The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hey . Can u pleas tell me if taking any courses like kaplan are worth ? Should i do one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maddie001
Hi, I'm a bit clueless to whether mine is a good score?
I got VR: 590
QR: 750
AR: 770
STJ: Band 1
Average: 703
I'm happy with everything except VR and I wondered if it is better to get medium-high scores on all, or to have higher scores on two sections and a quite a low score on one as I have done?

Well done on your score, it's really good!

The 590 in VR is still most likely above average, since that is the section most print find to be the most difficult :h:

With your school you may be able to supply to UKCAT heavy schools such as KCL and Newcastle, depending of course on the averages which will be released in early October, i think :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
Well don't on your score, it's really good!

The 590 in VR is still most likely above average, since that is the section most print find to be the most difficult :h:

With your school you may be able to supply to UKCAT heavy schools such as KCL and Newcastle, depending of course on the averages which will be released in early October, i think :h:

National average for VR was 577 last year.
I have a few questions. Is medify harder than the real test because I find the QR quite time consuming. Also, to anyone who has done the Kaplan course, do you think the short test at the beginning of the online resources is representative of the real test because I didn't do too well on that, but I did well on the Kaplan book (with the diagnostic test and mock).
I would really appreciate any replies because I'm really stressed as I thought the ukcat was initially alright but now I find it really hard.
Original post by mliela
No point starting prep or buying it now. Just wait and buy it on amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would agree.
But make sure you don't delay your prep by too much!

D.I.P
How are DENTAL STUDENTS finding the UCAT, have you guys also started your Personal Statements?

My recommendation, to all applying is to try an get a draft competed by the end of the summer.
This will make your beginning of the academic year so much less hectic!

I remember being up throughout the night on some days trying to complete my personal statement!

Another recommendation, make sure you try your hardest to get as much WORK EXPERIENCE as possible this summer! Particularly after your UKCAT.

HOW TO APPLY FOR WORK EXP HACK!
(Not really a hack, but seriously does work on occasions)
Find dental practices in your area on google maps.
Now search these practices on twitter.
A lot (not all) will be on twitter and many will have their privacy settings off so that people can direct message the practice.
The admin of the account is often the practice owner or lead dentist!
If you write a nice message- NOT TOO LONG, but basically showing your keenness (give examples) they might just fast track you to a bit of work exp! Lovely!

This works well with other companies, and well if you want a quick response from uni admissions/dental schools/medical schools etc.

Hope it works.
I told a couple of other students this, it does work!

BUT Be patent regardless!

D.I.P.
Reply 846
Just sat for it. Was hoping for better but this isn't the worst.

VR - 600
QR - 830
AR - 720
SJ - Band 1 (lol? I wish this mattered)

Avg 717.

Am an international, non-EU, non-science graduate.

Where should I apply?
Hey how did you practice QR?
Was it easy.?
Are you applying for Graduate entry med?
Reply 848
I actually hardly practiced QR. did the most for AR and VR.

Applying for 5 year programs. Internationals can't apply for the 4 year ones unfortunately.
So while marking the AR section of the 1000Q mock, I saw that the type 2,3,4 questions were worth 20 marks rather than 10 on the type one questions, is it the same in the exam, because if they are worth more marks, I'd like to get them done and because they are the last questions, in that mock anyway, I never got any of them done.
I think that might be because with type 1 questions the hardest part is to get the relatioship between the sets and then it is easy to get the 5 shapes. But for type 2 and 3 each exercise is individual. That is also why there are fewer of them in the exam. But I don't really think anyone knows for sure how this thing is marked.
Original post by Cargos
So I did my UKCAT yesterday and in the Kaplan diagnostics test I got VR:700 QR:890 and AR:650 with band 2 SJT (so pretty much the same as what you got) and managed to get VR: 670 QR:850 and AR: 680 (I'm really surprised because I couldn't actually see any patterns at all so guessed the majority) with band 2 SJT in the actual test!

I think the scaling for VR is actually too lenient in the Kaplan book and the QR questions a bit easier (while the 1000q ones are sooooo much more difficult). However overall it gives a fairly accurate representation :smile:

Thanks! Yh, the Kaplan diagnostics test seems much easier than the actual questions later on :P I still got the 100Q's book to do, and planning on getting medify later (got my test on 18th august). When should i really hit it hard?
Original post by rayrk
I actually hardly practiced QR. did the most for AR and VR.

Applying for 5 year programs. Internationals can't apply for the 4 year ones unfortunately.

Warwick has a fair number of international places I think!
Ohhhh i find QR most challenging😐

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 854
The actual is all in all is easier than literally any resource you might use - i used kaplan, medify and the isc 1000 questions book. Though I didn't finish any of the qr questions available on them because people have been saying they're easier on the forum and I've listened to them hah. So took a gamble there.

AR was harder than I thought. VR was as bad as all my mocks have been unfortunately - if not worse.

Original post by nisha devi
Ohhhh i find QR most challenging😐

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 855
Original post by dakshsaksena
Took my UKCAT today, I thought i'd be happy at this point but not really :frown:(
VR - 550
QR - 770
AR - 580
SJT - band 3
Avg - 633
Total - 1900
Except for AR, idk how i sank SO low in all the other three. Id been getting 630-650 in both VR and AR. On the bright side, my QR went better than expected.
SJT - oh god idek how i screwed it up. never got below band 2 in medify or pearson or ISC.

Guys you always see people posting their good scores on this forum, but im posting my amazingly **** scores to give you a wake up call and hopefully not underestimate the exam.

Also, how royally fkd am I in terms of uni admissions (A100)?

Thanks

You could apply to less UKCAT heavy schools like Queen's University Belfast. Your UKCAT is quite high for their ranking system (4/6 points). I applied this year as a graduate with 640 average and have an unconditional offer.

http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/medicine/Prospectivestudents/Applying/
Reply 856
Original post by MedicineMaybe
That is brilliant I hope I do just as well. How did you find QR was there any algebra involved or is it more problem solving ?

I'm applying for Durham/Newcastle well the Foundation Med anyway :smile:

Do you mean the medicine with foundation A191 through Durham University?
Reply 857
people worried about their scores...I've spoken to a lot of people this year and last year who've been applying for years and in the early results this year, it appears VR scores are coming out low for a lot of people.

As the UKCAT 'cut-off' for a specific university depends on the current year's applicants, you're going to be competing with other people who are also worried about their scores and didn't do as well as they hoped. The average scores this year may be lower as a result.

Don't give up, research your choices thoroughly with regards to how they use the UKCAT and remember it's only one small step to achieving your dream!
Right so I have just over 3 weeks till my actual exam and I just did the Kaplan Diagnostic and got:
AR: 650(Had to guess the last ones)
VR:630
QR:730
So average of 670.
Is this exam meant to be easier than the actual exam? I hope I can bump up my average by at least 30 points in the next three weeks.
Reply 859
To anyone that has sat the UKCAT, did you find the pearson vue mocks to be the most similar to it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending