Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MisterOrange)
    Thats true. But for English theres one last resit in Nov '13

Posted from TSR Mobile
    fair. do you have any idea on how to remark coursework? and the chances of it getting moved up?

ReputationRep:
    Maths: A* (predicted A)
    English Language: A (predicted A)
    History: A* (predicted C?!)
    Music: A (predicted A)
    RS: B (predicted A*)
    French: A* (predicted A)

The B in RS is really annoying. Btw I'm only in year 10 so haven't finished all my GCSEs yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PARM1)
    Are my gcse results good enough to even think about applying for medicine at oxford? I got 9 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 B's and i will be doing maths, chem, bio and physics for my A levels
    Nice man. I got 8A*s (including an A^), 3 As and a Distinction.

Getting my History remarked so hopefully I can join the 9 A* crew

and meh probably. I was told they all had to be A-A*, but i'm sure you'd get in cos of the amount of A*s you got dude.

Oxford mainly looks at AS and the entrance and also a lot of experience for medicine. It also looks a fair bit into GCSEs for medicine to show that you can cope with a large work load. I'm applying for Oxford and I only got 8 A*s (including an A^).

The average med applicant gets 7 A*s remember. So you're well above the norm Keep working hard.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think I should get a remark in French being 2 UMS marks from an A grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MisterOrange)
    I meant the written units. Get them remarked or resit in Nov. Resit, you're guaranteed an A. Remark and you also have a shot. GL
    Thank you! And who here thinks that if I got the written paper at the end of the GCSE remarked, I'll go up a minimum of 2 raw marks to get my A overall? As in how likely would it be? I don't think our school likes retakes...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenshades)
    Does anyone think I should get a remark in French being 2 UMS marks from an A grade?
    Yeah I think it'll be worth it. If you think you did very well and is worth that A, which you most likely do, then it's only 2 UMS, your grade can go up but can't really go down. I'm remarking my biology too, similar situation to yours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leechayy)
    Wow, sorry for the late reply

You're welcome :P

Yeah I guess I mean both
    Haha, that's ok
    Well afterwards I went to Costa and got a fruit smoothie
    But yeah, in the slightly more longterm future, I'm going to sixth form in my old school, to do History, English Lit, Biology and Chemistry, then hopefully medicine
    How about you?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green Bubblegum)
    Well, do you think you would be interested?
    I'm sorry but no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths_geek)
    I'm sorry but no
    Ok,Thats fine. Tell your friends if they need any help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king_revision)
    Nice man. I got 8A*s (including an A^), 3 As and a Distinction.

Getting my History remarked so hopefully I can join the 9 A* crew

and meh probably. I was told they all had to be A-A*, but i'm sure you'd get in cos of the amount of A*s you got dude.

Oxford mainly looks at AS and the entrance and also a lot of experience for medicine. It also looks a fair bit into GCSEs for medicine to show that you can cope with a large work load. I'm applying for Oxford and I only got 8 A*s (including an A^).

The average med applicant gets 7 A*s remember. So you're well above the norm Keep working hard.
    Alright, thanks =D. But another issue which i am worrying about is that even though on my results sheet it said i got 9 A*'s, 2 of those were from BTEC business. So, i don't know whether they will credit those as actual A*'s...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel2)
    YES ...I know someone with 9A*S that has a place for med at Cambridge...but you need to work hard for AS and A-levels it more to do with UMS marks ....(I think)
    oh and also because it is medicine think about if you REALLY want to go to Oxbridge...other universities can be just as credible and maybe even more suited to you...do your research don't jump straight in..
    Alright, thanks for the advice =)

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me what an A^ is? Am I being incredibly ignorant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got 11A*s in:
    IGCSEs:Maths, double-award Science, French, Spanish, English Literature
    GCSEs: Music, History, Geography, Latin, Ancient Greek

And 1A in English Language (IGCSE)- I'm considering a remark as I was only 1% off boundary, but I'm unsure as I was really pleased overall with my results and it might just be expensive and a waste of time... What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel2)
    YES ...I know someone with 9A*S that has a place for med at Cambridge...but you need to work hard for AS and A-levels it more to do with UMS marks ....(I think)
    oh and also because it is medicine think about if you REALLY want to go to Oxbridge...other universities can be just as credible and maybe even more suited to you...do your research don't jump straight in..
    In fact, my mother (who is a professor in biochem at Oxford, but is also involved in admissions) actually reckons that the medical students from Imperial come out better qualified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PARM1)
    Alright, thanks =D. But another issue which i am worrying about is that even though on my results sheet it said i got 9 A*'s, 2 of those were from BTEC business. So, i don't know whether they will credit those as actual A*'s...
    What were your A*s in ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a123a)
    What were your A*s in ?
    Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Leisure and Tourism, ICT, DT, 2 from BTEC Business. I thought i was going to get one in Spanish but aqa were super harsh, so when my controlled assessments where moderated, i went from full marks and just under full marks in the writing and speaking to just over an A and just below an A =(. In my exams i got full ums in reading and 52/60 in listening, but even if i got full marks in those i still wouldn't of got an A* =(.

ReputationRep:
    What mark did you get in Spanish overall? Remark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tess_rach)
    Can someone explain to me what an A^ is? Am I being incredibly ignorant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A^ is an A* with distinction. .. it is the grade higher than an A* in AQAs Level 2 Further Maths Exam. I'm not sure if you can get it in any other exams though??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PARM1)
    Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Leisure and Tourism, ICT, DT, 2 from BTEC Business. I thought i was going to get one in Spanish but aqa were super harsh, so when my controlled assessments where moderated, i went from full marks and just under full marks in the writing and speaking to just over an A and just below an A =(. In my exams i got full ums in reading and 52/60 in listening, but even if i got full marks in those i still wouldn't of got an A* =(.
    You did very well. Were your As in english?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a123a)
    You did very well. Were your As in english?
    nope, i got B's in lang and lit, and i fear that's something that is going to be holding me back =(. I have never been good at English, i even did language 3 times and i still couldn't get an A...
    I got an A in spanish and 2 in ICT, as well as B's in english lang, lit and PE =(

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.