McCain vs. Obama Watch

silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've only caught half of it so far. McCain was being more aggressive and Obama was less drawn into the attacks, concentrated more on the issues... I dont know if that is good or bad as stupid voters would probably think he didn't defend himself well enough.

Anyway, it's wide open. I don't believe the polls that Obama is ahead (Bradley effect and all that). I just don't.
manderlay in flames
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)
I've only caught half of it so far. McCain was being more aggressive and Obama was less drawn into the attacks, concentrated more on the issues... I dont know if that is good or bad as stupid voters would probably think he didn't defend himself well enough.

Anyway, it's wide open. I don't believe the polls that Obama is ahead (Bradley effect and all that). I just don't.
Well kerry was never this far ahead and he took it to the wire, but then again he was white. I'd guess that even taking into account the gap between these polls and the real world Obama is ahead.
Red Hot Raggle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just finished watching it. Think the whole pre-practiced Joe the plumber was a bit rubbish and thought Obama done well to come back against that. His nastiness and body language showed through and Obama done very well with the Ayres subject and the accusations he was charged with. But that was easily the best debate and I liked the moderator, he seemed to get a lot more out of the candidates, but McCain's offensive strategy probably helped that aswell. McCain tried his best, but Obama kept his presidential stature throughout the entire thing and done extremely well when dealing with McCain's strategy. Its over.

Liked the slipscreen shots when the candidates were answering aswell!
Captain Crash
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by silent ninja)

The Bradley effect has only been applied to smaller scale elections in predominantly white areas usually for candidates with a racially based candidacy e.g. Jesse Jackson. Obama isn't making race an issue and indeed there is evidence from the primary that he causes a reverse Bradley effect, especially in states with high proportion of blacks (West Virginia look out).

Moreover, the Bradley effect is only measured at a maximum of 6%. Obama is 10% ahead. Also to win, McCain needs to hold Ohio, Florida, Colorado, Virginia, Indiana, Missouri and North Carolina (Bush voting states in the last election...). Can you honestly believe he will hold all of these?
cucumber sandwich
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Notice that Kerry won every single debate last time as well, according to everybody.
It's not over unitl the votes have been counted
Overground
Badges: 17
Report 10 years ago
"2050, Eminem reunites with 50Cent on stage."

Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Overground)
"2050, Eminem reunites with 50Cent on stage."

There'll be a caption competition about this somewhere, I'm sure!
Meus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's not a fair picture
Captain Crash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cucumber sandwich)
Notice that Kerry won every single debate last time as well, according to everybody.
It's not over unitl the votes have been counted
He wasn't 8-9 points ahead in the polls in October though.

No post-WW2 president has overcome such an October deficit in the polls.
bexicle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A shocking compliance of evidence against Obama's presidency which makes an interesting read. from a little known US musician.

I don't like it how a lot of celebrities are jumping on the Obama bandwagon, you don't get celebs here praising Brown or Cameron... I don't think celebrities should have the right to say who they are voting for, isn't it illegal to tell others your vote.

That is quite strange why Obama would support a live abortion such as pulling the infant out and stabbing it. Is that even legal in the UK?
Eragon452
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bexicle89)
A shocking compliance of evidence against Obama's presidency which makes an interesting read. from a little known US musician.

I don't like it how a lot of celebrities are jumping on the Obama bandwagon, you don't get celebs here praising Brown or Cameron... I don't think celebrities should have the right to say who they are voting for, isn't it illegal to tell others your vote.

That is quite strange why Obama would support a live abortion such as pulling the infant out and stabbing it. Is that even legal in the UK?
Anti abortion though I may be, that sounded horrendous!
cucumber sandwich
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Captain Crash)
He wasn't 8-9 points ahead in the polls in October though.

No post-WW2 president has overcome such an October deficit in the polls.
He's only 6 points behind. Plus, to answer your statement: George W Bush
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLI...oll/index.html
Meus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think the difference is now the large gap in electoral votes that Obama has attained in comparison to McCain, and these are more important than the popular vote which Obama has a lead in anyway.
cucumber sandwich
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meus)
I think the difference is now the large gap in electoral votes that Obama has attained in comparison to McCain, and these are more important than the popular vote
Probably. Obama is ahead in weird republican states like Virginia and Colorado. Also Florida, which is immensly important. Unless something major happens, he will win
ssk2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._late_game_win

A very interesting look at the last debate from a very neutral standpoint. Good read IMO.
Captain Crash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He's slipped in the polls slightly but by my count he's still 7 points ahead

As for GWB, perhaps I should have clarified - no president has come back from a deficit this large 3 weeks before the election.
Captain Crash
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ssk2)

A very interesting look at the last debate from a very neutral standpoint. Good read IMO.
**** Morris is hardly neutral.
Ascient
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ssk2)

Other articles by **** Morris:

Mac's Shot at a Late-Game Win By **** Morris
There's Still Time, John McCain By **** Morris
The Brilliance of McCain's Move By **** Morris
How McCain Can Prosper in a Bad Economy By **** Morris
Obama vs. Obama By **** Morris
Democrats in Trouble By **** Morris
A Star [Sarah Palin] is Born By **** Morris
Stand By Sarah: She's Still a Winning Pick By **** Morris

He doesn't seem to be very neutral at all.
ssk2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Captain Crash)
**** Morris is hardly neutral.
Did you even bother to read the article, or are you that blind? What about it was partisan?
PeeWeeDan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is Obama THIS funny? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC79EWM2uEA&feature=dir
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (144)
18.51%
No (473)
60.8%
Not really bothered about them (161)
20.69%

Watched Threads