Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    labour shoudln't even bother trying to oust corbyn just to replace him with eagle. In any candidate that would get voted in by the current rabid membership has to be positioned on the left to appease them. So Labour cannot, mathematically, win the next election. Chucka Ummana is waiting for the left to learn their lesson (again) before he comes in 2020 and then he might, depending on the level of labours devastation in 2020 (possibly Corbyn/leftwing cadidate wins back scotland?) has a chance of winning in 2025.
    Well given all I hear from all wings of the party is that Ummuna dropped out due to some really big skeletons in his closet, which he thought were hidden till he announced last yeast, I don't imagine such a run would be possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Well given all I hear from all wings of the party is that Ummuna dropped out due to some really big skeletons in his closet, which he thought were hidden till he announced last yeast, I don't imagine such a run would be possible
    shame for democracy tbh.

Also you have access to the wings of the labour party?!

ReputationRep:
    shame for democracy tbh.

Also you have access to the wings of the labour party?!
    I'm a fairly proactive member, and you hear stuff when enjoying a drink with friends

ReputationRep:
    Ironic that on a day when some Protestants celebrate a defeat over Catholics, the football team those narrow minded Orangemen and women hate the most should suffer an embarrassing defeat. For those unaware, Celtic lost a European qualifier to a team from Gibraltar.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "Invest your money in a German savings account and you'll double it -- in 1,400 years!! Better than Japan, where it would take 7,000 years!"

Just heard May's brief speech for the first time, and she pronounced "wall" wrong, pretty sure it isn't pronounced "better Britain"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Owen Smith declares he's standing.
    I think Eagle will withdraw and was simply a stalking horse.

I'm not saying Smith will win a GE for Labour but he certainly has more chance than Corbyn or Eagle. Also he comes from the centre of the party so probably the best unity candidate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Owen Smith declares he's standing.
    I think Eagle will withdraw and was simply a stalking horse.

I'm not saying Smith will win a GE for Labour but he certainly has more chance than Corbyn or Eagle. Also he comes from the centre of the party so probably the best unity candidate.
    There's no such thing as a unity candidate as long as Momentum is an actual force

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    There's no such thing as a unity candidate as long as Momentum is an actual force

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, unless Smith adopts some flagship Corbyn policies.

The party base is more left wing than the party and smith from the soft left has s far better chance of beating Corbyn than Eagle does.

If Corbyn wins I predict a party split.*

ReputationRep:
    True, unless Smith adopts some flagship Corbyn policies.

The party base is more left wing than the party and smith from the soft left has s far better chance of beating Corbyn than Eagle does.

If Corbyn wins I predict a party split.*
    I think Corbyn needs to commit to proportional representation if he wants to hold the party together until the next general election. The argument (privately) would be "if you want to split then fine, just wait until we can do it without committing electoral suicide."

ReputationRep:
    We rightly rejected a referendum for PR five minutes ago i see no mandate for another vote
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    We rightly rejected a referendum for PR five minutes ago i see no mandate for another vote
    How is it right? And 5 minutes ago?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    How is it right? And 5 minutes ago?
    because pr is dumb, and it wasnt long ago
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    because pr is dumb, and it wasnt long ago
    Great argument totally convinced:rolleyes:
    We have never rejected PR.

ReputationRep:
    the justification for PR is that it's "more democratic".

However the most democratic election result would be a Tory Labour coalition; where nobody gets what they want, in EVERY SINGLE ELECTION.

Thus the paradox of unlimited democracy presents itself. ]

Also under PR you just get UKIP being king makers to the tories every single time. The smaller parties choose who rules the country.

Increased democracy in method results in less democratic outcomes, hence why civilised societies have some kind of limit to it, through Parliament or congress etc.

ReputationRep:
    we rejected AV. AV is not PR. AV is not s proportional system.

ReputationRep:
    we rejected AV. AV is not PR. AV is not s proportional system.
    same pitfalls
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    the justification for PR is that it's "more democratic".

However the most democratic election result would be a Tory Labour coalition; where nobody gets what they want, in EVERY SINGLE ELECTION.

Thus the paradox of unlimited democracy presents itself.

Also under PR you just get UKIP being king makers to the tories every single time. The smaller parties choose who rules the country.

Increased democracy in method results in less democratic outcomes, hence why civilised societies have some kind of limit to it, through Parliament or congress etc.
    no that wouldn't be most democratic and I can't see why you think it would be. Any party which can form a majority coalition has the most democratic right to form a government.

The smaller parties are still teh voices of people. Or should we just tell people 'you are either labour or conservative there are no other options'

And that last sentence makes no sense. Are you saying that any government using PR is uncivilised?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What a wonderful few minutes this has been with Her Majesty having absolute control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    What a wonderful few minutes this has been with Her Majesty having absolute control.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Shame she didn't say "no I want corbyn"

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron has already changed his Tiwtter bio.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.