Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: Which topic(s) are you finding most difficult?
    Shapes of molecules and ions
    11.66%
    Intermediate bonding and bond polarity
    15.95%
    Intermolecular forces
    9.82%
    Redox
    17.79%
    Group 2 & 7
    40.49%
    Kinetics & Equilibria
    14.11%
    Organic Chemistry - Alcohols and Halogenoalkanes
    39.26%
    Mechanisms
    26.38%
    Green Chemistry
    28.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurraiyo)
    What's this type of reaction called?
    C2H6 ---> C2H4 + H2.

It's not an elimination reaction is it?
    You make it into a halogenoalkane using free radical substation and then use NaOH in ethanol to make the alkene.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniya12)
    I'll try and help! Send me the questions- will be good practice for me too hah!
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20100121.pdf q19 b ii thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    H20 can form four hydrogen bonds per molecule, whereas HF can only form two hydrogen bonds per atom. Hence more energy required to separate the water molecules.
    ok, water forms four hydrogen bonds: two of its hydrogen atoms bond to other water molecules, and two other hydrogen atoms bond to this water molecule. right?

if that's the case, then HF should also form four bonds considering it has one bond pair and three lone pairs?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean how come?
    I dont' understand your question? Could you rephrase it or be a bit more specific- which part don't you understand?
    OH and H2O can both be used because they both provide a nucleophile, although the OH nucleophile is much stronger.
    Does this help? Post which part you don't understand- will try to help!
    Well, I don't understand how a halogenoalkane can be made from an alcohol in a somewhat opposite reaction of how an alcohol is made from a halogenoalkane.

Eg. Butan-1-ol and 1-bromobutane

C4H9Br + H2O/OH- --> C4H9OH + HBr/Br-

C4H9OH + HBr --> C4H9Br + H2O

I just really don't understand how both these reactions are possible since they seem to be opposite in nature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ok, water forms four hydrogen bonds: two of its hydrogen atoms bond to other water molecules, and two other hydrogen atoms bond to this water molecule. right?

if that's the case, then HF should also form four bonds considering it has one bond pair and three lone pairs?
    I think water has 3 hydrogen bonds. The oxygen with some hydrogen and the 2 hydrogens with two other oxygens. Whereas HF only has 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know the reaction between halogenoalknae and water? like the drawing?

ReputationRep:

Have to consider that the HF is only forming bonds with other HF molecules so that each one can only form 2 hydrogen bonds as otherwise there wouldn't be enough hydrogens to go round.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...2045307AAgsFvH

Read the second answer down by greendawn.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so given the information on the question, we can work out the number of moles of sodium thiosulphate using (moles = conc x volume) = 0.1 x 12.6/1000 = 0.00126

Now look at the equation given right at the top, and look at the stochiometery (mole ratio) of iodine: sodium thiosulphate , you'll see its 1:2 (it almost always is 1:2 for this reaction)
    and then you divide/multiply accordingly, so in this case we would divide by two, so moles = 0.00063

Does this help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leafy9)
    I think water has 3 hydrogen bonds. The oxygen with some hydrogen and the 2 hydrogens with two other oxygens. Whereas HF only has 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    water can form 4 as it has 2 lone pairs

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so given the information on the question, we can work out the number of moles of sodium thiosulphate using (moles = conc x volume) = 0.1 x 12.6/1000 = 0.00126

Now look at the equation given right at the top, and look at the stochiometery (mole ratio) of iodine: sodium thiosulphate , you'll see its 1:2 (it almost always is 1:2 for this reaction)
    and then you divide/multiply accordingly, so in this case we would divide by two, so moles = 0.00063

Does this help?
    yes thanks, how do you do the next bit please?

ReputationRep:

I get it now! Thank you very much !

ReputationRep:

I've read in mark schemes however that Hydrogen can form 2 hydrogen bonds per molecule :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Who told you that sulfur is +1 then?

It depends what the question tells you tbh.
    In a multiple choice, it asked exactly that, but gave no additional info. I assumed Na would be +1

Posted from the TSR iPad app
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Tuya)
    In a multiple choice, it asked exactly that, but gave no additional info. I assumed Na would be +1

In that case of course, then sodium would have to be +1.

But if they don't tell you info like that, then you would assume sodium is +1!

ReputationRep:

I got it wrong though... The answer was -2 for some reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuya)
    I got it wrong though... The answer was -2 for some reason

Sorry my bad... -2 is for sulphur which is what they asked for, I didn't read it right... Lol sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adi19956)
    Mostly, but not always. Eg in NaHS the oxidation number of sodium is -2. I have no idea why though.
    What nonsense. Na has oxidation state +1, H has oxidation state +1, S has oxidation state -2. HS- is a well-known anion; imagine having H2S in solution, it dissociates once and what do you get? HS-. This isn't some mystical compound we're dealing with. It's very standard.

Group 1 and (I think) Group 2 will always have oxidation state +1 and +2 respectively. That's the first rule of deciding oxidation states, and the whole system of working them out is a theoretical game rather than based on reality so there's no point debating it. So let me say it again: Group 1 and (I think) Group 2 will always have oxidation state +1 and +2 respectively.

ReputationRep:

Do you know which experimental set-ups we need to know? We need heat under reflux, distil in situ and alcohol dehydration, anything else?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please tell what do we have to know about carbon nanotubes ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.