Maybe overtake Bridge or Jonny in some peoples standing.
    Nah, DB's on tuesday is where it's at The real athletes of the combine!! :P

I don't think it would affect their standing in the draft, by choosing not to throw. They'll just invite scouts to their college pro-days, and try to boost the standing of their WR corps who are also declaring for the draft. Bortles has the physical tools to be successful at the NFL level, but there's such a massive learning curve. Bridgewater at least ran a pro-style offense in college. But he's 'only' got 9 1/4" hands. There's something about Manziel that is just screaming 'bust', but he did say all the right things on friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    Nah, DB's on tuesday is where it's at The real athletes of the combine!! :P

I don't think it would affect their standing in the draft, by choosing not to throw. They'll just invite scouts to their college pro-days, and try to boost the standing of their WR corps who are also declaring for the draft. Bortles has the physical tools to be successful at the NFL level, but there's such a massive learning curve. Bridgewater at least ran a pro-style offense in college. But he's 'only' got 9 1/4" hands. There's something about Manziel that is just screaming 'bust', but he did say all the right things on friday.
    How do you measure a hand by the way?! I guessed how they measure and got 7 1/2", my hands aren't even small but these dudes hands must be massive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    How do you measure a hand by the way?! I guessed how they measure and got 7 1/2", my hands aren't even small but these dudes hands must be massive.

Thumb to pinky at full extension. Not middle finger to the base of the palm.

Haha Clinton-Dix is looking really good in the combine. As is Gilbert (4.35 40yard dash - who said corners were slow, eh?!) and Dernard.

ReputationRep:
    Thumb to pinky at full extension. Not middle finger to the base of the palm.

Haha Clinton-Dix is looking really good in the combine. As is Gilbert (4.35 40yard dash - who said corners were slow, eh?!) and Dernard.
    Verett was the stand out CB I didn't know about for me! That guy looks special even undersized. He makes plays even at 5'9 1/2.

AND Eisen broke 6!!!! That was so good to watch.

ReputationRep:
    The team that gets Dennard or Gilbert will be very lucky. Similar height, elite speed for corners and they can play press coverage. Verett had an excellent combine, but he'll be a nickel corner at the next level. If the Broncos can get Verett, I wouldn't complain, as that would allow Chris Harris Jr. to play opposite DRC, and Bailey to transition to safety. Mind you, safety is a priority for the Broncos, and I am a strong believer in Haha Clinton-Dix as the best free safety in this draft class. But he'll never fall to #31. The team that gets him will be very lucky indeed. He could even play as a press-coverage corner.

Although Eisen broke 6 seconds (5.98, unofficially timed...), I could almost back pedal that faster. I run a handtimed 4.6 forty, but I think I got faster since then...stil, it looked a better run than brady's tragic forty yard dash at the combine.

ReputationRep:
    I think I could run a 5.5 or something, I am not fast but I've got good twitch muscles so I'd start well. I'd back myself to be good on the vertical jump because I can box jump about 4ft. Broad jump, I have a distinct lack of arm muscles but I don't think I'd do badly. I certainly couldn't do 1 rep at 225!

ReputationRep:
    I ran a 6.2 in jeans, weighing over 19 stone. Could probably go 5.6-5.8 now.

We electronically timed it at my club and you'd be surprised at how few people go below about 4.7. Hand timing is very generous. I'd say a hand timed 4.6 is more likely to be a 4.9 electronically.

ReputationRep:
    40 times eh...

Jimmy graham has been tagged now the fun starts :grin:

Cap is now 132 million. Sweet. Pretty surprised we releases Gregory was a solid starter, Bill must believe in Harmon. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    The annoying thing is, Coach BB knows what he's doing and isn't afraid to cut players and start again. If he were in the saint's situation, I think he's cutting Jimmy Graham and drafting again. Hoping Decker stays though.

ReputationRep:
    The annoying thing is, Coach BB knows what he's doing and isn't afraid to cut players and start again. If he were in the saint's situation, I think he's cutting Jimmy Graham and drafting again. Hoping Decker stays though.
    BB is too ruthless haha

This situation with Jimmy is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Free Agency starts in 9 days!! We really are never without football are we!? The gap from Superbowl to Combine and Combine to FA is just filled up with speculation. It's FA then the draft!!! I actually think I might like this bit more than the football.This bit shapes a lot of what happens next season because no team is needless in the modern day NFL

ReputationRep:
    I'll be pissed if we lose Edelman :sad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.