Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How the heck are tottenham reportedly nearing a 15m deal with Roma for Osvaldo and we're not trying to buy all 3 of Osvaldo, Lamela & Pjanic??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    Im glad someone else mentions the importance of arteta theyre are still a couple on here who want to see him out of the team even though we win alot with him in the team maybe he has great leadership skills? I really hope we dont sign flamini though
    There's some statistic out there that shows how important Arteta is. Something like, up until the spring we didn't lose a game when he played.

I'm sure Flamini's okay, but it is a step back ain't it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Anyone think we'll buy anyone before Fulham next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Arteta, Rosicky, Ramsey, Sagna (and Chamberlain?) all injured before the first week is even finished. Think its inevitable that you will; but who, Flamini?

ReputationRep:
    How the heck are tottenham reportedly nearing a 15m deal with Roma for Osvaldo and we're not trying to buy all 3 of Osvaldo, Lamela & Pjanic??
    Osvaldo isn't really all that good and definitely not a step up from Giroud.
    Pjanic + Lamela together will cost about 60m euro. Agree that we should definitely try for Lamela if he is available.

ReputationRep:
    We haven't won the first match of the season since 2009, that's terrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabiusMaximus)
    Hmm, no he doesn't. Time and time again people point out that we won't compete for the title. Each season we're proved right.

Wenger does deserve extreme gratitude for keeping us afloat in the top 4 but he keeps on saying we can compete for top spot and we can't.
    No. Nobody has expected us to compete for the title for the past 3-4 years. No-one. If you honestly expected that from Arsenal, with the financial constraints we've been under, you deserve to be left disappointed for your delusions. What the chorus has sung over the past 2 seasons, is that this is the worst Arsenal side in Wenger's history and it can't get top 4. The shameless ***** didn't learn their lesson in 2011-2012 when they predicted us to fall to mid-table Liverpool mediocrity. And they still didn't learn the same lesson last season. It's the same ****, and Wenger, despite the obstacles - some admittedly self-inflicted- still manages to pull the rabbit out of the hat and leaves the numpties red-faced with their pants down.

Wenger says a lot **** tbh. We can't compete for top spot. Not yet. We may be heading towards that direction again, but it will take a season or two to get it right - in terms of new top quality signings, booting the deadwood passengers and improving the current squad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    the fact is there aren't many top players on the market atm so obviously the prices are going to be high.
    And what makes you such an expert on the transfer market lol, it's not like you know what really goes on behind the scenes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    I completely agree and hence the reason why I've said several times on here that I'm disappointed the way in which Wenger has done business this summer. To say today's match was as result of the failings of this summer is wrong though and that is what I was trying to say. We have a very thin squad and all the injuries and suspension to Kos exposed it well today. Thats why I say that it was a kind of a blessing in disguise cause I have no doubt that Wenger would have bought a couple of players in this summer anyway but he is now going to be forced to sign players asap.
    I agree with you but I think that today saw a real weak team, unprepared and torn apart by a smaller team. The ref was undoubtedly a **** but we opened our defence up to them to begin with. No 1 on 1 then no penalties, rightly or wrongly.

He needs to buy buy and buy soon. I honestly want Wenger gone. It saddens me to say that but I just don't think that he knows what direction he's going in and now he's snapping at the media.

ReputationRep:
    Im glad someone else mentions the importance of arteta theyre are still a couple on here who want to see him out of the team even though we win alot with him in the team maybe he has great leadership skills? I really hope we dont sign flamini though
    I don't we have a hoice, we need numbers. Flamini is a free agent I think he would be good as backup on 20k a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Funny thing is, this rambling egomaniac does prove everyone wrong, season after season.

It's down to Wenger that we've weathered through the last 8 years building the Emirates and yet not turned into a Liverpool or a Portsmouth. We've amassed the case reserves we have because of him. He deserves the right to spend that money over the next few seasons to build a title challenging team. That won't happen over the course of one summer, as some fools would like to believe. This isn't just another summer like the rest. We've cleared the deadwood from our ranks and for the first time, we've been linked with players of the calibre of Higuain and Suarez rather than Capoue and Benteke. Far enough, we've failed so far, but I'm not short-sighted enough to see that this is the end of the line at which Wenger has to be judged on. We go through cycles and we're currently just over the trough and looking towards the peak again - our manager deserves the chance to see us through that next wave. If he fails again, then fair enough, but to want Klopp in to spend the money Wenger's had to sacrifice for over the last 8 or so years, is a bit silly.
    Everyone said we should add one or two players to project youth to turn them into serious proper contenders but wenger was too stubborn to do it, now that team has crumbled around him with barely a whiff of the title but he's proved everyone wrong ? The only way he has proved everyone wrong is if to over glorify getting in the top 4 and overstate the lack of funds he had

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    Osvaldo isn't really all that good and definitely not a step up from Giroud.
    Pjanic + Lamela together will cost about 60m euro. Agree that we should definitely try for Lamela if he is available.
    Yh i agree on the osvaldo thing but i think Lamela should be a target I mean we would have a actual wide forward if we were to buy him. Apparently RM are trying to sell one of their players not sure which but ppl are saying Ozil although kaka would seem the most logical choice for RM imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    No. Nobody has expected us to compete for the title for the past 3-4 years. No-one. If you honestly expected that from Arsenal, with the financial constraints we've been under, you deserve to be left disappointed for your delusions. What the chorus has sung over the past 2 seasons, is that this is the worst Arsenal side in Wenger's history and it can't get top 4. The shameless ***** didn't learn their lesson in 2011-2012 when they predicted us to fall to mid-table Liverpool mediocrity. And they still didn't learn the same lesson last season. It's the same ****, and Wenger, despite the obstacles - some admittedly self-inflicted- still manages to pull the rabbit out of the hat and leaves the numpties red-faced with their pants down.

Wenger says a lot **** tbh. We can't compete for top spot. Not yet. We may be heading towards that direction again, but it will take a season or two to get it right - in terms of new top quality signings, booting the deadwood passengers and improving the current squad.
    All very true. But he hasn't improved the squad this summer. This year, this season we have a chance to compete. We have the funds and he's not used it. Altogether, we have a slightly weaker squad from last season. Wenger cannot be excused for that while fans pay the highest price for tickets in Britain, if not Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Everyone said we should add one or two players to project youth to turn them into serious proper contenders
    Er mate, wenger has signed plenty of experienced players over the last 2 and a half seasons, now people are moaning at him for not blowing 55 million on one player.

ReputationRep:
    Tor-Kristian karlen (Guardian) saying on Twitter he has it on good authority Arsenal are interested in Athletic Bilbao midfielder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99ja02)
    And what makes you such an expert on the transfer market lol, it's not like you know what really goes on behind the scenes.
    Well we keep hearing the same things about us pulling out due to price. It's obvious if there are only a few players but many clubs looking for players that prices will be inflated.

Higuain, 32m is a bit too much but its better than not getting him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99ja02)
    Er mate, wenger has signed plenty of experienced players over the last 2 and a half seasons, now people are moaning at him for not blowing 55 million on one player.
    He finally started buying some experienced players now the clubs been asset stripped of our best players ? Halle ****ing lujah, I am quite obviously on about 4-5 years ago when project youth was in its infancy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    I don't we have a hoice, we need numbers. Flamini is a free agent I think he would be good as backup on 20k a week
    Do you honestly believe he will play for 20k a week?? I wouldnt want him back he completely screwed the team back when the team was really good to go to a European competitor im suprised he has been allowed near the team tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Everyone said we should add one or two players to project youth to turn them into serious proper contenders but wenger was too stubborn to do it, now that team has crumbled around him with barely a whiff of the title but he's proved everyone wrong ? The only way he has proved everyone wrong is if to over glorify getting in the top 4 and overstate the lack of funds he had
    Bit of an old argument is that- and speculative at best? He's pretty much accepted his youth project didn't work and changed tact accordingly. That shipped sailed a while ago. We had no right to be title contenders with the money we had spent in those seasons. If Wenger fooled you into believing we were genuinely just short of a title winning team, then hats off to the old codger. Wenger's the victim of his own success, and it pains me to say it, but maybe we genuinely have to hit rock-bottom to be humbled enough to get back up. Maybe that united **** is right when he says Arsenal fans appear a little too arrogant and smug. Fortunately for us though, Wenger hasn't let that happen. If stagnating at 4th position is hitting rock bottom - Wenger, I ****ing salute you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabiusMaximus)
    Wenger cannot be excused for that while fans pay the highest price for tickets in Britain, if not Europe.
    Maybe in england but definately not in europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Tor-Kristian karlen (Guardian) saying on Twitter he has it on good authority Arsenal are interested in Athletic Bilbao midfielder
    weren't we in for amorebieta ? hes a defender unless its someone else now

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.