Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan_ni)
    Where did you hear this from?
    Today, I sent a message to Fast Stream Team. What I posted, it is the exact answer I received.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad)
    Today, I sent a message to Fast Stream Team. What I posted, it is the exact answer I received.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at the stage of my Generalist application where I'm having to select the first and second choice sub-streams. I have ruled out Houses of Parliament and Science/Engineering and am tempted to put down Diplomatic Service first and Central Departments second but am a little concerned about the lower success rate for Diplomatic re: Central Departments and my lack of advanced language skills (I have basic French, German and Spanish so would be at a disadvantage in relation to someone fluent in, say, Arabic or Russian).

I'm also curious to know how many people are given offers for their second choice. Does this occur frequently? What are the relative cultures of the FCO and Central Departments like? Any advice/comment from those who have Fast Stream experience would be welcomed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mortal Wombat)
    I'm currently at the stage of my Generalist application where I'm having to select the first and second choice sub-streams. I have ruled out Houses of Parliament and Science/Engineering and am tempted to put down Diplomatic Service first and Central Departments second but am a little concerned about the lower success rate for Diplomatic re: Central Departments and my lack of advanced language skills (I have basic French, German and Spanish so would be at a disadvantage in relation to someone fluent in, say, Arabic or Russian).

I'm also curious to know how many people are given offers for their second choice. Does this occur frequently? What are the relative cultures of the FCO and Central Departments like? Any advice/comment from those who have Fast Stream experience would be welcomed!
    There is nothing to lose by putting DS as a first choice and CD in second. If you don't receive a high enough score for DS, you will default anyway to CD, so it's definitely worth a shot!

Also, they make a big show of not requiring language skills. They will test you on your ability to learn, not on those you already know. Although of course, learning another language from scratch would help you later down the process and give you more flexibility with placements, but it wouldn't help you to get the job in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for your reply, Kat, I appreciate it!

When you mention the "score" is that compiled from the e-tray and the FSAC or just from the FSAC itself? I assume results from the online selection tests are ignored as they are relatively basic and presumably just a filter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mortal Wombat)
    Thanks very much for your reply, Kat, I appreciate it!

When you mention the "score" is that compiled from the e-tray and the FSAC or just from the FSAC itself? I assume results from the online selection tests are ignored as they are relatively basic and presumably just a filter?
    Yep, the score is from the assessments at FSAC and the second (written) part of the e-tray. Come together to make the total score And that score will decide if we get the job or not (provided we get that far....!)

ReputationRep:
    Just found out that I passed the SRAC last week
    So, onto the e-Tray for me now..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankers1088)
    Just found out that I passed the SRAC last week
    So, onto the e-Tray for me now..
    :woo: Well done

ReputationRep:
    Successful at e-tray for Economist scheme!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyJane)
    Successful at e-tray for Economist scheme!
    Congrats! Does this mean you're on the final round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    Congrats! Does this mean you're on the final round?
    Thanks! It does, hopefully I'll get through the FSAC this year (failed it last year sadly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyJane)
    Thanks! It does, hopefully I'll get through the FSAC this year (failed it last year sadly)
    I am applying for the analytical stream also and have also passed my etray
    I wonder if all of us that pass out first assessment centres for the analytical streams will automatically pass etrays?
    Good luck for this year!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savdahn)
    I am applying for the analytical stream also and have also passed my etray
    I wonder if all of us that pass out first assessment centres for the analytical streams will automatically pass etrays?
    Good luck for this year!
    From what I know, this is the first year that they had the e-tray in the process so hopefully that's true!

ReputationRep:
    Successful for the Generalist & Digital Technology e-tray! Very pleased. Hope everyone here has/will do well.

I didn't receive an e-mail or any other kind of notification - just randomly checked the candidate web site - so be aware of that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatristicFields)
    Successful for the Generalist & Digital Technology e-tray! Very pleased. Hope everyone here has/will do well.

I didn't receive an e-mail or any other kind of notification - just randomly checked the candidate web site - so be aware of that!

Thanks for the tip! Just checked and I passed for both the same as you! Congrats! Hope everyone else passes )

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have just received an electronic message from PARITY that I have been unsuccessful on e-tray assessment stage.

Anyone viewing this thread, I believe they must have visited their email inboxes and Fast Stream Applications Home Page and they know their outcomes. Congratulations to all those who’re successful and best of luck for the candidates still waiting for their results.

It’s time to prepare for the next stage, the one day assessment that should be in early January.

Best of luck to all the contenders.

Sincerely,
    Shahbaz Ahmad!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just been told I've passed the online tests for financial and commercial stream!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    From what I know, this is the first year that they had the e-tray in the process so hopefully that's true!
    Are you applying for the analytical stream? If so have you completed your etray yet?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savdahn)
    Are you applying for the analytical stream? If so have you completed your etray yet?
    Operational Research :yep:

Not yet, waiting to hear if I have passed or not. Will hear either this week or next week. Trying to keep my mind busy atm :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad)
    Hi all,

I have just received an electronic message from PARITY that I have been unsuccessful on e-tray assessment stage.

Anyone viewing this thread, I believe they must have visited their email inboxes and Fast Stream Applications Home Page and they know their outcomes. Congratulations to all those who’re successful and best of luck for the candidates still waiting for their results.

It’s time to prepare for the next stage, the one day assessment that should be in early January.

Best of luck to all the contenders.

Sincerely,
    Shahbaz Ahmad!
    I'm sorry to hear that.. was it for both of your schemes?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.