Oxford Applicants for 2012 Entry Watch

This discussion is closed.
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by candide)
I waste so much time "researching" oxford. Everyone time I go online to check emails, I have to resist the temptation to browse a college website or post on this thread!

(like now!)
i did looooooads of researching in year 9/10 but then i kind've realised that i shouldn't end up getting my hopes up too high
SilverDoe21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Niki_girl)
Same I always laugh slightly at myself for even looking on here/ at the prospectus and/or website
I don't think I'm even going to apply, it's just a nice thought I think I'd prefer St. Andrews anyway tbh..
SilverDoe21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by manic_fuzz)
^ exaaactly this :getmecoat: we can always dream though
Indeed :yep: can't do any harm.
Bright Lights
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dragonmeister)
LSE's likely to be Government and Economics, International Relations or Politics and Philosophy (haven't quite decided yet, am going to look around and find out more about those courses), for UCL I'm going to try for European Social and Political Studies (which sells itself as PPE but with a language element and a year abroad), and Durham and Oxford are both for PPE.

At some point I need to come up with a more insurancy university, as I've realised that my current 5 favourites are all (according to the Guardian) in the top 10 in the country (which isn't allowing that much slack for applications failure) - any suggestions?
I'm applying for straight Econ everywhere but Oxford, and I really have this issue as well

But to be honest, I talked to a teacher about it, and he said I didn't need to worry because my fifth is Nottingham and even though it's a very good course, they do tend to be easy to receive a (high) offer from.

So I would suggest you talk to a teacher - I was planning to drop either Durham/Warwick and opt for Exeter as my fifth, but he convinced me not to. Our teachers should know us best academically, so he/she will be able to make an informed judgement

But my honest advice? Don't change your options unless you fnd a uni lower down which you really feel a connection to. You could easily get an offer from Lincoln or Sheffield, but if all the others don't work out, would you really want to go there?

Worst comes to worst, if I hold no offers, I'm going to take the year off and do a lot of extra Economics related work instead of going to a third rate university where I don't want to be. Then when the year after rolls round, I'll have an edge over the other applicants.

Best of luck though, for all your courses
Bright Lights
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by loz876)
How do you guys get over the whole omg-Oxford-am-I-kidding-myself phase? Like, realising it's a huge thing applying there, whethering whether you're really good enough? I'm going through that right now haha!! How did you convince yourself it was the right thing to apply, and not just a "dream"?
I don't think anyone completely gets over that phase (and if they do, I'm jealous).

With a lot of applicants though, their grades speak for themselves.

Personally, I've wanted to go to Oxford since I decided to do Economics (I'm not going to sit here and say the typical "all my life" crap but thats what some people claim). Firstly it was the course that kept drawing me in, so I consulted my Economics teacher and with a bit of encouragement, I've just accepted the fact that I will now definitely apply.
Plus, I visited with parents last summer, then again in February and the second time round I stayed with one of my friends in Trinity, and her life just seemed so amazing, and the nightlife was not as bad as it's rumoured to be :P (There was a more-than-decent club that they call Park End even though its called something else in reality)...but the city just speaks to you in a way thats not quite describable - if you're going to the open day you'll know exactly what I mean, you just fall in love.

So now, even with the occasional doubt and the "dream" quality of it, what convinced me was how much I would regret not going for it.
rkascyi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bright Lights)
Personally, I've wanted to go to Oxford since I decided to do Economics
You mean since you decided to do Economics and Management?
Bright Lights
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rkascyi)
You mean since you decided to do Economics and Management?
Nope since I decided to do Economics. I chose my subject before I chose my course. Of course, once I saw the course was E & M, I realised that I preferred the look of it, but initially I was just looking at straight Econ.
rkascyi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bright Lights)
Nope since I decided to do Economics.
...and also Management. It's not really proper economics; not quantitative compared to other top economics courses and puts you at a disadvantage if you were ever going to consider postgraduate economics, or quant-based roles in the city.

So whether you have decided to economics or whether you have decided to do economics and management makes a sizeable difference. There's no small difference between the two.
Bright Lights
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
...and also Management. It's not really proper economics; not quantitative compared to other top economics courses and puts you at a disadvantage if you were ever going to consider postgraduate economics, or quant-based roles in the city.
But I'm not talking about the difference between the two, and I'm not trying to debate how good the course is, I'll leave that to people's opinions. Though if it was really that bad a course, why was it named the most employable by the Times a few years ago? It can't have taken such a drastic turn since then.

Anyway, when I wrote that, I was't comparing it to Economics, I was simply saying that I only decided I wanted to apply to Oxford after I decided I wanted to do Economics at university, which then changed once I saw what the course on offer at Oxford was.

I wasn't too sure about the management part either believe me, but I have done my research, I've seen all the options within the course and I honestly think this is the exact course I want to do. As much as I love maths, I can't see myself loving a completely maths based course as much as one with the essay element as well. Plus I've noticed managerial skills are unfairly undervalued by some people, when in fact a person who is a good manager can really tip the scales in their favour. I digress...

So whether you have decided to economics or whether you have decided to do economics and management makes a sizeable difference. There's no small difference between the two.
:confused: But, I've decided on either. As far as I know, Oxford is the only place which offers "E & M" as such, and everywhere else I am applying for straight econ.

So... we good?
flywithemma
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KatherineGiddins)
No I haven't been but will definitely go to an open day in September- It's a bit awkward for me to go over to Oxford beacase I'm from Northern Ireland, but I have seen New college on tv many times and reading it's website it seems like the right one for me. The Bridge of sighs looks so beautiful and I love the old architecture. I don't want to get my hopes up though about applying.
Just making sure you know...the Bridge of Sighs isn't in New, it's in Hertford.

EDIT: ok, why the neg? I'm sorry, I was just making you aware in case you were basing your decision on that or something :getmecoat:
wasting-time
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=Niki_girl;31955436]
(Original post by tgarrud)

Not to seem stalker-ish but I know for a fact that the TSR member Bekaboo studied Biological Sciences, at Jesus College Oxford a few years ago and is now doing a PHD in Bristol she's friendly, look her up!
haha i actually sent her a message a while ago and she never replied :'( must have thought i was a mental stalker lol
Albertine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by S119234)
Nah, going into 5th. But because the deadline is 15th of October I was saying that it wasn't worth going in without Advanced Highers

I was considering actually applying and seeing what would happen. But I highly doubt my school would ever let me submit the application until the start of 6th year
The requirements are there for a reason - and thats at least 2 AHs, you'll get a rejection straight off the makr if you don't meet (or are predicted to meet) the requirements. Good luck for sixth tho

but just get through fifth first - it's NASTY. I feel sorry for the poor souls who've started 5th today
Albertine
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by candide)
Hey

I'm starting sixth year tomorrow too. And I'm doing 3AHs and a Higher!

What AHs you doing?

I'm doing AH Maths, Physics and History. Plus Higher Chem.

prospective PPE applicant btw.
Awesome!

I'm doing AH art, music and english with higher history. But the work load is looking INSANE. So I think I might drop music, but I don't know. Sixth year syndrome is kicking in big style though :cool:
Niki_girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tgarrud)
haha i actually sent her a message a while ago and she never replied :'( must have thought i was a mental stalker lol
Ah! That's a shame...I don't think I know of any others...have you tried searching on "current students" lists and stuff :confused: I don't think I can help much...:dontknow: sorry!
chloe45
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by timkench)
anyone looking at materials science?
I am, think it looks really interesting?... how about you?
such_a_lady
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by manic_fuzz)
i did looooooads of researching in year 9/10 but then i kind've realised that i shouldn't end up getting my hopes up too high
Ohh gosh not just me then!

All exams over! If you guys don't get the AS grades, would you just not go for Oxford and co., or would you redo Y12?

Stuff's kind of falling apart for me at the moment so I keep pretending I'm Elphaba in Wicked, and that the Emerald City is Oxford. It's the first place in Britain that I've felt at home in. It just has this lovely booksy air to it, like "oh yeah we're still old-fashioned with ancient buildings...you love it". Where I live is the most boring place on Earth, and London feels a bit aloof and unwelcoming. :cry: I just want to go back to Oxford again...and again...and again...
candide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Albertine)
Awesome!

I'm doing AH art, music and english with higher history. But the work load is looking INSANE. So I think I might drop music, but I don't know. Sixth year syndrome is kicking in big style though :cool:
Workload my ass!

I only had one class today. Spent all afternoon cutting headlines out of trashy magazines to make "amusing" slogans for the wall of our common room!

My teacher is trying to persuade me to do AH English as that way I'd get 5 periods classtime, whereas for history I've only managed two!!
dnumberwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by such_a_lady)
All exams over! If you guys don't get the AS grades, would you just not go for Oxford and co., or would you redo Y12?
I will get the AS grades
Brand New Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by such_a_lady)
Ohh gosh not just me then!

Redo? What a waste! there are things called january re-takes (although for some subjects like languages you cant)

one more exam to go!
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Brand New Eyes)
Redo? What a waste! there are things called january re-takes (although for some subjects like languages you cant)

one more exam to go!
Yeah except Oxford would (assuming your school cashes them in) see your lower grades, and might not give you an offer.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (98)
25.45%
No (287)
74.55%

Watched Threads