Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by FuzzySheep)
I really liked that episode, I liked the moral aspect and I thought Kahler Jex was pretty interesting. I think the episode was better on the emotional side of things rather than plot, but it was still very watchable

Did anyone think the Gunslinger was a little bit Batman-esque? The final bit of dialogue from the woman had the same sort of meaning as Gordon's speech at the end of the Dark Knight.
A tiny bit. I loved the acting in this one as well. Everybody seemed at the top of their game.

(Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:)
Shockingly, I actually really liked that episode, next week looks promising too! Moffat may be on a bit of a roll (and about time too!)

Moffat didn't write it. He didn't write the next one either.
TopHat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alofleicester)
But, you're a woman :gasp:

I think people are being a tad harsh on Amy, her only real part in the episode was in that morality play in the sheriff's office. Yes, it was a role that someone else could have covered - but in part she was there to be reminder to the doctor of how he used to deal with people.
I don't think Amy was needed for that. I think this episode would actually have been stronger if Amy and Rory's parts had been replaced by Isaac and the young kid, and this had been a solo Doctor episode.
The_Super_Nerd(:
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
Once again Amy was bloody annoying, she needs to learn to shut her mouth.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
This caused me to very nearly spit out my tea I do like Amy but the whole sassy female companion thing is kind of boring me now, I'm a tad worried that Clara is going to turn out as Amy 0.2 in that respect.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TopHat)
I don't think Amy was needed for that. I think this episode would actually have been stronger if Amy and Rory's parts had been replaced by Isaac and the young kid, and this had been a solo Doctor episode.
I'm not sure about that - certainly Rory was unnecessary, but I think they needed a companion there to help keep the Doctor in check at times.
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But, you're a woman :gasp:

I think people are being a tad harsh on Amy, her only real part in the episode was in that morality play in the sheriff's office. Yes, it was a role that someone else could have covered - but in part she was there to be reminder to the doctor of how he used to deal with people.

likewise, K9 and SJS :love:

I thought it was Chibnall that wrote Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?

That's what you think.
I jest. I am so good at other multi-tasking! Music + work, driving and music, but when I am watching Doctor Who, I need the full concentration. Yeah, apparently I don't need the '100% concentration' when driving... ermm. Actually, it might not be true. I haven't driven since passing my test. Damn being a student... Lack of 'dolla. £$ );
Bobifier
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, Amy is rapidly tiring on me. Initially, she was one of my favourite companions but she's definitely starting to outstay her welcome. I still stand by her being the best companion of the new series, just for how Season 5 went, but I don't think NuWho has really managed to get companions on the level of the old series yet; it's the one consistent weakness in NuWho compared to the older format.
Are you claiming that Martha was better than Amy and Rory?
TopHat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm not sure about that - certainly Rory was unnecessary, but I think they needed a companion there to help keep the Doctor in check at times.
I think Isaac could have filled that role in the same way Lindsay did in The Waters of Mars. Often I felt like Isaac and Amy were sharing the same purpose (a foil to the Doctor's violence) and that lessened the impact.
TopHat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bobifier)
Are you claiming that Martha was better than Amy and Rory?
No? When did I say that? Martha was NuWho's worst companion. Her only redeeming role was the Family of Blood.
TheHistoryStudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No? When did I say that? Martha was NuWho's worst companion. Her only redeeming role was the Family of Blood.
You're referring to the companions before Dr Who was re-booted with Eccleston aren't you?

As far as companions go for me personally Amy is the best so far... I never really liked Rose, Martha or Donna (Well... Donna was ok actually...)
TopHat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
You're referring to the companions before Dr Who was re-booted with Eccleston aren't you?
Yes. We've not had a Sarah Jane Smith or Leela or Susan or McCrimmon yet; in terms of companions who really have a great impact (imo, anyway). Amy was the closest but she still remains fairly one-dimensional at times.

EDIT: Out of the NuWho bunch, I'd say (Rory) > Amy > Donna > (River Song) > Rose > (Captain Jack) > Martha.
TheHistoryStudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes. We've not had a Sarah Jane Smith or Leela or Susan or McCrimmon yet; in terms of companions who really have a great impact (imo, anyway). Amy was the closest but she still remains fairly one-dimensional at times.
I've never really seen the old Whos, so I'm not really able to comment on the old companions haha I agree about Amy though - she's good, but when you think about her throughout all the series she's done, she just doesn't seem to have changed much - perhaps I'm just imagining it though.

If there's one companion that I will be glad to see go though, it's River Song... pretty much any story she's involved in is often quite convoluted, and I hate her flirting... the character just annoys me in general. I'm hoping though, with the departure of Amy and Rory we'll see her departure too quite soon. She's already been killed off I know (from the Silence in the Library double back in the Tennant era), and they've covered her beginning (as Amy and Rory's child and her subsequent attempt on the Doctor's life) now all we've got to do is the middle bit and we can finally bid her goodbye... and not a moment too soon either.
TopHat
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think River Song was good in her first few appearances, but ultimately was used terribly inflexibly as a character and always ended up being written the same when certain stories should have demanded very different sides to her. The best characters develop, River Song never did. She's now reached the point I am utterly tired of her, and I really don't want to see her again. That said, I think she still needs to be remembered at least as a moderately good companion for her occasional strong episodes (Silence in the Library, Day of the Moon), but no more.
Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did anyone else think the barmaid looked like River Song? I kept thinking it was her standing in the background.
BatLoki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think River Song was good in her first few appearances, but ultimately was used terribly inflexibly as a character and always ended up being written the same when certain stories should have demanded very different sides to her. The best characters develop, River Song never did. She's now reached the point I am utterly tired of her, and I really don't want to see her again. That said, I think she still needs to be remembered at least as a moderately good companion for her occasional strong episodes (Silence in the Library, Day of the Moon), but no more.
This. I liked her when she first appeared in Silence in the Library/ Forest of the Dead but after that...meh. I don't feel like she's developed much and I just find her Mary Sue-ish and yeah.

ANYWAY.

I liked tonight's episode! I've been refraining from criticising them too much because, after a while, criticising them is just SO tiring. x_x

By the way, is anybody on this thread going to Middlesex uni in October because I'd like to meet people who actually like the same things as I do
Pandora.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Feefifofum)
Did anyone else think the barmaid looked like River Song? I kept thinking it was her standing in the background.
It's not just you, I thought that when she was in the bar at the beginning.
lizolove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

(Original post by Pandora.)
It's not just you, I thought that when she was in the bar at the beginning.
I did too. I was eating my dinner, had a glance, and was like: :eek:

River Song return date:
Spoiler:
Show
She returns in episode 6, so I figured it wasn't her after a few seconds.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lizolove)
I did too. I was eating my dinner, had a glance, and was like: :eek:

River Song return date:
Spoiler:
Show
She returns in episode 6, so I figured it wasn't her after a few seconds.
Pretty sure she's in

Spoiler:
Show
Episode 5. Episode 6 will be when the series returns again after Christmas
lizolove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Pretty sure she's in

Spoiler:
Show
Episode 5. Episode 6 will be when the series returns again after Christmas
I may be wrong then!
Spoiler:
Show
But, I could have sworn somebody said it was 6, because apparently Amy and Rory leave in episode 5. It makes sense that River is in the same episode that they leave though.
Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lizolove)
I may be wrong then!
Spoiler:
Show
But, I could have sworn somebody said it was 6, because apparently Amy and Rory leave in episode 5. It makes sense that River is in the same episode that they leave though.
Spoiler:
Show
She is definitely in 5, I've seen spoilers of the plot :p: . No idea about 6 (the xmas episode), I assume not as the new companion will need to be introduced...
lizolove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
She is definitely in 5, I've seen spoilers of the plot :p: . No idea about 6 (the xmas episode), I assume not as the new companion will need to be introduced...
Spoiler:
Show
You're probably right then!

Spoilers... Oh, you're tempting me to know them. Must resist.
True! What's your opinion on the new companion from episode 1?!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.51%
No - but I will (25)
5.52%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (217)
47.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise