Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Arsenal Society VIII Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz864)
    But Hummels is better than Vermealen and Djourou, in my opinion anyway, also we can't rely on RvP being fit always (and Chamakh is not good enough), just when we think he is going to be fine he gets injured. I do agree with you on Sczesny, but we really need expereince in goal. In the past teams that have won this league have had keepers much older than the age of 20.
    Neuer isn't greatly experienced either. Hummels is very good, yeah, but Djourou and Vermaelen won't want to warm the bench when they could walk into most other teams - and if they leave it will be counterproductive. My opinion is that Verm + Djourou are good enough to be our first choice CBs and therefore it would be senseless to spend a lot of money to replace one of them, especially with Koscielny, who is very good. The same is true for Sczesny. I know he's young, but he's an exceptional talent and he is eccentric, like experienced keepers are. It would be more appropriate to spend some money replacing Squillaci, who isn't really good enough to be a backup.

I agree about Chamakh and RVP though.

ReputationRep:
    For what it is worth I doubt you will be bringing in anyone of any significance. If Cesc stays you will surely need to sell to buy, I can't see any of the midfield going now. Rosicky and Denilson will stay I believe. One is so old you would sold by now, and the other is still young. You don't need a CB you need them all to be fit. Keeper is sorts, and so are the full backs. The only position you need is another striker, Chamakh has only had one season, and any proven striker of a decent age is going to cost £15m+ which Arsenal won't spend.

ReputationRep:
    Vermaelen and Djourou are certainly good enough to be our 1st choice CB partnership but if one/both of them get injured we're screwed. Koscielny can be very hit and miss and the less that's said about Squillachi, the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger-man)
    Vermaelen and Djourou are certainly good enough to be our 1st choice CB partnership but if one/both of them get injured we're screwed. Koscielny can be very hit and miss and the less that's said about Squillachi, the better.
    You are going to struggle to bring in 2 good centre backs who are just going to spend their careers sitting on the bench. You, as most teams would, will almost certainly play your 2 first choice CBs when they are fit and slot another in for the few games they are not. You cannot have a team which plans for a defensive crisis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    You are going to struggle to bring in 2 good centre backs who are just going to spend their careers sitting on the bench. You, as most teams would, will almost certainly play your 2 first choice CBs when they are fit and slot another in for the few games they are not. You cannot have a team which plans for a defensive crisis.
    That's true. I just want an extra CB that is decent enough to cover when Vermaelen or Djourou is injured. Then we can ship Squillachi out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger-man)
    That's true. I just want an extra CB that is decent enough to cover when Vermaelen or Djourou is injured. Then we can ship Squillachi out.
    We've got Bartley coming back from Rangers. He seems half decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxh800)
    We've got Bartley coming back from Rangers. He seems half decent.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. Rumours say he may leave if we sign another CB in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhinger)
    Well, Vela's been relatively impressive with WBA. He's scored 2 or 3 for them coming off the bench I think.
    Lansbury's performed much better (admittedly in a lower league) and his overall work ethic is much better than that of Vela, and I'm almost certain Lansbury has more goals/assists on loan than Vela does.

If Vela isn't starting games for WBA then he can't be expecting to start any for us either.

And while Hummels may (debatably) be better than Vermaelen or Djourou, there is no guarantee he will adapt (look at Squillaci coming from Sevilla where he was impressive) and Dortmund would want ridiculous amounts of money for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Lansbury's performed much better (admittedly in a lower league) and his overall work ethic is much better than that of Vela, and I'm almost certain Lansbury has more goals/assists on loan than Vela does.

If Vela isn't starting games for WBA then he can't be expecting to start any for us either.

And while Hummels may (debatably) be better than Vermaelen or Djourou, there is no guarantee he will adapt (look at Squillaci coming from Sevilla where he was impressive) and Dortmund would want ridiculous amounts of money for him.
    Yeah but I doubt Lansbury will be given starts next season as well. What will most probably happen with Lansbury is that he'll spend another season on loan, probably in the Premier League, to get ready for the season after.

Vela, for me, is prepared to play for Arsenal. I mean if Bendtner features, then surely Vela should be featuring as well. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I don't know why people think Dortmund are going to start selling their prize assets after just winning the league at a canter.

Same with Liverpool fans obsession with Sahin (Who'd be a boss replacement for Cesc actually)

I'd be very suprised if Dortmuind sold ANY of their top players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)
    I don't know why people think Dortmund are going to start selling their prize assets after just winning the league at a canter.

Same with Liverpool fans obsession with Sahin (Who'd be a boss replacement for Cesc actually)

English fan arrogance tbh. This has been going on since November. Dortmund have finally sorted their finances out, got a very young and talented squad and will want a decent crack at the CL next year.
    Unless someone kicks up a massive fuss it'd be ridiculous for anyone to leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L18)

Dortmund admit Sahin issue

Sahin is contracted to the club until 2013, but it is believed that he has an agreement that will enable him to leave the club at the end of the season for a set fee - which is reported to be just over £5million.

ReputationRep:
    Sakho at PSG is a realistic option though - he'd still be expensive, but PSG are in financial difficulties and struggling in Ligue 1.

ReputationRep:
    He supposedly wants to stay in France for at least one more season if recent reports are anything to go by.

Has anyone actually seen him at btw? Or is it just based on FM?

Ive seen him a couple of times and one of the games he was playing that badly he got hooked before half time.

ReputationRep:
    I've watched a few games - he's certainly over-rated by FM, but I consider him to be an incredibly confident, consistent CB.

In terms of other games I've watched recently, I was very impressed by Nélson Marcos while watching the Basque derby at the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Just over 2 hours till kick off. I think Arsenal will win this 2-1. Come on you Gooners!

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of Fabregas' comments about Arsenal's (lack of a) winning mentality? And how does it compare to Gallas' a couple of years back?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you would drop Wilshere in a game like this. Stupid.

ReputationRep:
    There must be some sort of reason behind it, don't really know what Diaby offers, he's **** and gives us a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger did say in his pre-match build up that Wilshere might be getting a breather for some of the next games.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.