The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phiiiilly
Does anyone know how you get an A* overall? Do you need to get an A* in each A2 module?

You need to average an A* across all three this year. And an a overall including last year. So at least 480 UMS over the two years and at least 270 this year.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
No it's biology. I learnt it at GCSE. There's reference to it in the scientific article.

Oh okay, thank you
Original post by cmolloy12
a lot of people fell into this trap and got dragged into talking about splicing but the key point was that the genes were different lengths and would therefore have different amino acids primary sequences, giving rise to different proteins

I think that it was just one gene in fruit flies and the question, how one gene could give rise to more than one protein.
Original post by Moleyeyes
You may pick up some marks for Golgi, as long as you talked about its role in protein synthesis. I hedged my bets and talked about roles of rER AND Golgi, just in case I had put the wrong answer for the labelling question!! As the image was so unclear, marking scheme may allow descriptions of both :smile:

i did not i just said that the vesicle from the rER fuses with the golgi then spoke about golgi but did not mention rER as i always speak about what i think is needed not everything otherwise i'd have no time. If i had extra time like people out there who even need it have then yeah i would write everything i know but unfortunately i finish with 2 minutes left. TbH i feel like those who spoke about golgi should get 1 mark for the idea of correct reference to a structure but not 4 because it was the wrong one considering the picture was 1 pixel and i wear glasses and cant see close up.
Original post by greenorange
I think that it was just one gene in fruit flies and the question, how one gene could give rise to more than one protein.

The answer is splicing, splicing does give rise to different lengths as it can also remove exons, rarely. Also i think you could mention about how a mistake can be made while translating the post mRNA.
Reply 845
Original post by Konanabanana
The answer is splicing, splicing does give rise to different lengths as it can also remove exons, rarely. Also i think you could mention about how a mistake can be made while translating the post mRNA.

Here's the mark scheme for the question:

reference to transcription;
reference to {post-transcriptional modification/splicing} of (pre-) mRNA ;
reference to spliceosomes;
reference to removal of introns;
idea that axons rearranged in different combinations;
idea that the (m)RNAs are different;
reference to translation;
idea of different {primary structure/sequence of amino acids};
idea that this results in different bonds;
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anon113
Yeah it wasn't, this guy is just a **** tbh.

suck your mum - I just used my head and initiative. Maybe you should try next time x
Original post by .JC.

yeah i said like 6/9 points if i remember maybe said 7.

What did you get for the GPP range estimate? i put 3600 ish but lots of people in my class put 500-1500GPP
Reply 848
if anyone has an unofficial mar scheme/ model answers please could you post the link here :smile: thanks. Don't worry guys, if you don't end up going to Uni because of this we can form our own rebellion against edexcel for the next few years of our life :smile:......
I mean it might be included in the mark scheme but I've never seen a biology paper include thermal expansion in the mark scheme which is really annoying
Reply 850
Do you guys attempt Q7 when doing past papers for unit 5 or just leave it out and concentrate on this years pre release ?
Original post by DENTISTLAURA
I get what you mean, I knew it was synoptic and I tried to go over as much AS as possible but the argument is not that it had AS content, the argument is that almost every question was based entirely on AS knowledge instead of A2 knowledge - one 3 marker on how b cells are activated hardly tests our knowledge about the entire immune system topic so how can this paper adaquately show how well we knew unit 4 when it was essentially a unit 2 exam

Exactly!
Original post by _H_V
Do you guys attempt Q7 when doing past papers for unit 5 or just leave it out and concentrate on this years pre release ?

don't waste your time mate, their questions are article specific. Focus on question 1-6 whe doing past papers and your article.
Reply 853
Original post by .JC.

Do you also think you would have got a mark for stating what an intron/ exon is?
Why cant synthetically altered organisms compete with regular petroleum products? (paragraph 43)
Original post by Cakey_101
Why cant synthetically altered organisms compete with regular petroleum products? (paragraph 43)

I guess as the paragraph states it cannot compete economically the answer would be on the lines of inefficiency and not being able to produce as much energy per molecule as compared to petroleum at the moment.
I cant seem to get to grips of what synthetic biology actually is. I know its the process of making new biological parts that didnt already exist, but the article keeps referring to 'circuits' which i dont understand. :frown:
Also how are they able to make synthetic DNA and transcription factors?
Original post by nav1234567
suck your mum - I just used my head and initiative. Maybe you should try next time x

I suggest you pipe down with your nasty comments. Jokes on you when your grade comes back **** because your head was too far up your own arse. Karmas a ***** so I suggest we keep this thread civil and be constructive and not criticise others
Is there a forum on discussing the scientific article for unit 5?
Can someone please send a link to the article because I think I might have the wrong one? The one I have is 'Aspects of Aging and Disease' and there's basically nothing on genetic modification like people are on about??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending