Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed as well Balo has calmed down a lot, he isn't as unpredictable as he used to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    I've noticed as well Balo has calmed down a lot, he isn't as unpredictable as he used to be.
    Guys had a kid, that is why probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    Guys had a kid, that is why probably.
    The rise of Immobile this season played a part aswell.

ReputationRep:
    I've got no issue with how the club operated frugally pre last summer. We were in a load of **** with the emirates- something the club and the fans as a whole decided was necessary. When you consider that we basically stopped receiving kit money from Nike since 2006, were getting next no money from other commercial deals and didn't have a sugar daddy pumping money into the club- it was impossible to be competitive financially and consequently on the pitch. Also, debts has come down from as high as 400m to around 200m in next to no time. You don't achieve those sort of result without suffering elsewhere. Would people have preferred we went the other way round and let the debt grow and get out of control in return of short term glory?

You think building a stadium is easy? Look at Spurs, forever struggled to find a way to fund their project to the extent that they tried to hold the government to ransom- I'd even say that current Spurs are richer than us when we started the emirates project. Even Liverpool decided to abandoned that idea- if only this option was available for highbury.

Yeah it was annoying to sell the like of Nasri, RVP and Cesc (the only players whose exist was frustrating) but, the club didn't actively try to sell them, those players forced a move out and it would've been simply quaint to keep hold onto them. Contract was on the table for Nasri (whom many would say only had 6 months of good standard and was probably on the infamous 'deadwood') but he decided to change his mind and force a move away. RVP situation is known to all. Cesc wanted his cinderella story and did everything in his power to make it come true.

If the club really did want to cash in on them, why didn't they they sell them when they had more years on their contract and their values would be higher by default?

People keep quoting the cash reserve to be excessive but NOT ALL of it is available for spending on players. What is known is the actually number than we have and the real number that's actually available for players is much more lower- around 70m to come from what I've read rather than; of which around 40m needs to be there to cover the Ozil deal over the years or however much that amounts to.

That been said, there's was no reason to not have got one of suarez or higuain last summer and there's no reason to not spend this summer. Also, we should stop paying corporation tax like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    I've got no issue with how the club operated frugally pre last summer. We were in a load of **** with the emirates- something the club and the fans as a whole decided was necessary. When you consider that we basically stopped receiving kit money from Nike since 2006, were getting next no money from other commercial deals and didn't have a sugar daddy pumping money into the club- it was impossible to be competitive financially and consequently on the pitch. Also, debts has come down from as high as 400m to around 200m in next to no time. You don't achieve those sort of result without suffering elsewhere. Would people have preferred we went the other way round and let the debt grow and get out of control in return of short term glory?

You think building a stadium is easy? Look at Spurs, forever struggled to find a way to fund their project to the extent that they tried to hold the government to ransom- I'd even say that current Spurs are richer than us when we started the emirates project. Even Liverpool decided to abandoned that idea- if only this option was available for highbury.

Yeah it was annoying to sell the like of Nasri, RVP and Cesc (the only players whose exist was frustrating) but, the club didn't actively try to sell them, those players forced a move out and it would've been simply quaint to keep hold onto them. Contract was on the table for Nasri (whom many would say only had 6 months of good standard and was probably on the infamous 'deadwood') but he decided to change his mind and force a move away. RVP situation is known to all. Cesc wanted his cinderella story and did everything in his power to make it come true.

If the club really did want to cash in on them, why didn't they they sell them when they had more years on their contract and their values would be higher by default?

People keep quoting the cash reserve to be excessive but NOT ALL of it is available for spending on players. What is known is the actually number than we have and the real number that's actually available for players is much more lower- around 70m to come from what I've read rather than; of which around 40m needs to be there to cover the Ozil deal over the years or however much that amounts to.

That been said, there's was no reason to not have got one of suarez of higuain last summer and there's no reason to not spend this summer. Also, we should stop paying corporation tax like everyone else.
    How do teams even manage to dodge corporation tax?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    How do teams even manage to dodge corporation tax?
    Because it's not illegal to not pay it, it's just frowned upon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

That been said, there's was no reason to not have got one of suarez of higuain last summer and there's no reason to not spend this summer. Also, we should stop paying corporation tax like everyone else.
    Where's this 70m figure come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    Where's this 70m figure come from?
    So, what is the magic figure Arsenal have as a transfer fund? Given all of the variables described above, it's safest to quote David Bowie, "It ain't easy", when trying to pin this down, but the oft-quoted £70 million is a reasonable estimate.
    From Swiss ramble.

ReputationRep:
    That will be different now with the new sponsorship deals and the new tv deal won't it?

ReputationRep:
    That will be different now with the new sponsorship deals and the new tv deal won't it?
    Yes, hence why there's no more excuses. The debt is manageable. Money flowing in from all angles and loads of it.

I was just pointing out the cash reserve isn't as big in reality as it ostensible appears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Yes, hence why there's no more excuses. The debt is manageable. Money flowing in from all angles and loads of it.

I was just pointing out the cash reserve isn't as big in reality as it ostensible appears.
    Why was there an excuse before? Short term loans could of been taken or the club could of overspent in anticipation of the new deals couldn't they

ReputationRep:
    Why was there an excuse before? Short term loans could of been taken or the club could of overspent in anticipation of the new deals couldn't they
    First paragraph of the original post pretty much deals with this.

How much did City spend to go from 3rd (10/11) to scrapping 1st (11/12)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    First paragraph of the original post pretty much deals with this.

How much did City spend to go from 3rd (10/11) to scrapping 1st (11/12)?
    We could and should of won the title in 08, 10/11 and this season with minimal spending

ReputationRep:
    We could and should of won the title in 08, 10/11 and this season with minimal spending
    You mean more Squillacis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    You mean more Squillacis?
    I think the atletico madrids and dortmunds of this world have shown you don't need to spend a fortune for quality wenger has just spent poorly

ReputationRep:
    I think the atletico madrids and dortmunds of this world have shown you don't need to spend a fortune for quality wenger has just spent poorly
    Although aren't Atletico known for having a great academy?

ReputationRep:
    Says the guy that's saying Wenger should spend 100m or he should to get sacked otherwise. Not like that point has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The funny thing is that the kind of signing those club make e.g. Girouds of this world, people try their hardest to find fault in him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Says the guy that's saying Wenger should spend 100m or he should to get sacked otherwise. Not like that point has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The funny thing is that the kind of signing those club make e.g. Girouds of this world, people try their hardest to find fault in him.
    When did I say he should spend 100m?

I'm also one of the people on here who calls out the idiots who blame giroud for everything :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Although aren't Atletico known for having a great academy?
    Koke and Mario Suarez from their first 11

ReputationRep:
    When did I say he should spend 100m?

I'm also one of the people on here who calls out the idiots who blame giroud for everything :|
    I cab to look through your history but you did. Anyways, what were you doing when waxing lyrics about how great chelsea transfer dealing was?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.