Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyMorris7)
    About the quality more than anything. But 2 for and 1 against is fine assuming they're to a high standard.
    Thank you.

I suppose quantity might not make up for quality? What exactly would quality paragraphs entail anyway; long trains of logic? In-depth analysis of all issues and influences that branch off of an idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caius Filimon)
    Thank you.

I suppose quantity might not make up for quality? What exactly would quality paragraphs entail anyway; long trains of logic? In-depth analysis of all issues and influences that branch off of an idea?
    Good paragraphs in my mind. State the point you're trying to make. Give reasoning behind said point you're making, then go on to back it up with application and further expand the point using your research before going on to giving a basic evaluation of the point linking it back to the question to pickup some easy evaluation marks along the way.

ReputationRep:
    For question 4 I first talked about both the failures and successes caused by government? I took it to mean the extent of success rather than strictly positive? Then for the other side I argued reasons why government does not have an impact on success ( consumer power is strongest influence, the European Union holding power over the uk government and finally that regulations are not always fulfilled, using the VW emissions scandal as an example) not sure how valid it is though as I talked about both success and a lack of success, focus img more on whether it was caused by government? Sorry that may not make sense

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone remember specifically remember what the question 4 asked? My parents want to know and i can give the basic outline, but I would like the specific answer if anyone can remember it.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to get everyones opinions on this...
    I did Q2 and my main points were:
    -It allows businesses to enter new markets due to low barriers of entry (eg. Uber and another example)
    -Customers rely on e-commerce because it's more convenient so you can increase sales (Morrisons only investing in e-commerce recently and so lost out on market share)
    -E-commerce isnt important for all markets (eg. High end fashion and Primark who rely on footfall)

Then Leadership I just did For and Against, then I suggested that a business could diversify to improve performance.

Not sure how accurate I am and people have used different points to me. Did I answer the qs correctly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrigan67)
    Hey, does anyone remember specifically remember what the question 4 asked? My parents want to know and i can give the basic outline, but I would like the specific answer if anyone can remember it.
    It gave an introduction to how government can effect business, then the actual question was 'to what extent is the success of a business determined by the uk government?' I think

ReputationRep:
    who did question 3 ? what were your points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meimaths123)
    Q5 on leadership what were you points
    For Q5 I spoke about how 'new' leaders means that an outsider is likely to instantly know what the underlying problems a business may have had which caused its performance to deteriorate. I kept using the hook words when evaluating each paragraph, like 'new' improve' and 'good'. I spoke about how a leader is only an element of bringing a business back on track but it is the main element and how external factors such as the volatile environment and state of competition is; whether the company has embraced disruptive technology to reduce barriers to entry etc. Internal stakeholders such as the employees also matter because it depends on whether they are happy with the new leader and their non-programmed decision to help bring about change for the business performance to improve. Oh and my examples were Tesco's Dave Lewis and his successful retrenchment strategy to close operations in Turkey. Adam Crozier from ITV who noticed a failed diversification strategy and noticed the business was experiencing strategic drift and Microsoft's failed takeover of Nokia. that's briefly what I wrote about in my essay, glad leadership came up tbh

Sorry this is soooo long but hope it helped. How was your exam by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1997x)
    -It allows businesses to enter new markets due to low barriers of entry (eg. Uber and another example)
    -Customers rely on e-commerce because it's more convenient so you can increase sales (Morrisons only investing in e-commerce recently and so lost out on market share)
    -E-commerce isnt important for all markets (eg. High end fashion and Primark who rely on footfall)

Then Leadership I just did For and Against, then I suggested that a business could diversify to improve performance.

Not sure how accurate I am and people have used different points to me. Did I answer the qs correctly?
    Have a look back at my post in the last page - we had pretty similar points for Q2!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1997x)

Your points are along the right lines yeah. Points for q2 are good if you went into detail but the points you've made are right assuming you linked them to going forward

ReputationRep:
    Your points are along the right lines yeah. Points for q2 are good if you went into detail but the points you've made are right assuming you linked them to going forward
    I kept saying 'in the future'! Is that enough?😂

ReputationRep:
    For q4 my main points were the government using fiscal and monetary policy.
    1st para on how expansionary fiscal policy can lead to economic growth and increase business and consumer confidence which can benefit businesses thru highet demand leading increased revenue and profits
    2nd point was low interest rates of 0.5% since 2009 which can increase business investment due to lower cost of borrowing and they tend to invest in r and d and innovation etc benefitting customers thru lower prices etc and allow them ti gain market share etc etc.
    3rd point was a disadvantage as the gov can have negative effects due to macroeconomic conflicts of inflation and higher growth and can lead to highet wages being demanded and increasing business costs and tbe risk of deflation can further lead lower prices etc and lead to less exploit of economies of scale etc thus .

Concluded saying gov policies doesaffect success of a business in the uk and summarised my mainpoints above witharound 3/4 on my last conclusion / evaluation.

Is this decent enough to get around 25-28 marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay Garrick)
    I did Q1 and Q4 did 4 as I like a question with success cause you can just talk about profits etc and I disagreed with the statement and used ecommerce as my counter arguments and used the text from section A to help with section B. Now thats what you call smart thinking
    *high 5* so did I!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saran12)
    For q4 my main points were the government using fiscal and monetary policy.
    1st para on how expansionary fiscal policy can lead to economic growth and increase business and consumer confidence which can benefit businesses thru highet demand leading increased revenue and profits
    2nd point was low interest rates of 0.5% since 2009 which can increase business investment due to lower cost of borrowing and they tend to invest in r and d and innovation etc benefitting customers thru lower prices etc and allow them ti gain market share etc etc.
    3rd point was a disadvantage as the gov can have negative effects due to macroeconomic conflicts of inflation and higher growth and can lead to highet wages being demanded and increasing business costs and tbe risk of deflation can further lead lower prices etc and lead to less exploit of economies of scale etc thus .

Concluded saying gov policies doesaffect success of a business in the uk and summarised my mainpoints above witharound 3/4 on my last conclusion / evaluation.

Is this decent enough to get around 25-28 marks?
    I literally wrote nothing about this :/ I wrote about the EU positives and negatives on the uk gvmnt and businesses, the effect of technological change (e commerce) on the success of a business and the effect of a recession on the success of a business with relevant examples 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how the examiner treats not answering the question in one of the paragraphs? do they basically just treat it as if it wasn't there as one of my paragraphs im pretty sure is complete rubbish and not answering the question but my other two were good lol ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo)
    Does anyone know how the examiner treats not answering the question in one of the paragraphs? do they basically just treat it as if it wasn't there as one of my paragraphs im pretty sure is complete rubbish and not answering the question but my other two were good lol ..
    Doesnt matter, won't mark you down if 1 paragraph is completely wrong if the others are on topic for example.

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt matter, won't mark you down if 1 paragraph is completely wrong if the others are on topic for example.
    my concern is that examiners dont spend enough time looking, because the one i went off topic on was the first paragraph .. so if they look at that one and not the other then i have an issue :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo)
    my concern is that examiners dont spend enough time looking, because the one i went off topic on was the first paragraph .. so if they look at that one and not the other then i have an issue :'
    I'd like to think the examiner you get won't be so naive!

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think the examiner you get won't be so naive!
    you know what so would I hahah ! Just for £2.50 a paper i think i wouldn't spend more than 5 mins marking ;')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo;[url="tel:66024109")
    66024109[/url]]my concern is that examiners dont spend enough time looking, because the one i went off topic on was the first paragraph .. so if they look at that one and not the other then i have an issue :'
    Don't worry about the examiners especially for AQA because I read the beginning of one of the mark schemes and it said that examiners must read each paragraph carefully and may have to look back at paragraphs when awarding the final mark for the essay. So I doubt you should lose any marks for having a not so good paragraph.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.