This discussion is closed.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
It's nothing like golf! It's actually quite a brutal game. This year there was only a jaw dislocation and not many falls, bit apparently normally there are quite a lot of fax falls and quite a few injuries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't it just whacking some balls through some hoops whilst on a horse? Or do you use the mallets on long sticks to start bashing people's heads in when you're bored of how mundane it all is?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Isn't it just whacking some balls through some hoops whilst on a horse? Or do you use the mallets on long sticks to start bashing people's heads in when you're bored of how mundane it all is?
There aren't hoopdy. Of you watched, and far more likely if you ever played it, you wouldn't be saying that.

And you claimed you weren't being classist

Posted from TSR Mobile
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There aren't hoopdy. Of you watched, and far more likely if you ever played it, you wouldn't be saying that.

And you claimed you weren't being classist

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll stick to snooker, rugby and the footy.

Well tbf when you're poor and classist the only thing you have to deal with us guys taking the piss out of you. When you're rich and classist us poor guys have to deal with systematic oppression. But it's all banter at the end of the day.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Gone are the days when the upper middle class kids were content with rugby.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Gone are the days when the upper middle class kids were content with rugby.
While I effort u watching some good rugby, I wouldn't call myself upper middle, at best middle middle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
While I effort u watching some good rugby, I wouldn't call myself upper middle, at best middle middle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"while i effort u" defo not upper class lol
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
"while i effort u" defo not upper class lol
Drunk and trying to swipe
* while I enjoy a good rugby match

Posted from TSR Mobile
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
You play polo, upper-middle m8. Middle-middle class people can just barely afford a horse.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
Going to be doing a lot with the riding club next year, really need to work on my flat work for the damn boring two handed riding ready for hunting. And the extra confidence cantering and galloping will help at nationals next year. Only stated cantering Friday, spent most of the weekend while riding cantering

First couple of chukkas were just trying not to fall of :3

Having played competitively I note get what my ex meant about how polo players are horrible for blurring riding. How do we get the horse to go faster? Smash it with our feet and smash it off the shoulder with a whip.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cantering is as far as you have got? How long have you been at it?

I don't like that, I prefer to swoosh near the horse rather than whack the horse, I find it to be abusive if you actually hit the horse.
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
You play polo, upper-middle m8. Middle-middle class people can just barely afford a horse.
Please, middle-middle can afford a horse, they're only £1-8k then £2-4k a year in costs. Not a lot compared to a car or holidays.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Please, middle-middle can afford a horse, they're only £1-8k then £2-4k a year in costs. Not a lot compared to a car or holidays.
:lolwut: how much do you spend on holidays??
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know what this information means but- http://www.equine-world.co.uk/buying...cost_horse.asp

But a car can be a necessity, so can holidays. A horse is either a pet or a "toy" (for want of a better word) so spending that amount of money on one really does rely on a middle-middle class income.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I find it to be abusive if you actually hit the horse.
Pretty rich coming from someone who hunts, is it not?
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
More than you by the sounds of it. First class for INT (Emirates/Etihad) or Business for EU (Swiss) or Economy for DOM (Flybe).
I don't know what this information means but- http://www.equine-world.co.uk/buying...cost_horse.asp

But a car can be a necessity, so can holidays. A horse is either a pet or a "toy" (for want of a better word) so spending that amount of money on one really does rely on a middle-middle class income.
Yeah so what I said.

Why are you being such a poor loser?
Pretty rich coming from someone who hunts, is it not?
No.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why are you being such a poor loser?
Well it's also what I said. You wouldn't be able to comfortably afford a horse on a middle-middle class income (imo about £60-£100k household income), because according to that guide it was about £10k a year to just own a horse, all the other stuff required for Polo probably costs even more so hence why I said it's most likely an upper-middle class sport.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cantering is as far as you have got? How long have you been at it?
I only started last October and due to various reasons have only had tweo sessions on the field, and in the arena it's trot at most for beginners.And the horses where we train, like most, are very good at being lazy.

(Original post by Aph)
A decent holiday can easily set you back more than a not at all bad horse. My ex got both her horses for a few hundred (and trained them up to being a few thousand)

You can pick up a horse for less than a hundred quid from those pesky gypsies, if you're a decent rider you can get them pretty good. Given waht I was told this weekend a half decent polo pony at the lower levels should only be a few grand at most

As an aside, so damn nice to get my polo kit off after a good 60+ hours (too cold at night to get changed) and tweo 16 hour days and a 13 hours day in new boots. Feet are nowhere near as bad as I expected.
tehFrance
Report 4 years ago
I only started last October and due to various reasons have only had tweo sessions on the field, and in the arena it's trot at most for beginners.And the horses where we train, like most, are very good at being lazy.
Training horses are always lazy!

I used to go to Ham Polo club but then I stopped, it's one of those that I prefer to watch than do but I'm open to doing when I'm smashed for the hell of it. Tennis and swimming I take seriously! Got to join a new club for tennis though as I want to play in the leagues again
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Training horses are always lazy!

I used to go to Ham Polo club but then I stopped, it's one of those that I prefer to watch than do but I'm open to doing when I'm smashed for the hell of it. Tennis and swimming I take seriously! Got to join a new club for tennis though as I want to play in the leagues again
The first few years after uni are going to suck because I have other spending priorities before getting some polo ponies, namely paying off my loan before I get the extortionate interest on it. Will probably keep playing SUPA nationals even after I can't technically play though.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can't believe I missed the drama yesterday.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Been an eventful last 18 hours!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads