Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Can anyone get me this full text pdf: http://bjr.birjournals.org/content/60/711/231.abstract for some reason cannot open it on the server I'm on. Will rep
    No luck, sorry.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I can't even find it, do you have a link?
    Thats the thing. It is on a drug advert I am meant to be analysing for my SSC but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Likewise for: "Fabbri LM, Nicolini G, Olivieri D et al. Inhaled beclometasone dipropionate/formoterol extra-fine fixed combination in the treatment of asthma: evidence and future perspectives. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2008; 9: 479-490."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Thats the thing. It is on a drug advert I am meant to be analysing for my SSC but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Likewise for: "Fabbri LM, Nicolini G, Olivieri D et al. Inhaled beclometasone dipropionate/formoterol extra-fine fixed combination in the treatment of asthma: evidence and future perspectives. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2008; 9: 479-490."

Yeah, when I searched, I found the advert. I did notice it was cited in a few other places. Something is telling me this is on purpose. Maybe chase up the other papers that cited it and see if they seem legit. Was this advert assigned to you to analyse? There may be a reason for this. Time to put on your Ben Goldacre hat.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Yeah, when I searched, I found the advert. I did notice it was cited in a few other places. Something is telling me this is on purpose. Maybe chase up the other papers that cited it and see if they seem legit. Was this advert assigned to you to analyse? There may be a reason for this. Time to put on your Ben Goldacre hat.
    So... One of my coursemates has emailed the drug company. And we weren't assigned this drug advert in particular. We were given a list of drugs to choose from but a lot of people have been having problems finding the reference material too with other drugs. Cheeky Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    hellooo fellow medics - i know i am an incredibly infrequent visitor of these parts these days but i had an idea and was wondering what other people thought about it so:

i am really incredibly awful at public speaking and i thought a good way to practice getting used to my own voice and comfortable with it would be to make a youtube channel giving general advice to people thinking about applying/applying for medicine. and maybe some things about my experiences.
    does this sound like a good idea or do you guys think it'd be really egotistical of me to expect people to want to know my opinion with regards to anything to do with medical school...?!

any thoughts would be appreciated..
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccy.)
    hellooo fellow medics - i know i am an incredibly infrequent visitor of these parts these days but i had an idea and was wondering what other people thought about it so:

i am really incredibly awful at public speaking and i thought a good way to practice getting used to my own voice and comfortable with it would be to make a youtube channel giving general advice to people thinking about applying/applying for medicine. and maybe some things about my experiences.
    does this sound like a good idea or do you guys think it'd be really egotistical of me to expect people to want to know my opinion with regards to anything to do with medical school...?!

I personally think the idea of it is a good one and that it could well help you :dontknow:

I'd just be a bit concerned about what you might be discussing and talking about openly online, whether you could control who sees it and any issues with GMC guidelines on online activity etc that you don't want biting you in the ass at some later point?

But it's not really something I know anything about so I could be talking rubbish really

ReputationRep:

Sounds like a good idea, go for it if worried about issues arising with med school etc - do it anonymously? Don't use your real name and perhaps not show your face? Someone on TSR plays guitar but they never show their face in their youtube videos, just thorax and arms.

(Something else that might help public speaking - enter elections for societies, do lecture shout outs? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    No luck, sorry.
    Thanks for trying, I hate it when you find the exact paper you need but you either can't have access to it without a subscription or can't access it on server.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

I think that is a pretty good idea :yy: As PSQ mentioned, you may want to be a bit careful about what you talk about in those videos. I suggest you set privacy settings on all your videos so that only people with the link can view them. That way, it wont be search indexed anywhere but you can still show it to people who may want your advice on admissions etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    I personally think the idea of it is a good one and that it could well help you :dontknow:

I'd just be a bit concerned about what you might be discussing and talking about openly online, whether you could control who sees it and any issues with GMC guidelines on online activity etc that you don't want biting you in the ass at some later point?

But it's not really something I know anything about so I could be talking rubbish really
    :rofl: Oh, the irony...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    :rofl: Oh, the irony...
    Hmm... this sounds a little fishy... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    It will not affect us directly at all, the course will remain the same for us and we will graduate from both universities and be GMC registered as such.

But in the long run we attend a medical school that will no longer exist in a few years time, so that sucks. Any achievements we make during our career will be attributable to a medical school which no longer exists, that has got to be annoying.

As an alumni all Peninsula graduates would have hoped to attribute their success to a particular institution to help build its reputation.

As for why other than "PCMD has outgrown its current arrangements with its two partner universities and due to changes in the wider academic environment and in the NHS"

But there is a lecture today for us to find out WTF is going on.
    Was so surprised when I read the emails about this today! Any news from the lecture?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Was so surprised when I read the emails about this today! Any news from the lecture?
    It seems to all come down to research funding, both universities seem to want their own way in terms of direction of medical research. They don't seem to have been able to agree on funding for the collaboration to continue, essentially having a fallout between the two parent universities and both wanting to go their own separate direction and Peninsula being destroyed in the fallout.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to all come down to research funding, both universities seem to want their own way in terms of direction of medical research. They don't seem to have been able to agree for the collaboration to continue, essentially having a fallout between the two parent universities and both wanting to go their own separate direction and Peninsula being destroyed in the fallout.
    That is a shame.
    Where does that leave the truro campus out of interest?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    That is a shame.
    Where does that leave the truro campus out of interest?
    I assume will end up on the Plymouth side of the split, with torbay being on the exeter side.

But I don't think they have got as far as deciding custody rights yet.

ReputationRep:
    Would any one of the enlightened here good at critical appraisals care to explain what criteria I should be looking at in meta-analyses/reviews please?

What I have so far; inclusion criteria, bias, whether conclusions match the data

I'm also clueless as to how I'm supposed to write about this
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    Would any one of the enlightened here good at critical appraisals care to explain what criteria I should be looking at in meta-analyses/reviews please?

What I have so far; inclusion criteria, bias, whether conclusions match the data

It's in my exam soon - we had a shocking lecture today, where the lecturer failed to grasp statistical significance, stating that the result of meta-analysis (diamond clearly overlapping 1, yet adamant it was SS) are open to subjective interpretation!
    My most recent paper appraisal consists of writing about these topics:

The study rationale and study aims/objectives
    What where these?
    Were they clearly stated and justified?
    Ethical issues
    Strengths and weaknesses of study design and conduct
    What design was used and was it appropriate?
    What was the susceptibility to bias?
    Selection of participants
    Who was included in the analysed sample and was this appropriate?
    The sample size
    Appropriateness and properties of measures of exposure and outcomes
    Choice & measurement/classification of exposure & outcome variables
    Potential biases and confounders
    Strengths and weaknesses of data analysis and presentation
    The main results of the study
    Report and provide your own interpretation of them
    Quality and influence of paper
    How generalisable was the paper?
    What is its likely impact and to whom are the results important?
    To what extent did the authors achieve their aims?
    Abstract/summary
    Does this reflect the paper’s most important content?

ReputationRep:
    I am so angry with Peninsula! They are splitting up the medical school in a few years. WTF!

Its going to become two medical schools.
    Seriously? How long until that happens? Are they still taking on new applicants?

Sorry to hear that though :/

ReputationRep:
    Oh man.

First dance rehearsal this evening in months and I want to chop my legs off. My inner thighs are actually burning.

I may have done it again and bitten off more than I can chew in terms of ECs. I'm now officially rehearsing for 5 different dance routines at the same time (hip hop, bollywood/western mash up, contemporary, a coupled dance and another western dance). And I am in two singing acts too - a gospel choir and a glee-type act. I'm basically in rehearsals 5 days a week to try and accommodate everything. And as if that's not enough, I stupidly decided to run the marathon again this year which means I've got to fit in training time for that. And as RAG VP this year, I have RAG Week to sort out and stuff. One day of ragging killed me in December - now we have an entire week to sort out. And I'm helping out with Barts Next Top Model next month. Oh and of course there are exams next month I have to revise for, a project I have to plan and do, and a dissertation I have to complete for this BSc in the midst of all of this. And I just signed up to start an audit this month. This basically leaves no time for anything else. Next year, I swear, I'm taking a back seat and watching these shows instead of being in them, and I have this post as proof of me saying this.

EDIT: Also, shame about the PMS malarkey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Oh man.

First dance rehearsal this evening in months and I want to chop my legs off. My inner thighs are actually burning.

I may have done it again and bitten off more than I can chew in terms of ECs. I'm now officially rehearsing for 5 different dance routines at the same time (hip hop, bollywood/western mash up, contemporary, a coupled dance and another western dance). And I am in two singing acts too - a gospel choir and a glee-type act. I'm basically in rehearsals 5 days a week to try and accommodate everything. And as if that's not enough, I stupidly decided to run the marathon again this year which means I've got to fit in training time for that. And as RAG VP this year, I have RAG Week to sort out and stuff. One day of ragging killed me in December - now we have an entire week to sort out. And I'm helping out with Barts Next Top Model next month. Oh and of course there are exams next month I have to revise for, a project I have to plan and do, and a dissertation I have to complete for this BSc in the midst of all of this. And I just signed up to start an audit this month. This basically leaves no time for anything else. Next year, I swear, I'm taking a back seat and watching these shows instead of being in them, and I have this post as proof of me saying this.

EDIT: Also, shame about the PMS malarkey.
    At least you can put it in your personal statement when applying for Medicine. ::E:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.