Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the1akshay)
    So, has everybody firmed and insured? I'm still waiting on LSE before I can, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma since Oxford's got the lowest entry requirements out of any of my choices at AAA instead of A*AA like the others. I'm not sure whom I'm going to set as my insurance, but I was thinking it might be wise to pick the most flexible university. Between York, UCL and Durham, though, I have no idea who might be flexible...
    Yeah firmed it when it came through track.

If Oxford is your lowest offer out of all 5 you won't have an insurance then, because it's impossible to get into your insurance anyway.

ReputationRep:
    So, has everybody firmed and insured? I'm still waiting on LSE before I can, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma since Oxford's got the lowest entry requirements out of any of my choices at AAA instead of A*AA like the others. I'm not sure whom I'm going to set as my insurance, but I was thinking it might be wise to pick the most flexible university. Between York, UCL and Durham, though, I have no idea who might be flexible...
    Thank gosh I'm not the only one still waiting on LSE...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanyyt)

If Oxford is your lowest offer out of all 5 you won't have an insurance then, because it's impossible to get into your insurance anyway.
    It's not impossible - if you had AAA as Firm and A*AA as insurance. But got say A*AB then your firm may decline you but your insurance could except. Suffice to say its not really the norm - but it definitely can happen. Especially as other unis are more flexible with grades (particularly if above AAB).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanyyt)

Not true, some universities consider A*A*B to be equivalent to A*AA and will let you in, whereas Oxford most likely will not accept A*A*B.

Furthermore, it is not uncommon for universities to let people in with grades below their requirement. I have firmed Oxford (AAA) and insured Nottingham (A*AA) on the basis that Nottingham will let me in (hopefully) with grades lower than A*AA, e.g. A*AB. Maybe even AAB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    It's not impossible - if you had AAA as Firm and A*AA as insurance. But got say A*AB then your firm may decline you but your insurance could except. Suffice to say its not really the norm - but it definitely can happen. Especially as other unis are more flexible with grades (particularly if above AAB).
    Ah I see, never actually thought of that happening. I agree it's rare though.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, my problem is deciding who's more likely to be flexible amongst York, Durham and UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, my problem is deciding who's more likely to be flexible amongst York, Durham and UCL.
    What course is it? That might affect it a little

ReputationRep:
    PPE at all of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oskarwithak)
    Thank gosh I'm not the only one still waiting on LSE...
    I'm a little bit tempted to withdraw my LSE application just so I can firm Oxford, but I'm equally aware how pointless that would be haha.

ReputationRep:
    PPE at all of them.
    My gut instinct would be York - but thats purely based on various bits and bobs I know about each and no actual statistical facts.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little bit tempted to withdraw my LSE application just so I can firm Oxford, but I'm equally aware how pointless that would be haha.
    If you have absolutely zero intention of insuring it then it's not pointless to withdraw. I withdrew from St. Andrews after I received my Oxford offer

ReputationRep:
    PPE at all of them.
    After a quick search, do you do Maths at A-Level?

It seems UCL give offers of A*AA-AAA. And York give offers of AAA if you do Maths. Might suggest that either of these are more likely to accept you with a missed offer

ReputationRep:
    After a quick search, do you do Maths at A-Level?

It seems UCL give offers of A*AA-AAA. And York give offers of AAA if you do Maths. Might suggest that either of these are more likely to accept you with a missed offer
    Yeah, I do. Since I do 4 A levels, my York offer is A*AA or AAA (inc Maths). Regarding UCL, their offers actually depend on whether you choose Politics and Economics (A* in Maths requirement) or Politics and Philosophy, so I suppose UCL might be a good choice. To be honest though, my AS results were good enough that I'm not too worried about missing AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I do. Since I do 4 A levels, my York offer is A*AA or AAA (inc Maths). Regarding UCL, their offers actually depend on whether you choose Politics and Economics (A* in Maths requirement) or Politics and Philosophy, so I suppose UCL might be a good choice. To be honest though, my AS results were good enough that I'm not too worried about missing AAA.

There has been some discussion on TSR about negotiating with Universities over insurance offer tariffs - easier to do with centralised admissions offices but I don't know how successful
    people have been. I think York may find it harder to make the offer stick since the catchment area is less favourable in the sense that the regional Universities have to compete hard for the
    AAA students. So A*AA could be a bit of a bluff. That said, my guess is at this stage Universities will stick to their guns since lowering tariffs will spread like wildfire on forums like this and everyone will try to get a better deal. My advice would be to put as insurance the University/course you like the most. What will happen at confirmation (should you need an insurance place) is anyone's guess so choosing on this basis looks the dominant strategy.

ReputationRep:
    What would you say for law (UCL/Durham)? I prefer UCL out of my remaining choices; at the same time, I think they have the option of being strict on their grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PardonMyFrench96)
    What would you say for law (UCL/Durham)? I prefer UCL out of my remaining choices; at the same time, I think they have the option of being strict on their grades.
    Again just going on gut I would say Durham is likely to be more flexible. But if you prefer UCL then I would be inclined to insure them - as no one can really predict what will happen either way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admissionshost)
    Reallocation before interview balances the interview pools in each college.
    It also reflects the fact that interviews for most subjects involve an overnight stay and there are also only so many hours in the day and a fixed number of interviewers. So operationally, reallocation maximises the number of candidates who can be interviewed because it makes full use of capacity across the University.
    Thanks for that! So the fact that i was reallocated before interview doesn't mean i didnt cut the mustard at the first college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personage)
    Thanks for that! So the fact that i was reallocated before interview doesn't mean i didnt cut the mustard at the first college?
    I would think so, unless the reallocation of excess candidates is random. It really depends on the precise mechanisms, which vary depending on subject.

Anyway, I really wouldn't worry too much about reallocation. A fair few people get offers from colleges that are not their first choice every year, and most people end up loving their college regardless. I'm one of those who got reallocated pre-interview and I actually think I lucked out with my current college.

ReputationRep:
    Great! So where did you apply to initially and where did you land?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by personage)
    Great! So where did you apply to initially and where did you land?
    Applied to Jesus, ended up in Brasenose. I'm not complaining though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.