Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    Doesn't matter what scheme a coach will have in mind, you scheme around the players you have. If you have one of the best shutdown corners, really really good in press coverage, you should utilise less zone, and let him take wr's to revis island.

Dayum the Broncos overpaid. Very, very bad move. I mean it's aggressive. But the wrong move. At that point Verner was available and the bucs got him for $26.5m on a 4 year contract ($14m guaranteed.) A $57m ($26m guaranteed) 6 year contract, for someone who is injury prone and has very questionable character issues is a risk, for sure, when it really shouldn't have been. If it works, the franchise does well in the very short to short term, which is unsustainable, kicking the can down the road and leading to ruin in the future. Or if he fails, well, it'll set the franchise back a couple of years as well. Furthermore, it means that DRC will be allowed to walk. He was one of the better cover corners in the league and DRC and Chris Harris Jr. were very effective together. As it is, corner wasn't really the Broncos weak point last year. It was the awful safety play and lack of pass rush. They have addressed SS with TJ Ward (thanks, browns!) but Quinton Carter was getting healthy again. So now that position has depth.

I don't know where I stand regarding the signing of ware. He seems to be a better fit for the 4-3, but he got decent production in the 3-4. Maybe Allen would have been a better fit, but nevertheless Ware is excellent if he can stay healthy.

Bad move letting Edelman walk. Very bad move. The guy moves house to 'play catch' with Tom Brady, working on building chemistry and they want to start again?? If it wasn't the patriots, I would say they are crazy but still, a boneheaded move.

Coach BB loves sticking it to the Jets, doesn't he? I feel Patriots and Bucs are the winners, Broncos and Titans losers out of all this, in this corner square dance.
    Not sure how that guy can say he's overrated. Revis is a flat out beast. I'm super pissed about Edelman though, two years we could be letting toms favorite target go.

Revis island i look forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    Doesn't matter what scheme a coach will have in mind, you scheme around the players you have. If you have one of the best shutdown corners, really really good in press coverage, you should utilise less zone, and let him take wr's to revis island.
    I really didn't get why they couldn't come up with a scheme where they pretty much stick to zone coverage, except put Revis in man coverage on the other team's No. 1 receiver. Hopefully he'll have a better time with the pats, I can't see Belichick wasting him like the bucs did.

ReputationRep:
    Man coverage all day

ReputationRep:
    Real interesting decision by Lovie to name Mccown his starter. I can understand why but I'm not sure some of the fans will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ..DT..)
    Real interesting decision by Lovie to name Mccown his starter. I can understand why but I'm not sure some of the fans will.
    I really thought they would stick with Glennon and let him develop a bit. It's not like McCown's got that much time left in the NFL, when compared to Glennon.

ReputationRep:
    Eric Decker to the Jets

We badly needed a decent Wide Receiver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I really thought they would stick with Glennon and let him develop a bit. It's not like McCown's got that much time left in the NFL, when compared to Glennon.
    My view is that Lovie is looking at this division right now and seeing the saints side which is losing players left right and centre, a poor falcons side and a panthers offense which basically has 1 player on it.

Now in the long run Glennon probably could be a solid starter, but never an equivalent of what the Saints or Panthers have. We rarely asked him to make risks last season and I think that slightly boosted his stat line. Mccown I think will be able to take more risks and feel less pressure of putting up a complete season in what I guess Lovie sees as a window of opportunity. But really we are going to be riding our defense again, hoping that the few offensive pieces we have click.

ReputationRep:
    Man now need to either extend wilfork or cut him. That cap hit is just too damn high. Also wish we could cut mankins but o lines are usually better when there's consistency. Seen we're talking to browner wouldn't mind him as a sort of cb/ss hybrid. Also please bill re-sign Edelman!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    How is he overrated? Interested to hear this one. :rolleyes:
    Over the hill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    Over the hill
    How so? He's 28. Sure he's a money whore but he's better than pretty much every corner in man coverage.

ReputationRep:
    How so? He's 28. Sure he's a money whore but he's better than pretty much every corner in man coverage.
    Dat 2015 option. No way he's in NE after this season, they're not going to spend $20M on a corner, it's Super Bowl or bust for the pats this year. Unless they give him a massive extension after this season that is.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure how that guy can say he's overrated. Revis is a flat out beast. I'm super pissed about Edelman though, two years we could be letting toms favorite target go.

Revis island i look forward to it.
    Not a critique of revis. He's a top three corner in the league, two years removed from an ACL injury and in his prime. Great deal done by the pats, with an option for 2015. It was my intention to have a critique of the way the bucs have handled the situation, and he seemed a square peg in a round hole there.

I just don't like Talib, but now that he's a Bronco, I need to wish him well. It just sucks that Denver has to say goodbye to Champ Bailey (free up cap space -- probably going to happen anyway but the bigger cap space allowed such a monstrous deal to get him) and (imminently, as the broncos have cut off contract talks) DRC to accommodate him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Dat 2015 option. No way he's in NE after this season, they're not going to spend $20M on a corner, it's Super Bowl or bust for the pats this year. Unless they give him a massive extension after this season that is.
    The cap is supposed to be going up. Patriots aready have plans to lock him up if this feel out period goes well.

ReputationRep:
    Uneventful off-season for the Rams so far (besides Saffoldgate, of course), which isn't a bad thing.

Re-signed Dunbar and we're interested in Antonio Smith as well. If we do get Smith, I really can't see us going for Clowney. We'd have two of the best bookends in the league (Long and Quinn), as well as two very capable back-ups in William Hayes and (potentially) Smith. Clowney's just not a fit for us.

ReputationRep:
    The cap is supposed to be going up. Patriots aready have plans to lock him up if this feel out period goes well.
    By about $10M yeah? I would have thought they would want to invest some money to get a new QB, Brady probably won't be around for too much longer...

Would be nice if they had the cap space, a well coached Revis in a scheme designed for him is going to be scary.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man browner to the patriots think we have the second best cornerback unit in the league now. Revis, browner, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan. My god :coma:

Pass rusher and weapons now please!

ReputationRep:
    Oh man browner to the patriots think we have the second best cornerback unit in the league now. Revis, browner, Dennard, Arrington, Ryan. My god :coma:

Pass rusher and weapons now please!
    Patriots are in 'Win Now' mode for sure, absolutely going in on FA's! If only you had a receiver or two, and TE. You can pick up a receiver or two in the ridiculously deep WR draft, could certainly deal with TE there too with a guy like Sefarian-Jenkins or Amaro and the Patsies will be well in the hunt again. Can't you just fall off the wagon for a bit or something, the Patriots are always there or there abouts and frankly it's kind of annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Patriots are in 'Win Now' mode for sure, absolutely going in on FA's! If only you had a receiver or two, and TE. You can pick up a receiver or two in the ridiculously deep WR draft, could certainly deal with TE there too with a guy like Sefarian-Jenkins or Amaro and the Patsies will be well in the hunt again. Can't you just fall off the wagon for a bit or something, the Patriots are always there or there abouts and frankly it's kind of annoying.
    Yeah we definitely are going in hard. Draft wise can sign a good receiver and then just resign Edelman. Tight end want Lyerla and freiderweitz or however the hell is spelt. Need a few options on o line too then we look pretty damn comfy a lot of our stars coming back as well. mayo, vollmer, gronk.

ReputationRep:
    miami dolphins !!!

Name:  960351133cc8540c3032180c702c87f4.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  39.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we definitely are going in hard. Draft wise can sign a good receiver and then just resign Edelman. Tight end want Lyerla and freiderweitz or however the hell is spelt. Need a few options on o line too then we look pretty damn comfy a lot of our stars coming back as well. mayo, vollmer, gronk.
    Yeah you do look comfy. After deciding to pick up the Jags permanently now because they're the UK's team and I'm off to see them at Wembley (shan the Cowboys and their circus) I actually quite like how their free agency is shaping up. Scared on QB though, I have my own (basically unfounded opinions because I don't watch enough college ball) on the draft class and the only thing I can say for certain is that if Derek Carr is under centre I'll be really annoyed. I'd love to see Manziel, I don't mind the high risk pick because the Jags aren't just a few pieces of the puzzle away from the playoffs, they probably have the worst roster in the league. It would only be a 1/2 year setback on a team that'll take at least 3 years to be in legitimate contention if all goes well anyway. I'm not sold on Bridgewater just because I've seen no wow factor, he's solid and solid usually doesn't win the big games. Bortles I really don't think I know enough about at all, he looks right on measuremnts obviously, apparently threw well at Pro Day too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.