ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    My most recent paper appraisal consists of writing about these topics:

The study rationale and study aims/objectives
    What where these?
    Were they clearly stated and justified?
    Ethical issues
    Strengths and weaknesses of study design and conduct
    What design was used and was it appropriate?
    What was the susceptibility to bias?
    Selection of participants
    Who was included in the analysed sample and was this appropriate?
    The sample size
    Appropriateness and properties of measures of exposure and outcomes
    Choice & measurement/classification of exposure & outcome variables
    Potential biases and confounders
    Strengths and weaknesses of data analysis and presentation
    The main results of the study
    Report and provide your own interpretation of them
    Quality and influence of paper
    How generalisable was the paper?
    What is its likely impact and to whom are the results important?
    To what extent did the authors achieve their aims?
    Abstract/summary
    Does this reflect the paper’s most important content?
    That's helpful, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Oh man.

First dance rehearsal this evening in months and I want to chop my legs off. My inner thighs are actually burning.

I may have done it again and bitten off more than I can chew in terms of ECs. I'm now officially rehearsing for 5 different dance routines at the same time (hip hop, bollywood/western mash up, contemporary, a coupled dance and another western dance). And I am in two singing acts too - a gospel choir and a glee-type act. I'm basically in rehearsals 5 days a week to try and accommodate everything. And as if that's not enough, I stupidly decided to run the marathon again this year which means I've got to fit in training time for that. And as RAG VP this year, I have RAG Week to sort out and stuff. One day of ragging killed me in December - now we have an entire week to sort out. And I'm helping out with Barts Next Top Model next month. Oh and of course there are exams next month I have to revise for, a project I have to plan and do, and a dissertation I have to complete for this BSc in the midst of all of this. And I just signed up to start an audit this month. This basically leaves no time for anything else. Next year, I swear, I'm taking a back seat and watching these shows instead of being in them, and I have this post as proof of me saying this.

EDIT: Also, shame about the PMS malarkey.
    You never learn do you? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I miss drinking and sticky student nightclubs. Oh well, first exam on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    Also, has anyone seen the Easter meet thread in the other subforum? Is anybody thinking about it?

I'm tempted, but I don't really want to spend the day with a load of applicants and pre-freshers. Last year's meet (and all of the previous ones, I believe) were for medics and docs only. That lead to the problem of only about 8 or 9 of us turning up last April, but that may be preferable to the alternative of having any old bugger there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Also, has anyone seen the Easter meet thread in the other subforum? Is anybody thinking about it?

I'm tempted, but I don't really want to spend the day with a load of applicants and pre-freshers. Last year's meet (and all of the previous ones, I believe) were for medics and docs only. That lead to the problem of only about 8 or 9 of us turning up last April, but that may be preferable to the alternative of having any old bugger there.
    I agree that it should just be for those already in medical school, or doctors, having a bunch of pre-freshers may be a bit much really!

Also I haven't touched alcohol for over 3 weeks now and really missing it, I hope this is not a bad sign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a moist feeling)
    I agree that it should just be for those already in medical school, or doctors, having a bunch of pre-freshers may be a bit much really!

Also I haven't touched alcohol for over 3 weeks now and really missing it, I hope this is not a bad sign
    Good, so I'm not necessarily just being an unduly grumpy old(ish) man.

I haven't had a drink since the 2nd of December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Good, so I'm not necessarily just being an unduly grumpy old(ish) man.

I haven't had a drink since the 2nd of December.
    God no, can you just imagine a bunch of pre-freshers questioning about medical school for a whole day :sigh:

Wow that is impressive, mine was the 16th December, and I can't have anything for the foreseeable future because I'm on crutches :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a moist feeling)
    God no, can you just imagine a bunch of pre-freshers questioning about medical school for a whole day :sigh:

Wow that is impressive, mine was the 16th December, and I can't have anything for the foreseeable future because I'm on crutches :sad:
    Ouch.

To be fair, the last meet was pretty much just me, the uber keen fresher, gazing in awe at Renal and asking stupid questions. But at least I was actually a medic at the time!

ReputationRep:
    I've realised that the workload is perfectly manageable, It's just life, more exciting things and my own procrastination making it diffiicult. Essay crisis. Mirror neurons are quite interesting though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Can anyone get me this full text pdf: http://bjr.birjournals.org/content/60/711/231.abstract for some reason cannot open it on the server I'm on. Will rep
    I have a copy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Oh man.

First dance rehearsal this evening in months and I want to chop my legs off. My inner thighs are actually burning.

I may have done it again and bitten off more than I can chew in terms of ECs. I'm now officially rehearsing for 5 different dance routines at the same time (hip hop, bollywood/western mash up, contemporary, a coupled dance and another western dance). And I am in two singing acts too - a gospel choir and a glee-type act. I'm basically in rehearsals 5 days a week to try and accommodate everything. And as if that's not enough, I stupidly decided to run the marathon again this year which means I've got to fit in training time for that. And as RAG VP this year, I have RAG Week to sort out and stuff. One day of ragging killed me in December - now we have an entire week to sort out. And I'm helping out with Barts Next Top Model next month. Oh and of course there are exams next month I have to revise for, a project I have to plan and do, and a dissertation I have to complete for this BSc in the midst of all of this. And I just signed up to start an audit this month. This basically leaves no time for anything else. Next year, I swear, I'm taking a back seat and watching these shows instead of being in them, and I have this post as proof of me saying this.

EDIT: Also, shame about the PMS malarkey.
    This is making me feel bad for debating whether I can compete this year in dance. Because it takes out whole weekends for 2 months.

(Original post by Wangers)
    I've realised that the workload is perfectly manageable, It's just life, more exciting things and my own procrastination making it diffiicult. Essay crisis. Mirror neurons are quite interesting though.
    I have the same situation. I can see the cycle of, 'Will work at the weekend because I only have 3 hours in the evening' followed by, 'I want to go out/hungover so cant work this weekend'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    It seems to all come down to research funding, both universities seem to want their own way in terms of direction of medical research. They don't seem to have been able to agree on funding for the collaboration to continue, essentially having a fallout between the two parent universities and both wanting to go their own separate direction and Peninsula being destroyed in the fallout.
    I'm quite annoyed about this too. I think they should offer us a choice of where our degree comes from (Exeter/Plymouth/PCMD), rather than just giving us all degrees from an institution that will no longer exist. Those who started in Exeter used to graduate from Exeter, and those who started in Plymouth from Plymouth, so I don't see why they couldn't offer to go back to this. At the moment, it seems like there will be a very small number of graduates from PCMD. The medical school was just starting to get settled and doing well, and now it's all up in the air again. Argh!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Seriously? How long until that happens? Are they still taking on new applicants?

Sorry to hear that though :/
    Yea it seems to have been a decision that was already made without any input from any of the students.

It will begin at the 2013 intake, so the 2012 intake will be the last of Peninsula Medical School in its current set up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    I'm quite annoyed about this too. I think they should offer us a choice of where our degree comes from (Exeter/Plymouth/PCMD), rather than just giving us all degrees from an institution that will no longer exist. Those who started in Exeter used to graduate from Exeter, and those who started in Plymouth from Plymouth, so I don't see why they couldn't offer to go back to this. At the moment, it seems like there will be a very small number of graduates from PCMD. The medical school was just starting to get settled and doing well, and now it's all up in the air again. Argh!
    Our degrees come from both universities though at the moment, so we will have both University of Exeter and Plymouth University on our degrees, which i'm fine with.

I just don't think its right for either of the two new medical schools to be able to keep the Peninsula name, after all Peninsula was an institution set up as a partnership across the entire south west peninsula for one of those institutions to half heatedly try to keep the name going seems against everything that it stands for.

But the one thing that stands out the most is how considering how keen they usually are for our feedback they didn't involve us in this decision at all, that seems against the Peninsula ethos.

P.S - Good Luck with the AMK today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    This is making me feel bad for debating whether I can compete this year in dance. Because it takes out whole weekends for 2 months.
    Do it...you know you want to :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carcinoma)
    But in the long run we attend a medical school that will no longer exist in a few years time, so that sucks. Any achievements we make during our career will be attributable to a medical school which no longer exists, that has got to be annoying.
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. The London medical schools as they are have only existed for ~15 years. You get doctors from e.g. Charing Cross, Westminister, St Mary's and the Royal Postgraduate medical schools which are now Imperial.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Teetering on the edge of burnout... but must finish learning this cardiac physiology...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I passed my OSCE!! :woo:

So relieved as I was really worried I'd failed - I ended up being in B quartile!

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys do when you're sat in MDT meetings and the like? I've been in a few now at my MedSoc and I don't really do much apart from look intersted and wonder what the **** all these acronyms mean. I've sat in a general weekly child protection meeting (was really just organising check ups) and a general monthly meeting and a few others.

Obviously I speak when addressed to but that doesn't happen very often. Usually just to explain something breifly at the begining. I don't sit there like an autistic child and I do interact socially (laugh, etc) I just don't say very much at all which is odd for me, mostly because I think it would be out of place for me to say something usually.

What do you do?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    What do you guys do when you're sat in MDT meetings and the like? I've been in a few now at my MedSoc and I don't really do much apart from look intersted and wonder what the **** all these acronyms mean. I've sat in a general weekly child protection meeting (was really just organising check ups) and a general monthly meeting and a few others.

Obviously I speak when addressed to but that doesn't happen very often. Usually just to explain something breifly at the begining. I don't sit there like an autistic child and I do interact socially (laugh, etc) I just don't say very much at all which is odd for me, mostly because I think it would be out of place for me to say something usually.

What do you do?
    I've only sat in one, and I was quite lucky cause one the consultants came and sat next to me and explained what was going on (it was haematology so it was all CT scans and the like, which have never been my strong point!), which was quite useful.

Tbh you said you wonder what the acronyms are - ask? Discuss the differences between two different cases? I'm not a massive chatter, and obviously there's no point in asking stuff for the sake of it, but they can be useful just to clear up bits that you don't understand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.