TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I adore my pocket sized version though! So handy. Not sure I could be arsed crawling back to my bag every time I wanted to check something.
    well according to our lecturer the print is so small you cant read anything :P.
    The standard book is quite small too anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    I finished my renal placement a little while ago, and I'm convinced you could be a nephrologist without really understanding how kidneys work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

we dont even have a proper renal placement...
    kidneys are now my worst nightmare.

Got the list of hospital choices through for 4th (finals) year :eek:

Any help on picking between major teaching hospitals and DGHs where there's more time for them to teach and the highest pass rates but less interesting cases and specialities? Only been in one teaching hospital as a student so far (which wasn't great or well organised) and I'm on community right now, so no chance to see the others before I pick...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Any help on picking between major teaching hospitals and DGHs where there's more time for them to teach and the highest pass rates but less interesting cases and specialities? Only been in one teaching hospital as a student so far (which wasn't great or well organised) and I'm on community right now, so no chance to see the others before I pick...
    Do you know any students or doctors who have already been to any of them to ask? I think several reviews from last years students would be the best guide.
    Is the pass rate actually significantly different?

In my experience DGH's can often feel more friendly because you get to know a smaller group of people better and you can also feel more included in the team when on the ward. The benefit of seeing lots of common conditions is that you can do more/be more involved and get more confident in the things that are really likely to come up in finals (and as a doctor). Also interesting cases often present initially at the DGH.

But equally if the set up is good in a big teaching hospital, you would also have a great placement, there may well be more formal teaching opportunities etc. It's not like common conditions only present at small hospitals, you will still get enough experience of the bread and butter stuff, and lots more besides.

IME it's mostly about the organisation and attitudes of the teaching staff. I'd recommend having both experiences, so if you've already had a big teaching hospital but not a DGH, I'd be inclined to ask for one. As long as you haven't heard bad things about the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    Well getting to theatre for 7:30 was an abject failure (attempt #2 tomorrow) but managed to get in for day cases in the afternoon helped with a few practical procedures + learnt how much I don't know about pharmacology...

ReputationRep:

Im of the view of DGH all the way... Ive been in huge teaching hospitals and you tend to get lost in the system. I've found i the DGH's Im given a lot more responsibility and they just have more time for you. You do get the more common stuff which is great as when would i need to know about a super rare cardiac problem/endocrine thing that they have nay 3 cases a year of?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know of a good way to manage mid back pain from studying? Don't want to start having to pop pills all the time and I've always found massages to be super painful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Purple)
    Anyone know of a good way to manage mid back pain from studying? Don't want to start having to pop pills all the time and I've always found massages to be super painful
    Back pain from studying ?!

How on earth are you studying? (A serious question here) ... bad posture I suspect.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any advice on electives?
    I would love to go to New Zealand or Australia, but I'm also quite drawn to Germany (except the language may be an issue; I speak German okayish, but not any medical German...).
    Of course all depends on whether I could actually get a placement in any of these places but I don't know where to apply in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a posture thing. Try to make sure you have a reasonably supportive chair too. I also find stretching helps with not feeling like your muscles are "bunched up" from sitting still for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JOO93)
    Back pain from studying ?!

How on earth are you studying? (A serious question here) ... bad posture I suspect.
    (Original post by LilithSternin)
    Sounds like a posture thing. Try to make sure you have a reasonably supportive chair too. I also find stretching helps with not feeling like your muscles are "bunched up" from sitting still for a long time.
    I find it difficult studying at home, so I study in cafes that have terrible chairs. Library is a no go too, it closes at 9
    So I either twiddle my thumbs at home or study and try to find a remedy for this back that's like corned beef

ReputationRep:

I know there are other unis that do finals in fourth year, but if you're at Liverpool by any chance, feel free to PM me if you want an opinion from a fourth year!

E: I personally haven't noticed less interesting conditions at DGHs compared to big hospitals actually! If anything, I've seen waaay more cool signs this year at a DGH than other years at bigger hospitals!

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Scotland Is getting it's first grad course.
    Found this from a link on the St Andrews Medical School twitter feed from 14th June

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 59
Size:  180.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K4TE Star)
    Looks like Scotland Is getting it's first grad course.
    Found this from a link on the St Andrews Medical School twitter feed from 14th June

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 59
Size:  180.2 KB
    Derry is getting their own in a couple of years too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fair play to Wales for looking to out-compete England for GPs by offering them training

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Fair play to Wales for looking to out-compete England for GPs by offering them training

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They need to.

Hopefully it causes England's recruitment to dip again as people transfer to Wales. It is the only reason that some areas went up this year, being paid 20k to go work there for 3 years isn't bad, although near half vanishes to Mr Taxman...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Tell me about it, training in wales is so appealing to me considering I am a medical student here, its a brilliant country which sadly loses a lot of medical students once graduated to england.

Definetly an exciting prospect for future welsh GPs.

ReputationRep:
    I found some yoga/stretch exercises helpful. You can find some videos online, but it works even better if you go to actual classes.
    Also, try laying down on the solid floor for few minutes, that helps too

ReputationRep:
    Tried foam rolling?

Hi guys

I'm a new student with an upcoming AR.

Any general tips/advice?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.