Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Bit of an old argument is that- and speculative at best? He's pretty much accepted his youth project didn't work and changed tact accordingly. That shipped sailed a while ago. We had no right to be title contenders with the money we had spent in those seasons. If Wenger fooled you into believing we were genuinely just short of a title winning team, then hats off to the old codger.
    Well it's the best example of his stubborn desperation to be proved right, might be old but it's still effecting the club to this day isn't it, the way everything went with cesc Nasri RVP etc didn't need to happen, you can go on about what he spent in that period but the club found 10m to bribe Henry to stay one more year easy enough and didn't have much problem accommodating a ludicrous wage bill including wengers own massive salary, don't think we were offering jelly beans when we very nearly signed xabi alonso off Liverpool either

We were 5 points clear in Feb before Eduardo and Rosicky got hurt, 2010-11 it was in our hands in March, maybe you are the one whos been fooled by Wenger trying to erradicate the club of any standards and ambition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99ja02)
    Maybe in england but definately not in europe.
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...-league-europe

Have a look at this. I can only see 4 or 5 other clubs in the table with higher prices than Arsenal for each table. Which makes my point the same, we are being ripped off. Look at Germany's teams ffs. Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how bad the Sagna and Gibbs injuries are? Will they be back for next week-end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    Well we keep hearing the same things about us pulling out due to price. It's obvious if there are only a few players but many clubs looking for players that prices will be inflated.

Most of those rumors were probably made up and 40 million euros for higuain is more than just "a bit too much", it's a massive rip-off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    weren't we in for amorebieta ? hes a defender unless its someone else now
    Really would like us to go for another good defender. Those saying Williams would never happen because he'd be fourth choice look a bit silly now. It was the same argument with Mertesacker - why would an experienced German international play third-spot in a top four side. If someone of the quality and experience of Williams were in an Arsenal shirt now, he would easily be vying for that first team spot. Never have been convinced with Mertesacker and Koscielny still has a penchant for red-cards.

ReputationRep:
    Wenger says a lot **** tbh. We can't compete for top spot. Not yet. We may be heading towards that direction again, but it will take a season or two to get it right - in terms of new top quality signings, booting the deadwood passengers and improving the current squad.
    Wenger has handled this transfer window horribly so far. He's shipped a lot of deadwood and reinforced no position in the squad, except bringing in an unproven striker. It doesn't make any sense at all. What do you expect to happen when you barely have a full squad available, going into the beginning of the season with multiple injuries, plus a pivotal and grueling CL qualifying fixture sandwiched between? One game has gone and we fell to pieces at home against Aston Villa.

And while it's true that we shouldn't expect to be contenders in a flash after 8 years of (relative to the absolute top and our past) mediocrity, I can't really blame anyone for being pissed off. We were supposed to have the money and we've done **** all with it so far except fail at making deals. Hopefully something happens in the next two weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabiusMaximus)
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...-league-europe

Have a look at this. I can only see 4 or 5 other clubs in the table with higher prices than Arsenal for each table. Which makes my point the same, we are being ripped off. Look at Germany's teams ffs. Disgusting.
    Our prices might be high but I counted around 18 teams with higher prices than us in at least 2 out of the four categories.

ReputationRep:
    Had to here from a customer at work we got beaten 3-1 by Villa... I mean what. This has nothing to do with the transfer window, we are more than good enough as we are to have beaten them 3-1. **** first game.

ReputationRep:
    AW needs to sign a defensive midfielder, winger, centre-half and a 20 goals a season striker, otherwise we can kiss goodbye to champions league football next year. Thought the boo's and taunts towards AW towards the end of the game today were disrespectful, it should be the board the fans take their anger out upon. The best change in the club would be to get David Dein back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Well it's the best example of his stubborn desperation to be proved right, might be old but it's still effecting the club to this day isn't it, the way everything went with cesc Nasri RVP etc didn't need to happen, you can go on about what he spent in that period but the club found 10m to bribe Henry to stay one more year easy enough and didn't have much problem accommodating a ludicrous wage bill including wengers own massive salary, don't think we were offering jelly beans when we very nearly signed xabi alonso off Liverpool either
    It may be your best example, but it's old news and certainly not an argument to want Wenger gone now. Project youth was as much to do with his desire - our need - to work within a self-sustainable model as it was about his own ego. He didn't have to venture along the path he did - he could probably have continued the path he was already on. Instead, he took on a mammoth of a challenge which will truly be realised in years to come. Fair enough he took risks, made mistakes and stroked his stubborn ego - but I can forgive him that because he deserved it. Point still remains, we were making gravy and expecting it to taste like caviar.

ReputationRep:
    Our prices might be high but I counted around 18 teams with higher prices than us in at least 2 out of the four categories.
    Arsenal has the most expensive of the cheapest season tickets in Europe. Point stands. All the other categories we're either in the most expensive or close to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r4dical)
    AW needs to sign a defensive midfielder, winger, centre-half and a 20 goals a season striker, otherwise we can kiss goodbye to champions league football next year. Thought the boo's and taunts towards AW towards the end of the game today were disrespectful, it should be the board the fans take their anger out upon. The best change in the club would be to get David Dein back.
    TBH if it were a couple of seasons ago I could see where u r coming from with the board thing bt the fact gadizis said we have money to spend and will buy as well as wenger sayin we will buy I think lots of ppl are angry at wenger for not buying when he said he would so I dont think we canfault the board in regards to signings tbh as it seems that wenger is the making them or not making them should i say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Wenger has handled this transfer window horribly so far. He's shipped a lot of deadwood and reinforced no position in the squad, except bringing in an unproven striker. It doesn't make any sense at all. What do you expect to happen when you barely have a full squad available, going into the beginning of the season with multiple injuries, plus a pivotal and grueling CL qualifying fixture sandwiched between? One game has gone and we fell to pieces at home against Aston Villa.

And while it's true that we shouldn't expect to be contenders in a flash after 8 years of (relative to the absolute top and our past) mediocrity, I can't really blame anyone for being pissed off. We were supposed to have the money and we've done **** all with it so far except fail at making deals. Hopefully something happens in the next two weeks.
    At least give him some credit for finally getting rid of so much deadwood. Jeez you guys were complaining when we still had them now he gets rid of them you are still complaining - give the man a break.

ReputationRep:
    It may be your best example, but it's old news and certainly not an argument to want Wenger gone now. Project youth was as much to do with his desire - our need - to work within a self-sustainable model as it was about his own ego. Point still remains, we were making gravy and expecting it to taste like caviar.
    Its not an argument to want Wenger gone it just shows he doesnt prove everyone wrong every year, we were 5 points clear in Feb in 07-08 or whatever season it was Eduardo got hurt and 2010-11 we had it in our hands late March but we had no right to compete for the title and we werent only a couple short ?

ReputationRep:
    The Bilbao midfielder in question is Ander Herrera. Love him, used to have his name on a Bilbao top haha. Was an absolute beast 2 seasons back. Not so much last season, kinda like Llorente. But again, not going to get my hopes up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)

As the poster above me says, our defeat today was not down to our transfer window or squad depth. We should have won that game no matter what. And our team on Wednesday, injuries or not, should be strong enough to beat Fenerbache. Suggesting otherwise if just looking for excuses tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabiusMaximus)
    Arsenal has the most expensive of the cheapest season tickets in Europe. Point stands. All the other categories we're either in the most expensive or close to it.
    Check again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatamIdoing)
    The Bilbao midfielder in question is Ander Herrera. Love him, used to have his name on a Bilbao top haha. Was an absolute beast 2 seasons back. Not so much last season, kinda like Llorente. But again, not going to get my hopes up.
    Thats a given being an arsenal fan isnt it or wel it should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    Do you honestly believe he will play for 20k a week?? I wouldnt want him back he completely screwed the team back when the team was really good to go to a European competitor im suprised he has been allowed near the team tbh
    He was perfectly within his rights to leave, get over it. He never said anything bad about the club (from what I recall) he just played out his contract and left.

ReputationRep:
    Check again.
    Second column across. Our cheapest season ticket is 985. The closest is like 7/800

May I suggest that you check again

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.