Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hereticalpilgrim)
    Can someone pls help me with this question? I'm confused as to how to link to the stem with the memory improvement strategies??

A student was revising Bowlby’s theory of attachment. He was trying to remember thenames of some features of Bowlby’s theory, including: EvolutionCritical periodSocial releasing mechanismsMonotropyContinuity hypothesis Using your knowledge of strategies for memory improvement, explain how the studentcould memorise some of these features. Use examples from the list above.

I reckon the easiest method to describe with these words would be elaborative rehearsal - so using Acronyms. Elaborative rehearsal is any memory method which makes the student think of the information in a new way. The student could use the first letter of each feature to create a new word, for example E from Evolution could become Elephants, C from Critical Period could become Can. The student would then arrange these words into a phrase which could be learnt and act as a cue for retrieving the original set of words. The phrase could be "Elephants can sometimes meet camels"

ReputationRep:
    So what are peoples predictions for the 12 Marker?

ReputationRep:
    12 marker on Working memory model hasn't come up for ages.

AO1- Baddeley & Hitch
    3 parts: central executive, phonological loop & visuo spatial sketchpad

AO2-
    -research lab studies -> lack ecological validity
    -Lierberman- blind have good spatial awareness -> argues VSS should be 2 stores
    -only looks at STM not much info in LTM
    -not much known about central executive as it cant be directly measured
    -evidence supporting -> word length effect Baddely (short words easier to recall)

Anyone know any more ao2 points? Are those good enough? Obv in the exam they will be expanded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleanor303)
    Hopefully Multi Store Model, Working Memory, Disruption or Privation/Institutionalisation.

ReputationRep:
    Theres 5 main essay questions I would personally focus and keep an eye out for with some more likely than others based on my predictions.
    • The multi-store memory model is long over-due according to this table last turning up in January 2012. One to watch and the front-runner in my eyes.
    • The working memory model hasn’t come up as a proper 12 marker in a while although has made an appearance every year as a 4 marker, 6 marker and even an 8 marker for 5 consecutive papers. Its possible too but less likely than the Multi-store memory model in my opinion.
    • How research into attachment has influenced childcare practices – Its only ever come up as a 4 marker and although I’m not entirely convinced it can be a 12 marker (due to lack of material) I would keep an eye out for this.
    • The impact of daycare (on either aggression or peer relations)
    Outside chance:
    • Disruption of attachment (I would bet institutional is more likely than privation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MW-19--)
    12 Marker
    Cultural variations of attachment (research)

-Van Ijzendoorn and squad, yeah, got that!

I cant AO2 any other research very well

I've got Fox who studied child rearing practices in Israel, so i'll analyse the Observational method etc...

but that's 2 studies

I have Grossman and Grossman (who said that different attachement types are viewed differently in different cultures) that's it though, how do i AO2 that??

Same with Takawashi - He said parenting skills are different in different cultures...

Could a valid AO2 point for either of these be that they dont consider Subcultures etc???
    Because it doesnt give a hint to any research method....
    Strengths:
    1) All studies apart from Grossman + Grossman found that secure attachmenr was the main attachment type giving consistancy throughout the studies and to the ideology that secure attachment is the best type of attachment for good social and emotional development.
    2) The strange situation has reliability due to blah blah
    3) Van Ijzendoorn + Kroonenberg meta-analysis is rich is data due to using 32 studies with over 2000 ss uses giving validity to the findings allowing for it to be generalised etc

weaknesses:
    1) Believed mass media influences one type of attachment type that promotes the "best" parenting styles through tv, radios and parenting books, therefore it may not be that attachment is innate bur rather due to mass promotion

2) Has ethnocentrism as SS is american based therefore using it as the standard to rate other cultures may be inaccurate

3) Psychologists were not from the cultures therefore identifiying behaviours may not be classified in the same way to the culture as to how they are identifying it (similar to second point)

these are brief btw

ReputationRep:
    Can someone link me to the mark scheme please? They're no longer on the AQA website apparently..

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give a quick overview on how HM and KF support the Multi-Store Model?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterious M)
    Can someone link me to the mark scheme please? They're no longer on the AQA website apparently..

Which mark scheme are you after?

ReputationRep:
    Which mark scheme are you after?
    I have yet to do a past paper so all of them if possible ? if not then 2011 and 2012 please, do you also have links for any past papers?

Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    I have yet to do a past paper so all of them if possible ? if not then 2011 and 2012 please, do you also have links for any past papers?

Thankyou!
    They are on the aqa site here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psych...d-mark-schemes

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give a quick overview on how HM and KF support the Multi-Store Model?
    I'd say that there is evidence for distinction between STM and LTM from people with amnesia. Shallice + Warrington studied KF; he could recall no more than 2 items in test, but had no problems with LTM.

ReputationRep:
    If you click them they don't open up to an actual PDF file :/

Still, thank you

ReputationRep:
    How would you go about answering a 12 marker on MSM model? Like what are some good A01 points? Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    If you click them they don't open up to an actual PDF file :/

Still, thank you
    Hmm, they seem to be working for me. Try this and if it works i'll link the rest?
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JAN12.PDF

ReputationRep:
    The only thing im feelings iffy about is Cultural Variations. I could answer a 4 marker but do u guys think it could come up as a 12 or 8? surely not? it was up on June 2013.

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    For all of us doing this PSYA1 Exam! :P Be positive!

ReputationRep:
    hmm might try and get a decent nights sleep and call it a night here

ReputationRep:
    Can Rutter et al be used to support privation?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.