Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Anyway I wouldn't be too worried about today's match except for the injuries and suspensions. The result is not something to be overly concerned about unless it came at the back off 4-5 bad games which it hasn't.
    That's ridiculous. The difference between us and Sp*rs last year was 1 point. We've just dropped 3 at home to a team we really should beat. No more defence for Wenger. We're so thin we're gonna be up against it in Turkey so don't be surprised if we're not going to be in the Champions League this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Apparently Wenger also said this to the press in the post-match conf:

Don't really know what to say about that.
    Feels like the press conference before the Bayern munich match all over again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    What does having a masters do to make you any better than someone else at understand football???
    I could get a masters in economics does not make me any more knowledgeable about football then you, thats a poor response.
    The man is stubborn as ****
    as Wenger says, there is a shortage of top talent so you are always going to have to pay more to get these players. How does Wenger not understand this? He has an Economics degree, he should know this...
    The poster was talking about wenger in a pretty patronising manner,
    which is what I was referring to.

ReputationRep:
    Ox apparently out for 3 months. Done his cruciate ligaments. No confirmation from arsenal.com yet.
    May be a blessing in disguise
    Will he finally get a winger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabiusMaximus)
    That's ridiculous. The difference between us and Sp*rs last year was 1 point. We've just dropped 3 at home to a team we really should beat. No more defence for Wenger. We're so thin we're gonna be up against it in Turkey so don't be surprised if we're not going to be in the Champions League this year.
    I agree but the result shouldn't be a reflection of our squad. Yes we are thin in numbers but we still have quality to get a trophy. As as I said I'm more worried about the injuries and suspensions than the result..every team has a bad result and its probably good that we got the bad result out of the way early which can be a reality check. It doesn't instantly put Arsenal out of the title or top 4 race like some people on here are saying.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest Arsenal generally have a poor start to the season, and only pick up after Christmas. Thought the scoreline didn't reflect the match but hopefully it will spur Wenger on to find some new recruits before the window closes.

ReputationRep:
    Ox apparently out for 3 months. Done his cruciate ligaments. No confirmation from arsenal.com yet.
    Surely they can't find out what it is this shortly after the match. The swelling would have to come down for an MRI scan to be done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was directed at the press.
    Yeah but what about though? The press wanting Arsenal to come crashing down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    To be honest Arsenal generally have a poor start to the season, and only pick up after Christmas. Thought the scoreline didn't reflect the match but hopefully it will spur Wenger on to find some new recruits before the window closes.
    Whilst that has been the case in the last three seasons, we used to come out of the traps flying, then fade away around feb/march time. At least that's how it was from 07-10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    The ramblings of a stubborn egomaniac desperate to prove everyone wrong
    Funny thing is, this rambling egomaniac does prove everyone wrong, season after season.

It's down to Wenger that we've weathered through the last 8 years building the Emirates and yet not turned into a Liverpool or a Portsmouth. We've amassed the case reserves we have because of him. He deserves the right to spend that money over the next few seasons to build a title challenging team. That won't happen over the course of one summer, as some fools would like to believe. This isn't just another summer like the rest. We've cleared the deadwood from our ranks and for the first time, we've been linked with players of the calibre of Higuain and Suarez rather than Capoue and Benteke. Far enough, we've failed so far, but I'm not short-sighted enough to see that this is the end of the line at which Wenger has to be judged on. We go through cycles and we're currently just over the trough and looking towards the peak again - our manager deserves the chance to see us through that next wave. If he fails again, then fair enough, but to want Klopp in to spend the money Wenger's had to sacrifice for over the last 8 or so years, is a bit silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    I agree but the result shouldn't be a reflection of our squad. Yes we are thin in numbers but we still have quality to get a trophy. As as I said I'm more worried about the injuries and suspensions than the result..every team has a bad result and its probably good that we got the bad result out of the way early which can be a reality check. It doesn't instantly put Arsenal out of the title or top 4 race like some people on here are saying.
    Our squad has great players, possible title-winners yes. However, as soon as a couple of injuries hit we're just ****ed. Teams that win the trophies have the ability to soldier on through the season because they have a backup plan and an ability to adjust. Arsenal go through periods of great play, awful play, good play, better play, 5 awful games then a good run at the end. Hence, 3rd/4th at best. I cannot fathom why we haven't spent this summer while loaning out Miquel and Djourou. We need them back ASAP. Gervinho wasn't brilliant but he scored. No-one to replace him and we don't play Podolski for some ridiculous reason. We're left with Giroud and Walcott. A talented poacher and an on-off type of guy. Not title winning.

We're carried by Arteta and Santi way too much for us not to be exposed when they're missing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Yeah but what about though? The press wanting Arsenal to come crashing down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I assume so. I didn't realise the press were saying that or maybe I've just not been paying attention enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Funny thing is, this rambling egomaniac does prove everyone wrong, season after season
    Hmm, no he doesn't. Time and time again people point out that we won't compete for the title. Each season we're proved right.

Wenger does deserve extreme gratitude for keeping us afloat in the top 4 but he keeps on saying we can compete for top spot and we can't.

ReputationRep:
    Our squad has great players, possible title-winners yes. However, as soon as a couple of injuries hit we're just ****ed. Teams that win the trophies have the ability to soldier on through the season because they have a backup plan and an ability to adjust. Arsenal go through periods of great play, awful play, good play, better play, 5 awful games then a good run at the end. Hence, 3rd/4th at best. I cannot fathom why we haven't spent this season while loaning out Miquel and Djourou. We need them back ASAP. Gervinho wasn't brilliant but he scored. No-one to replace him and we don't play Podolski for some ridiculous reason. We're left with Giroud and Walcott. A talented poacher and an on-off type of guy. Not title winning.

We're carried by Arteta and Santi way too much for us not to be exposed when they're missing.
    Im glad someone else mentions the importance of arteta theyre are still a couple on here who want to see him out of the team even though we win alot with him in the team maybe he has great leadership skills? I really hope we dont sign flamini though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)

Di matteo no one knew he would win the CL

Rijkaard put together the barca team pep used he definetely has an eye for talent I think and is tactially adept maybe saudi arabia wasnt the team for him?

I think the board should just hire a negotiator for the club on transfers
    I can see your point but its still a bit kneejerk to say we should replace our most successful manger ever for a guy that's had 1 good season

Regarding di matteo, he won the CL because he was at the right place at the right time - that's all

rijkaard is quite simply past it tbh, and no it was guardiola who brought busquests, pedro, dani alves, gerard pique etc into the team, the season rijkaard left barcelona finished below villareal remember?

I don't like it when people imply guardiola simply inherited a world-class squad. If that was true then why did rijkaard not win the league in his final year?

As for the negotiator thing, fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99ja02)
    See what I mean about amateurs on tsr thinking they're smarter than Wenger?
    Listen to what I'm saying.

He is stingy as hell, he thinks the everyone of his targets are being overvalued and there we shouldn't go for them, the fact is there aren't many top players on the market atm so obviously the prices are going to be high.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger reminds me of Dumbledore.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone think we'll buy anyone before Fulham next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Our squad has great players, possible title-winners yes. However, as soon as a couple of injuries hit we're just ****ed. Teams that win the trophies have the ability to soldier on through the season because they have a backup plan and an ability to adjust. Arsenal go through periods of great play, awful play, good play, better play, 5 awful games then a good run at the end. Hence, 3rd/4th at best. I cannot fathom why we haven't spent this summer while loaning out Miquel and Djourou. We need them back ASAP. Gervinho wasn't brilliant but he scored. No-one to replace him and we don't play Podolski for some ridiculous reason. We're left with Giroud and Walcott. A talented poacher and an on-off type of guy. Not title winning.

I completely agree and hence the reason why I've said several times on here that I'm disappointed the way in which Wenger has done business this summer. To say today's match was as result of the failings of this summer is wrong though and that is what I was trying to say. We have a very thin squad and all the injuries and suspension to Kos exposed it well today. Thats why I say that it was a kind of a blessing in disguise cause I have no doubt that Wenger would have bought a couple of players in this summer anyway but he is now going to be forced to sign players asap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Funny thing is, this rambling egomaniac does prove everyone wrong, season after season.

It's down to Wenger that we've weathered through the last 8 years building the Emirates and yet not turned into a Liverpool or a Portsmouth. We've amassed the case reserves we have because of him. He deserves the right to spend that money over the next few seasons to build a title challenging team. That won't happen over the course of one summer, as some fools would like to believe. This isn't just another summer like the rest. We've cleared the deadwood from our ranks and for the first time, we've been linked with players of the calibre of Higuain and Suarez rather than Capoue and Benteke. Far enough, we've failed so far, but I'm not short-sighted enough to see that this is the end of the line at which Wenger has to be judged on. We go through cycles and we're currently just over the trough and looking towards the peak again - our manager deserves the chance to see us through that next wave. If he fails again, then fair enough, but to want Klopp in to spend the money Wenger's had to sacrifice for over the last 8 or so years, is a bit silly.
    Excellent post, I completely agree.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.