UKCAT 2008 Thread Watch

scaryhair
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by badger stripes)
hey i just tried the quantitative reasoning on that, and got MUCH lower on those questions than on other practice qs. in the actual exam are the questions like the ones on the medicmix website??
Umm yeah I'd say the real ones were slightly easier than the ones on the medicmix website
The main thing to do is not to panic, by staying focussed and calm you channel all your energy into the test and so work quickly and efficiently!
The Toffy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I did my UKCAT today and got 2560. However, my GCSEs were very poor. Would this make my application much more positive? Ignore my AS, as my school doesn't certify them

VR: 720
QR: 760
Abstract: 520
Decision Analysis: 560
SilentGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ShafaqRauf)
To those of you, who are getting all ' worried' abt their ukcat scored being like 605-630 !! . . u reallyy have no need to ! .. You shoukd infact get Happy ! ..
I have a few freinds who are into QM medic 08 with 605, and 633 etc ! .. as Long as you are over 600, you definately have a decent chace of getting in ! .. ofcourse with all the other stuff !

Even though uni's say they dont count Ukcat with such importacne.. they practically lie ! . . we all know if the uni has somone with 717 and 610, they are probly more likely to choose the 717 one.. if both are of the same ability, ps..grades n all.. etc !

I have AAA in my A2's at Chem, Bio and Law... n taking a gap year ! AS Psychology at A ! .. n in the gap year have taken additional as level..of Physics !

I was just wondering if anyone else is finding the verbal reasoning test horeendously difficult !!! .. i cant seeem to get any of the questions correct in the book !! . . its suchh a mess !! .. n i dont even agree with half othe asnwers ! .. i got like 6/30 correct ! .. and thats the only section I have prepared for !

those..who have already done their tests... are the passages the same length as the ones in the book ? or slightly easier.?

make me feel good..its 4:am.. i am panickingg !! .. lol !..

Good luck to the rest ! .. though i definately need the most !

i get u !! I got 8/30...I took 5 min extra time haha...
badger stripes
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SilentGirl)
omg no way!! i got 8/30 on the verbal in the book too! lol, but, i did one on a website and got 75% which makes me feel a lil better.
Speedbird2008
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
May I just say that "Chemistry [239/300 ---> B ]" is officially THE most annoying grade you could ever wish for and I feel your pain.

Have some +ve. :p:
SilentGirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Speedbird2008)
May I just say that "Chemistry [239/300 ---> B ]" is officially THE most annoying grade you could ever wish for and I feel your pain.

Have some +ve. :p:

:yep: Im trying not to make it my end of the world ¬ We should all move on... but it did bug me at first for few days....now the pain is slightly healed.....can the worries ever leave you !!
SilentGirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
omg no way!! i got 8/30 on the verbal in the book too! lol, but, i did one on a website and got 75% which makes me feel a lil better.
I havent tried the online tests properly yet..do they give u an automatic score, or u have to work it out by recording the answers on a piece of paper?
蘋果
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shuijing)
Wow, that really is a consolation. I'm doing mine in 4 days and I'm so stressed out because I was thinking of Edinburgh which some people told me weighted UKCAT very heavily but I'm really rubbish at it. So I was just thinking there's no point... until I read this. Thank you! ^___^
Here's the link to reassure you even more
Good luck getting into Edinburgh. I hope I get into Edinburgh too, so I was relieved to see that the UKCAT is not that important.
SilentGirl
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I got 75% too under no time limit. I shouldnt have used more than 10 min. I answered 15/20 questions at the 10th min. I need to work on my timings. I think, I hate abstract reasoning more than verbal reasoning. That could be due to the fact that I havnt gone through the AR part of the ukcat book yet.
prudentstudent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Holsy)
:ditto:

I have a conundrum. I can't work out the rationale for this Abstract Reasoning question. I know the answer, but not how to get to it. Anyone fancy tackling it?

I've attached it to this post.

Edit: And another one!
Edit: More readable :p:

For the first Q -
Set A rationale (I sound proper clever lol :p:) any repeated shapes are placed horizontally next to each other, and rotated by 180 degrees. You can ignore any non-repeated shapes.

Set B rationale - any repeated shapes are placed anywhere in the box, and are rotated by 90 degrees. Aagin, you can ignore any non-repeated shapes.

Thus, the answer is Set B, as the shape shown contains two identical shapes, rotated by 90 degrees, and two non-identical shapes.

Still figuring out the second one :p:. Will be back to you asap.
Raquel//
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Holsy)
I'd say you're definitely right on the reasoning for both of them. Thank you! (And those also are the correct answers.)
No way! I'm usually crap at AR. Wahoo, the future looks bright for me and the UKCAT (I say that optimistically...) When abouts are you doing it?
prudentstudent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For the second Q-
Symmetry I think...
Set A rationale - no lines of symmetry
Set B rationale - more than one line of symmetry.

Thus, the answer is neither, as the shape has only 1 line of symmetry.

I think?
ShafaqRauf
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lisa_xx)
hey
im in the same boat with havin finished ur alevels already at AAA....this is kinda a personal question but did u get rejected last yr n then applyin agn or r u jus applyin for the first time? the reason im askin is because i dunno whether to take a gap year or go to uni(to do chem) as my parents r puttin on pressure to go to uni this yr incase i dnt get in agn. i didnt apply for medicine last yr as my predictions wernt gud enough.
o n the verbal reasonin is better in the real thing than the practice test....the passages are way smaller.
hey dont worryy abt it being personal ! .. I am all kool with u asking anything you like really ! .. for med... for anyone ( specially me ).. the more the help the better !!

noppee.. i dint get rejected last year ! .. i never appled ! .. i got AAAB last yer in AS .. but didnt apply bcoz i was toooo scarreddd about getting rejected ! .. and i pobly wasnt confident enuuf about doin my examz and ukcat and all at the same time ! .. i didnt belive inmyself too much and soo didnt apply !

But when i got AAA .. i kneww it there and then im deffo gunaa apply watever it takes !! . . soo thats it really ! uve got the grades know... probly much better prepared for the ukcat as well.( or uve alredy done urs..?) take a gap yer ! .. it will definately pay off !! i know it will !! Im scared as well abt taking a gap year ( i got in london school of pharmacy) n i m scared that this year doesnt go in waste ! .. but im not gunna go do a course i dont want to ! .. med is something ive soo badly dreamt of ! .. want to try atleast, beofre i think again !

you mind me asking..? wat was ur UKCAT score last year ?
it taking me foreverrrr to do the verbal reasoning anf the QT !! . . i m only that far yet ! .. n im finding it everrr soooo difficult with the timing for qt ! but for verbal reasoning.. itsss hard to get the questions correct ? did any body else feel the same way ..? that they are getting verbal reasoning incorrect ??

Thank you for ur help ! .. lemee know.. if u need help with nething !!
ShafaqRauf
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Toffy)
I did my UKCAT today and got 2560. However, my GCSEs were very poor. Would this make my application much more positive? Ignore my AS, as my school doesn't certify them

VR: 720
QR: 760
Abstract: 520
Decision Analysis: 560
HOOOWWWW..?!! did u manage this score..?! .. how did u find verbal reasoning..? were you doing well when you were practicising with the book as well..? or u were doing bad..? and the test was easy compared to the book..? and as a result you done well..?! :confused: aahh... thats my dream score ! leme know ! ..
The Toffy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ShafaqRauf)
HOOOWWWW..?!! did u manage this score..?! .. how did u find verbal reasoning..? were you doing well when you were practicising with the book as well..? or u were doing bad..? and the test was easy compared to the book..? and as a result you done well..?! :confused: aahh... thats my dream score ! leme know ! ..
i just practiced the book. the test was as hard. but i think the marks are totally diferrent cos i thought i did pretty darn crap. :woo:
Rach L
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I just sat mine and got:-

Verbal: 700
Quantitative: 690
Abstract: 510
Decision: 620

Giving me an average of 630! Which is more than I was expecting as I'm awful at abstract.
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Rach L)
I just sat mine and got:-

Verbal: 700
Quantitative: 690
Abstract: 510
Decision: 620

Giving me an average of 630! Which is more than I was expecting as I'm awful at abstract.
Well done, Rach L! VR is hard. :yep:
Make_It
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I had mine booked for 30th Aug but rescheduled it to Sept 15th because I hadn't started preparing for it yet and...I'm suffering from summer brain syndrome
badger stripes
Report 10 years ago
I got 75% too under no time limit. I shouldnt have used more than 10 min. I answered 15/20 questions at the 10th min. I need to work on my timings. I think, I hate abstract reasoning more than verbal reasoning. That could be due to the fact that I havnt gone through the AR part of the ukcat book yet.
i think i make more mistakes on AR because i dont have to read anything, i dont look at the sets properly and think about them, i just look at the question/test square and see which one it looks the most like... which isnt how i shud b doing it lol... need to work on that.
Shuijing
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 蘋果)
Here's the link to reassure you even more
Good luck getting into Edinburgh. I hope I get into Edinburgh too, so I was relieved to see that the UKCAT is not that important.
Thanks a lot! Good luck to you too! ^__^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.34%
No - but I will (9)
4.27%
No - I don't want to (14)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
49.76%

Watched Threads