The Liverpool FC Thread XIV Watch

This discussion is closed.
The.Joker
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
Can't be as an AM.. he'd maybe be our 5th best AM?

Presume as a CM as that is where he played at PSV. If we're going down our list, surely at some point it makes more sense to give Allen a new contract instead?
Klopp wants him as he's more attack minded and he's an alternative to Zielinski. I think with Allen they'll see what he wants and whether or not he's happy to remain at Liverpool and have reduced playtime.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by The.Joker)
Klopp wants him as he's more attack minded and he's an alternative to Zielinski. I think with Allen they'll see what he wants and whether or not he's happy to remain at Liverpool and have reduced playtime.
Not sure why we can't just try and throw a few more million at Udinese rather than 20mil+ for Wijnaldum.

Also I struggle with spelling his name so can be please sign someone else!
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not sure why we can't just try and throw a few more million at Udinese rather than 20mil+ for Wijnaldum.

Think the Zielinksi transfer is being hampered by the Sinclair transfer to Watford (Watford and Udinese are owned by the same people). We might have pissed the owners off with the Sinclair deal and so are relunctant to sell us Zielinksi.

Wijnaldum does have goals in him so in an attacking sense he is an upgrade on Allen. Can't compare to Zielinksi as we know nothing about him.
The.Joker
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I guess they don't rate Zielinski that highly/don't want to pay over the odds for him.

I'm really excited for the season to start, I know a lot of fans are disgruntled at the lack of a big name signing but I can't wait to see how Klopp develops the team and the players.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
(Original post by samir12)
Think the Zielinksi transfer is being hampered by the Sinclair transfer to Watford (Watford and Udinese are owned by the same people). We might have pissed the owners off with the Sinclair deal and so are relunctant to sell us Zielinksi.

Wijnaldum does have goals in him so in an attacking sense he is an upgrade on Allen. Can't compare to Zielinksi as we know nothing about him.
Can't see why the owners would be so petty over a few million. I think Watford offered 1.5mil in Jan but in the end it was settled for £4mil.

(Original post by The.Joker)
I guess they don't rate Zielinski that highly/don't want to pay over the odds for him.

I'm really excited for the season to start, I know a lot of fans are disgruntled at the lack of a big name signing but I can't wait to see how Klopp develops the team and the players.
If they don't rate Zielinski highly, why would he have been pursued before Wijnaldum? We're not struggling for cash and look to be moving a lot of players on and off the wage bill too.
samir12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can't see why the owners would be so petty over a few million. I think Watford offered 1.5mil in Jan but in the end it was settled for £4mil.
It was the way the deal happened which ticked them off, I think we wanted to take it to tribunal to get a higher fee, we offered Bournmouth a deal in the meantime but Sinclair rejected. The premature flirting with Zielinksi may have also annoyed them, whatever the reason they are not happy with us and it has impacted the Zielinksi deal. A few million may not be a lot considering the amount of money thrown about but for business owners they will want to squeeze as much profit out of thier business as possible.
samir12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If they don't rate Zielinski highly, why would he have been pursued before Wijnaldum? We're not struggling for cash and look to be moving a lot of players on and off the wage bill too.
My theory is that Zielinksi was probably seen as better value than Wijnaldum which is why they went for him first. But because are we are being forced to go over our valuation, we thought we may as well just go for Wijnaldum if we are going to go over budget and we get a player who is more experienced. The last part doesn't sound that logical but I don't have any other explanation.
Samiz
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If signing Wijnaldum means seeing less of Lallana in a Liverpool shirt, I'm all for it. Well, it's either less Lallana or less Henderson, so I'm all for it either way.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
(Original post by samir12)
My theory is that Zielinksi was probably seen as better value than Wijnaldum which is why they went for him first. But because are we are being forced to go over our valuation, we thought we may as well just go for Wijnaldum if we are going to go over budget and we get a player who is more experienced. The last part doesn't sound that logical but I don't have any other explanation.
Might be true. He'll also have played in the PL so less adjusting time. Just surprised we seem to be in for an attacking player rather than a proper midfield player. Would he replace say Henderson in the current side? I'm not convinced..
mr tim
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Matip with a bruise, doubtful for Weds but will fly to the USA on Thurs
mr tim
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bodgan heading to Wigan for a season-long loan. Medical today.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
(Original post by mr tim)
Bodgan heading to Wigan for a season-long loan. Medical today.
He must be on at least a 3 year deal. Obviously we can't shift him out so I imagine we're still paying a portion of his wages while on loan.
mr tim
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
FPL for new season is live. TSR LFC leagues:

Classic: 6056-2605 [this has been renewed from last season]
H2H: 6056-26699
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

IN

I'm gonna bottle it Liverpool-style and finish 2nd AGAIN this season aren't I?
mr tim
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Newcastle want Lucas as part of Wijnaldum swap deal. Rafa could make him captain. Think Lucas is the final senior Rafa signing remaining at LFC. Could be completed this week.
Gob Bluth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Newcastle want Lucas as part of Wijnaldum swap deal. Rafa could make him captain. Think Lucas is the final senior Rafa signing remaining at LFC. Could be completed this week.
Wow Newcastle have a crazy looking team next season if they pull of Lucas too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Got a ticket for the United game
Zerforax
Rep:
?

I'm in both. Hopefully I won't suck so bad this season..

Doesn't leave us with many CMs if we let Allen go to Swansea, Lucas to Newcastle and then fail to sign Dahoud or Zeilinksi..
mr tim
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Klavan confirmed. Takes Sakho's old number, 17, which he gave up couple of days ago.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Klavan confirmed. Takes Sakho's old number, 17, which he gave up couple of days ago.
There was always going to be a question as to who was to be our 4th choice CB (Gomez/Ilori as young cover or not) but Klopp has obviously decided experienced cover is the way to go.

For me that only leaves deciding what we're doing as LB cover, RB cover and midfield.. I'm happy with Clyne and Moreno as first choice options. Not convinced by our cover options though.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (181)
18.8%
No (581)
60.33%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.87%

Watched Threads