Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Cant wait :p:

ReputationRep:
    Over the past 3 years i've become increasingly interested in Rugby.

I think i've had it with football, England-wise.

England, with their **** brand of football, overhyped and overpaid players, can bugger off! :cool:

Love United, bugger off England. :cool:

I passionately include the English FA in that. Incompetant ******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)

England, with their **** brand of football, overhyped and overpaid players, can bugger off! :cool:

:rofl: Are you sure you've been watching properly? :p: England's rugby since they won the World Cup in 2003 has been worse than their football!

ReputationRep:

Stop chasing the glory. Not only do you support Utd (how original) but as soon as England footy team are doing bad you suddenly switch to rugby (oh and they're in the WC final). What a load of glory chasing.

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho rules out England

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Well he's always said he'd only manage Portugal, so no surprises there.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: I'd been saying that for some time

Next on the list must be Capello. I can't imagine Hiddink taking the job if England narrowly beat Russia to qualification; the Russian fans probably wouldn't like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laevis)
    :ditto: I'd been saying that for some time

Next on the list must be Capello. I can't imagine Hiddink taking the job if England narrowly beat Russia to qualification; the Russian fans probably wouldn't like that
    I'll be praying and hoping that happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Stop chasing the glory. Not only do you support Utd (how original) but as soon as England footy team are doing bad you suddenly switch to rugby (oh and they're in the WC final). What a load of glory chasing.
    I have supported Man United from a very early age, i live on the outskirts of Manchester, in Greater Manchester to be specific.

No, i've been unhappy with the state of English football for as long as i can remember. I remember 1996 where England played exciting and were quite successful with that brand of football, but since then, watching England has been like watching paint dry. And with English Rugby, for the last 4 years i've become increasingly keen on watching the England team, i certainly haven't become a glory hunter or a supporter overnight. Particularly keen on watching international rugby in general, for the last two years, at a time when England have truly been in the doldrums, post the 2003 world-cup win. So, how you can label me as gloryhunter, frankly is beyond me.

A suggestion? Don't be so immature.

ReputationRep:
    I heard from a source close to Mourinho that he'd take the England job. This would help his children as they reportedly didn't want to move away from London.

If the FA can't get Mourinho then Capello is the only answer for me.

And with English Rugby, for the last 4 years i've become increasingly keen on watching the England team, i certainly haven't become a glory hunter or a supporter overnight. Particularly keen on watching international rugby in general, for the last two years, at a time when England have truly been in the doldrums, post the 2003 world-cup win. So, how you can label me as gloryhunter, frankly is beyond me.
    You've missed some of the best times before 2003. The autumn internationals which included a 53-3 thumping of South Africa and the Six Nations which then followed preceding the World Cup were awesome.

ReputationRep:
    You say all this, his kids being content in London, Mourinho being content living in the UK alongside his family, his being quite popular with many fans, not just from Chelsea....BUT...

i read a bbc article today, and it directly quotes Mourinho. It/he says he doesn't want the England managerial position because...

(1). He mentions that a national team should have coaching and managerial personnel of English-born origin. If i'm recollecting correctly, i'm pretty sure it mentions this nationality scheme of things..

(2). He'd much prefer being the manager of his own county, Portugal

(3). Becoming a manager of a national team would be akin to going part-time (and part-time is a generous description), and he wants to be a busy, occupied man, in a full-time position. Becoming a national manager would feel like semi-retirement to him, and AT PRESENT, this isn't something he wants in his life.

(4). He mentions Italy as his next port of call, wishing to test himself against the good and great tacticians operating in Serie A.

Sum up, he doesn't feel fulfilled in club management, and until then, he won't go into national management, and when he does do, he'll be manager of Portugal. England would be second in the pecking order, and understandably so. If there was a vacancy for Portugal at the same time as there is for England, for example, if he was to choose England over Portugal, he would effectively be betraying his own country, his own nationality....and that would be a bit weird, something that seemingly wouldn't sit comfortably with Mourinho.

ReputationRep:
    All those reasons frankly sound very logical.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but football's a funny ol' game.

ReputationRep:
    And it would be a wonderful one if Mourinho took the job. ;yes;

The only reason mentioned by WHW that got me down was the one about wanting a manager of English origin.

Don't get me started! :p: We couldn't get our own footballers pissed properly these days let alone help them win a World Cup. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think a new manager would have an impact on the current generation of players. The mentality won't change.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its a lack of commitment on the part of england players - theyre doing the best they can.

ReputationRep:
    the reality is, they're not all that great. End of.

Even with a better manager, they'd still not win things. Maybe get to semi-stages in big tournaments, but that's only a one stage progression from where they currently usually end up, that being at QF stages.

And they probably won't even qualify for Euro 2008. Most likely. I think it'll take a miracle, i'll go as far as saying this.

ReputationRep:
    ^ So what is it about our system that we can't produce enough homegrown top footballers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwback)
    ^ So what is it about our system that we can't produce enough homegrown top footballers?
    There's been quite a lot of talk about this ;yes;

To summarise, the whole of the youth set up is wrong because it over emphasises the physical attribute such as strength, pace, stamina, agility etc and neglect the more technical side to the game; that's why we produce a Micah Richards and not a Robin Van Persie, for example.

There was a BBC report on this too where they compared youth accademies in England to those in the top European clubs who have produced the best homegrown talent such as Ajax, Barcelona, Sporting Lisbon etc. They found that we don't spend enough time training with the ball at an early age. We put too much emphasis on things like physicality and tactics way too early. On the continent they just play with the ball, with the ball, with the ball, they produce Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson etc and the nearest we get is Joe Cole.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.