Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    What do you guys do when you're sat in MDT meetings and the like? I've been in a few now at my MedSoc and I don't really do much apart from look intersted and wonder what the **** all these acronyms mean. I've sat in a general weekly child protection meeting (was really just organising check ups) and a general monthly meeting and a few others.

Obviously I speak when addressed to but that doesn't happen very often. Usually just to explain something breifly at the begining. I don't sit there like an autistic child and I do interact socially (laugh, etc) I just don't say very much at all which is odd for me, mostly because I think it would be out of place for me to say something usually.

What do you do?
    The only one I have been to so far involved sitting on the floor trying to not fall asleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    The only one I have been to so far involved sitting on the floor trying to not fall asleep
    ^^This
    And asked to present patients at the beginning. Not so fun in psychiatry, especially when im sure they have all signed a conspiracy deal to tell me complete lies or to think im some kind of freaky perception.
    If i get psychistry as a job im jumping off a bridge.

Whats internal medicine??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I have a copy.
    Cheers but won't need it anymore as Beska sent me a copy. Thanks though!

(Original post by carcinoma)
    Yea it seems to have been a decision that was already made without any input from any of the students.

It will begin at the 2013 intake, so the 2012 intake will be the last of Peninsula Medical School in its current set up.
    That really sucks :/ its such a drastic step though, sure perhaps the parent universities didn't agree on some aspect of education/research/funding/etc but to actually close down the medical school is a big step!

(Original post by fairy spangles)
    ^^This
    And asked to present patients at the beginning. Not so fun in psychiatry, especially when im sure they have all signed a conspiracy deal to tell me complete lies or to think im some kind of freaky perception.
    Or if they tell you something that they haven't told the doctors (because they think the doctors are all co-conspirators).

What do you guys do when you're sat in MDT meetings and the like? I've been in a few now at my MedSoc and I don't really do much apart from look intersted and wonder what the **** all these acronyms mean. I've sat in a general weekly child protection meeting (was really just organising check ups) and a general monthly meeting and a few others.

Obviously I speak when addressed to but that doesn't happen very often. Usually just to explain something breifly at the begining. I don't sit there like an autistic child and I do interact socially (laugh, etc) I just don't say very much at all which is odd for me, mostly because I think it would be out of place for me to say something usually.

What do you do?
    Sat in two psych MDT meetings. It was so long (and incredibly boring), it was just about allocating new patients to where and deciding whether some are eleigible to be referred further on or to another service. (I stopped listening half way through).

But have sat in cancer MDT meetings which are much more interesting - consultant always asks his medical students about diseases, so always get grilled about what kind of cancer can cause this and that etc and do get much more involved.

I know MDT meetings are important as they're useful for the foundation application situational judgement questions, but most are boring and I always end up thinking about something completely irrelevant to Medicine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You try finding non-frumpy decent work clothes then!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    Somebody complaining about your attire? :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    Erm easy!
    Can wear pretty much whatever at my hospital. Unless its too much bum/breastage flashing!
    Why whos said what?

ReputationRep:
    omg...sociology of medicine...ZZzzzzz...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Somebody complaining about your attire? :console:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Erm easy!
    Can wear pretty much whatever at my hospital. Unless its too much bum/breastage flashing!
    Why whos said what?
    :sadnod: I generally have to put a strappy top underneath whatever I'm wearing which makes me uber hot in overheated hospitals and liable to faint, but apparently that's still not good enough. What do they want me to wear? A burka? :sigh: I harboured a mild dislike for shopping before med school, now I loathe it. Why can't we just have scrubs as our uniform. Would be so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Never knew you get free lunches provided in x-ray meetings! What a lovely group of people

ReputationRep:
    This, except replace "on the floor" with "on the front row, with a webcam facing you to share the meeting with three other hospitals" :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    This, except replace "on the floor" with "on the front row, with a webcam facing you to share the meeting with three other hospitals" :facepalm:
    :rofl:

I fell asleep in an M&M meeting of surgery. One of the regs spotted and glared at me

ReputationRep:
    PMS splitting up into two? Pffff... I know which university I'd choose!

That's bad news, but meh if they are determined to do it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    PMS splitting up into two? Pffff... I know which university I'd choose!

That's bad news, but meh if they are determined to do it...
    Plymouth :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Loooooooool, I will get negged to hell if I gave my opinion :p:

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I would much rather study in Plymouth than Exeter....:eek:

ReputationRep:
    First lot of summative medical exams over and done with. Time to hit the booze...right after my nap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rumandraisin)
    First lot of summative medical exams over and done with. Time to hit the booze...right after my nap.
    Post-exam naps are the best thing ever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Post-exam naps are the best thing ever!
    :coma:

They are. I used to do that after my A Level exams. Now, people just tend to gravitate towards the nearest Spoons.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetchilli)
    omg...sociology of medicine...ZZzzzzz...
    zzzzzzz

ReputationRep:

What do you do?
    It used to be Angry Bird. But I ran out of levels long long ago.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.