Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    In 573 of 650 seats then (88%).

What is the point?
    It does seem a little off that because they haven't demonstrated sufficient support in an area that only holds about 8% of the population, they can't be classed as a major party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Ofcom have decided to grant UKIP only regional major party status by Ofcom as well, this could make it difficult for the BBC to offer UKIP a place on the debated but not the SNP.
    No they haven't. That link of your only details existing major parties from years ago. The link does however notify us all of a public consultation underway where the major party list will be redrawn and published by early March.

NB: Apologies to O133 for quoting him first time around by mistake.

Quoting directly from the page:

Ofcom’s initial view is that UKIP may qualify for major party status in England and Wales for the General Election and English local elections on 7 May 2015.
    Ofcom’s initial view is neither the Green Party (including the Scottish Green Party) nor the TUV have secured sufficient support in previous elections and current opinion polls to be added to Ofcom’s major party list for the purposes of the May 2015 elections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    No they haven't. That link of your only details existing major parties from years ago. The link does however notify us all of a public consultation underway where the major party list will be redrawn and published by early March.

NB: Apologies to O133 for quoting him first time around by mistake.

Quoting directly from the page:
    It's the list as it was and then Ofcom's recommendation that UKIP are given major party status in England and Wales, but not for GB. It's recommendations are now open for consultation before being finalised in March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    It's the list as it was and then Ofcom's recommendation that UKIP are given major party status in England and Wales, but not for GB. It's recommendations are now open for consultation before being finalised in March.
    The lists are divided into a Great Britain list, a Scotland list, and a Wales list. For UKIP to be classified as a major party in England and Wales wold require an additional list to be created. Thus, the likely outcome is UKIP will be counted as a major party on the Great Britain list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    The lists are divided into a Great Britain list, a Scotland list, and a Wales list. For UKIP to be classified as a major party in England and Wales wold require an additional list to be created. Thus, the likely outcome is UKIP will be counted as a major party on the Great Britain list.
    That's not the way I read it, but I guess we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Ukip may not be classed as a major party now, but after this general election when ukip are required to prop up a coalition, ukip will be taken seriously, like they should be!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)
    Ukip may not be classed as a major party now, but after this general election when ukip are required to prop up a coalition, ukip will be taken seriously, like they should be!
    Not sure you'll have enough seats for that, unless its really tight (in which case I can't imagine a coalition lasting long anyway). I think a party needs at least 20 seats or so to find itself in a significant position to balance power. Though could be wrong. We're sailing into unknown waters here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    I'm actually of the opinion that as an underdog, Milliband would actually do rather well in the debates. It'd give him a good chance to show himself directly to the nation, without the "weirdo" layer the media attach to everything else involving him. It's not just Farage DC is scared of.
    I'd agree if Cameron was ahead in the polls but he needs a big win and he'd be the heavy favourite. In a populist format like a televised debate it's very easy to say 'deficit reduced by half' 'economy growing' 'Labour's mess' and not be properly challenged, whereas a normal election campaign will give Labour the space to make their case on their own terms. I just can't see his decision paying off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam9317)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As above. Realistically it'd be a massive stretch for Ukip to reach double figures. It's going to be the Lib Dems and the SNP playing kingmaker.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Cameron. If he has to put up with Ukip trying to eat into the Tory vote then Labour should do too.

Only want a Cameron-Miliband debate personally.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally I would have supported one with UKIP, lib dems and Greens. It seems ridiculous that the Greens and UKIP aren't on the same level regarding status.

RE above, the TUV didn't qualify!?

ReputationRep:
    Cameron is a coward.

ReputationRep:
    Good riddance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30754959

ReputationRep:
    A march against terror led by Benjamin Netanyahu. George Orwell must be facepalming from the grave. Almost surprised not to see Blair and Paisley joining the ranks.

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly Youguv did some polling and found that 57% of people do think Labour would increase taxes on them (one suspects that's a negative for voting intention) however 51% also believe that the Tories will too. This suggests they don't believe Cameron's statement that we can just do spending cuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Interestingly Youguv did some polling and found that 57% of people do think Labour would increase taxes on them (one suspects that's a negative for voting intention) however 51% also believe that the Tories will too. This suggests they don't believe Cameron's statement that we can just do spending cuts.
    I'm sure even Tory voters would accept that since no public sector area is suddenly going to lose all funding, to realistically argue deficit reduction, tax hikes are necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I'm sure even Tory voters would accept that since no public sector area is suddenly going to lose all funding, to realistically argue deficit reduction, tax hikes are necessary.
    It's certainly the easiest way to go about it (not least with ring fences on some spending) however it can be done (whether it should depends on your ideological view obviously).

Personally i want deeper cuts but rather than going to removing the deficit i want that money poured into capital spending (most of it anyway). When it comes to taxation i'd broadly have the same level overall or a bit less but significantly reformed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    A march against terror led by Benjamin Netanyahu. George Orwell must be facepalming from the grave. Almost surprised not to see Blair and Paisley joining the ranks.
    I would be very surprised to have seen Ian Paisley in the march- he died last year.

George Orwell foresaw some of the future- his real name was Eric Blair and he knew the name Blair would have bad associations.

ReputationRep:
    You couldn't make up tonight's polls (both should be regarded as outliers given that all other polls have had them tied.

Today’s twice weekly Populus poll had figures of CON 32%, LAB 37%, LDEM 10%, UKIP 13%, GRN 4% (tabs). The five point Labour lead is the biggest Populus have shown since November, their 37% share the largest any company have shown since November. Labour resurgence?

Lord Ashcroft’s weekly poll however had figures of CON 34%, LAB 28%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 16%, GRN 8% (tabs.) A six point Conservative lead, by far the best poll for the Tories from any company for several years (the largest Tory leads up to now were the last two MORI polls, which had them three points up). Tory surge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    QFA
    Something for you. What a lovely sight this is to see :france:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2015
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.