Brand New Eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by such_a_lady)
Is anyone else watching the Commons debate? :ninja:
I was early

DC <3 I'm so jel of Sam ahaha and Clegg and Osborne look so bored slash shriveled as per usual
Niki_girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Brand New Eyes)
FFS Merton, do hurry up! still haven't got my college confirmation
Don't worry, neither has anyone applying to Worcester or some of the other colleges (although maybe that's a sign of how full they are...just kidding it probably doesn't mean anything )

(Original post by CeeTay)
i'd be very happy getting exeter after doing an open application - it's lovely. my second favourite college!
Same , oh hey again!

(Original post by c3dric)
What does this imply?

I only hope that the tutors are nice there
Anyways I guess that the standard should be the same for all colleges since they all form part of Oxford .
The History tutor I met on the study day I went on at Exeter college seemed nice :yep:, oh and I wouldn't worry too much about the state school thing, 2 boys from my school went to St.Peter's (I go to a state, well a Catholic, but a state-Catholic??I mean a non-Private/ fee-paying school) and they really liked it, they both just graduated with 1sts in History! :eek:
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
FFS Merton, do hurry up! still haven't got my college confirmation
I wouldn't hold your breath

It will come in good time though, don't worry.
Mousebudden
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Any guys in here apply for E&M at St Catherines?
Lexi C
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KingMessi)
Ah, okay, thanks! I can't remember where Queens is; I applied for Exeter last year. The accommodation isn't too big a deal IMO, that's fine. It being undersubscribed sounds okay to me....

Thanks for the information. :top2:
I know a guy who went there (he's in his 3rd year now) and yes you have to live out of college in your 2nd year. But teddy hall's very into sport apparently. And because it's quite small everyone knows everyone. I paid a visit to it on the open day this year, and it's really cute. It's an old college but they recently did up the dining hall and it's very impressive! I think there's a gym also - can't quite remember. Also has an impressive library that used to be a church. Also very nice architecturally!
Brand New Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I wouldn't hold your breath

It will come in good time though, don't worry.
Hopefully! Maybe Merton has more applicants this year :/
Thank you though What year of your 6 year course are you in?

ALSO, would you say Mert is more sporty/musical/both?

p.s. ALSO How long have you been reading this thread until something Merton/Medic related turned up?
such_a_lady
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was early

DC &lt;3 I'm so jel of Sam ahaha and Clegg and Osborne look so bored slash shriveled as per usual
:lolwut:
Brand New Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
:lolwut:
Major fail aha

I was earlier*

DC (David Cameron) (L) I'm so jealous of his wife, Samantha. She gets to meet like... everyone! AND bake with Michelle Obama etc. etc.
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hopefully! Maybe Merton has more applicants this year :/
Thank you though What year of your 6 year course are you in?

ALSO, would you say Mert is more sporty/musical/both?
You mock - one of my friends has taken on a PhD as well as medicine - she will be at Merton for 10 years! :eek:

I'm year 4 now - starting to leave college life behind, sadly!

I would say Merton is pretty sporty in terms of participation, and has had a moderate amount of success in recent years in sports like football and cricket (sports where we have a joint team with Mansfield). We put out the most boats of any college for rowing last year, demonstrating that good participation!

Traditional success for Merton though has been in the bar-related "sports", so pool, table football and darts. Its looking like Merton will have a women's pool team this year, which is unusual for any college to be able to produce.

I don't know much about the music scene, but clearly Merton has one of the most prestigious choirs. There is also a more laid-back orchestra, which often lacks certain instruments so are very keen for non-violinists (or i'm sure they would be happy if you played the violin too ), and the music society puts on a few events a year. I hear people practicing in the music room sometimes, so clearly there is some musical talent present at Merton... i don't know how that compares to other colleges though!
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is anyone else watching the Commons debate? :ninja:
Me!

I think it's pretty sad that all the parties (in particular the conservatives) have put a three line whip on the vote.
such_a_lady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Totally did not just burn a CD entitled "Heiße deutsche Typen" :teehee:

Spoiler:
Show
That's "hot german guys" fyi
Brand New Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
You mock - one of my friends has taken on a PhD as well as medicine - she will be at Merton for 10 years! :eek:

I'm year 4 now - starting to leave college life behind, sadly!

I would say Merton is pretty sporty in terms of participation, and has had a moderate amount of success in recent years in sports like football and cricket (sports where we have a joint team with Mansfield). We put out the most boats of any college for rowing last year, demonstrating that good participation!

Traditional success for Merton though has been in the bar-related &quot;sports&quot;, so pool, table football and darts. Its looking like Merton will have a women's pool team this year, which is unusual for any college to be able to produce.

I don't know much about the music scene, but clearly Merton has one of the most prestigious choirs. There is also a more laid-back orchestra, which often lacks certain instruments so are very keen for non-violinists (or i'm sure they would be happy if you played the violin too ), and the music society puts on a few events a year. I hear people practicing in the music room sometimes, so clearly there is some musical talent present at Merton... i don't know how that compares to other colleges though!
I wasn't mocking! Just saying, Although I guess its just like any other UG degree if you ignore the clinical bit. Ooh! Exciting so you're just starting clinical this year! Does that mean they let you cut people up and stuff soon :gasp:

I didn't even know pool teams existed! Oh dear :/ I'm not good at any bar sports/sports in general

la la la. Whatdyamean! No more college life :gasp: ! Where are you now?
Brand New Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
Me!

I think it's pretty sad that all the parties (in particular the conservatives) have put a three line whip on the vote.
One of the many flaws to our political system. Hmmph, although the backbenchers are dissenting. It's funny how in the debate, most of the Tories were there, which funnily enough was where alot of the opposition came from.

So @everyone
Yes or No to the EU?

AND give a reason.
spectator1993
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes or No to the EU?
No to the EU!
dnumberwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What are they debating?
flywithemma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by c3dric)
What does this imply?

I only hope that the tutors are nice there
Anyways I guess that the standard should be the same for all colleges since they all form part of Oxford .
St Peter's have an AMAZINGLY cheap bar. :cool:
such_a_lady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One of the many flaws to our political system. Hmmph, although the backbenchers are dissenting. It's funny how in the debate, most of the Tories were there, which funnily enough was where alot of the opposition came from.

So @everyone
Yes or No to the EU?

AND give a reason.
YES to the EU because they contain our biggest trading partners and pulling out would make life so difficult for ourselves. Things like travel freedom and passports and EHIC cards we take for granted but would change/disappear if we pulled out. We'd get no say on the big decisions which could potentially affect us. Obviously get back powers from Brussels and never join the Euro, but don't leave the EU, especially at a time like this. Britain's kids would become even more inclined to stay monolingual and ignorant of other cultures.
Banoffeepie16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So I was just looking at my calendar and thought I was looking at October when I was actually looking at November and almost started crying thinking that the MLAT was 2 days away! EVEN THOUGH I've been counting down the days :rofl: Weird.

Too much time in a grammar book! (although, you can never have enough time in a grammar book...:love:)
_becca
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pai2502)
7 places for EL & L at worc. Do you reckon Oxford ever offers places without interviews? Because from what they've written on the college website 'bout the interviews, i wonder how will they be able to conduct it through Skype?
yeah it's really really tough. but chances are if they like you but can't have you you'll get an offer from one college or another..

yeah i was wondering about that, surely if you're on the computer you can have websites open and stuff? not that you would of course, it's just a possibility
such_a_lady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Banoffeepie16)
So I was just looking at my calendar and thought I was looking at October when I was actually looking at November and almost started crying thinking that the MLAT was 2 days away! EVEN THOUGH I've been counting down the days :rofl: Weird.

Too much time in a grammar book! (although, you can never have enough time in a grammar book...:love:)
I, on the other hand, have not done any work today apart from reading a Goethe poem or two and feeling incredibly pleased that because of the CD I just burnt, I have Tiemo Hauer's beautiful voice coming through my speakers. I can also sing "Ich liebe es, dir in die Augen zu sehen, wenn in deinem Koerper, alle Bomben hochgehen" without anyone in the house knowing what it means :teehee: I feel naughty.

However my mum keeps making me turn it down I suspect she is biased because it is German.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.71%
No - I got the required grades (101)
57.71%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.57%

Watched Threads