The Liverpool FC Thread XIV Watch

This discussion is closed.
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Shamal George (our sub GK) is coming on for an injured Lucas.

You don't see that every day...
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We're playing like **** this half.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Maybe it'll start a bidding war and he'll go for 20m
I doubt either are that desperate and we'd probably just accept rather than try to drive up.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
2nd penalty of the game
If we miss this one too...

EDIT: Moreno 2-0
Should've let George take it tbh!!
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
I doubt either are that desperate and we'd probably just accept rather than try to drive up.
Well we actually have some really good squad depth now in midfield.

Can, Grujic, Henderson and Wijnaldum (if we sign him) can all play in the 2 midfield spots we have.

Without Europe, with 4 players ahead of him, Allen's playtime would be too low for a player of his ability so maybe moving on is the right thing to do.
Hugs31
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Quite a busy day transfer-wise with Bogdan (and potentially Allen after we accepted £13m) leaving and Klavan coming in.
Seeing essentially our sixth/seventh choice keeper play midfield brought a smile to my face from tonight's friendly, nearly ten years since Reina played midfield against Kaiserslautern in a preseason friendly Happy with four wins and four clean sheets from four games but I'll be surprised if we manage that in the remaining preseason games against tougher opposition.
mr tim
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hamstring for Lucas.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sad article about Agger but worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/football...athletes-pills
Is it something that is essentially legalised doping/performance enhancing drugs.

There should be limits on the painkillers that can be taken, just to protect the players if nothing else.

I did like the parts about Rodgers and Hodgson, encapsulated their Liverpool careers perfectly.*
mr tim
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We have agreed a fee for Wijnaldum for £25m

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mr tim)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469088045.571795.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  95.9 KB

That gives us some amazing squad depth tbh.

You have to wonder about Henderson though - with Can, Grujic and Wijnaldum also in the squad, is our captain even a guaranteed starter?

That's not even accounting for Lucas either (although there's a strong possibility he'll leave this summer).
Fish40
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)

You have to wonder about Henderson though - with Can, Grujic and Wijnaldum also in the squad, is our captain even a guaranteed starter?

That's not even accounting for Lucas either (although there's a strong possibility he'll leave this summer).
What about milner? , he got most assists for Liverpool last year and was third best player Europe statically 2016

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fish40)
What about milner? , he got most assists for Liverpool last year and was third best player Europe statically 2016

Posted from TSR Mobile
Milner would be in the more forward positions - sorry I was talking about the two holding midfield roles we tend to have in our 4-2-3-1 formation
Zerforax
Rep:
?
(Original post by mr tim)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn that moved pretty quickly in the end.

(Original post by Lúcio)

I'd see it as Markovic as cover on a flank and then Ings would be 3rd choice cover for up front but minor.

Probably means we won't make any more signings up front or or midfield (since Milner can cover most positions) which gives us 2 for every position and potentially another player who can cover if needed since many are flexible.

The only positions of weakness imo are the fullbacks. I'm happy with Moreno and Clyne but Gomez and Flanagan as cover looks very poor. Flanangan is considering a loan move to Burnley so we must be in for a fullback or two.
Conzy210
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Milner would be in the more forward positions - sorry I was talking about the two holding midfield roles we tend to have in our 4-2-3-1 formation
Be very surprised if Wijnaldum plays a holding role for you. He was shifted backwards a few times last year and was even more ineffective than usual.

Personally think you've just signed another Lallana. He'll be brilliant some games, but utterly infuriating the vast majority of the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Damn that moved pretty quickly in the end.

I'd see it as Markovic as cover on a flank and then Ings would be 3rd choice cover for up front but minor.

Probably means we won't make any more signings up front or or midfield (since Milner can cover most positions) which gives us 2 for every position and potentially another player who can cover if needed since many are flexible.

The only positions of weakness imo are the fullbacks. I'm happy with Moreno and Clyne but Gomez and Flanagan as cover looks very poor. Flanangan is considering a loan move to Burnley so we must be in for a fullback or two.
Yeah perhaps Wijnaldum is more attacking, but we already have enough AMs as it is!!

That being said, we call them "holding" roles in our 4-2-3-1, but you often see Can bursting forward and I'm sure we'll see the same from Grujic.

Clyne is as solid as we're ever gonna get and Moreno is useful in certain games.
A decent back up RB and a LB to compete with Moreno would be very useful.
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Conzy210)
Be very surprised if Wijnaldum plays a holding role for you. He was shifted backwards a few times last year and was even more ineffective than usual.

Personally think you've just signed another Lallana. He'll be brilliant some games, but utterly infuriating the vast majority of the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lallana and Lovren were **** in their first seasons for Liverpool but came good in the end (although jury is still out on whether Lovren can maintain it), can't always write off players after their first season. Wijnaldum played at CM for PSV so maybe Klopp is looking at that. We arn't managed by Steve McClaren anyways .

Wijnaldum can score goals so he isn't just another Lallana and is actually an upgrade in that respect.
Zerforax
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lúcio)
Yeah perhaps Wijnaldum is more attacking, but we already have enough AMs as it is!!

That being said, we call them "holding" roles in our 4-2-3-1, but you often see Can bursting forward and I'm sure we'll see the same from Grujic.

Clyne is as solid as we're ever gonna get and Moreno is useful in certain games.
A decent back up RB and a LB to compete with Moreno would be very useful.
Wijnaldum seems to think his best position is as a number 10 but was happy to play on the flanks for Newcastle.

Asked back in March what Wijnaldum’s best position is, Benitez said: “That is the problem – because he is so good, he can play everywhere and do well.

I can see why we would use him a little deeper than Newcastle - he won't be the deep sitting player in front of the defence but he'll be the pivot which goes forward more often.

"The 25-year-old’s strengths come in his trademark third-man runs, nous when arriving into in the box, and his ability to dribble at pace to turn defence into attack and break through opposing defences.

Crucial within this is his athleticism and deceptive strength on the ball despite his 5’9″ frame, which allows him to manoeuvre and accelerate away from opponents—most notably when cutting inside as he did so often last season when deployed on Newcastle’s left wing."

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/07...dfield-target/

So I could see him being used in a 3 man midfield or if in a midfield 2, I think he'd only play certain games where we don't need as much discipline from him.

Tbh I'd still be tempted to keep Lucas since I'm not 100% the rest of the youngsters know how to truly sit and be a shield.. perhaps a year of his experience might help them develop better?

Flanagan isn't travelling with the squad to USA so makes me think he'll go on loan. He does need games and he won't get any trying to compete with Clyne.

Interestingly:

"The Echo understands that the Reds now insist on a “75 per cent” clause for all of their loaned players, whereby clubs are penalised financially if a player they have loaned does not play in a specified ratio of matches."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-insisting-playing-clause-loan-11641458#rlabs=2%20rt$sitewide%2 0p$1

Makes so much sense!

Assuming Flanagan goes out on loan, who are our fullback cover options? Just Gomez who is currently injured?
Conzy210
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
Lallana and Lovren were **** in their first seasons for Liverpool but came good in the end (although jury is still out on whether Lovren can maintain it), can't always write off players after their first season. Wijnaldum played at CM for PSV so maybe Klopp is looking at that. We arn't managed by Steve McClaren anyways .

Wijnaldum can score goals so he isn't just another Lallana and is actually an upgrade in that respect.
When playing CM in the premier league he couldn't handle the physicality and the pace of the game. He's too thin of a build to play deeper in my opinion.

I hope he comes good though, but it says a lot that when Rafa came in Wijnaldum was dropped because he was playing so poorly. If you can't make it into a side who are being relegated it should raise some concerns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
samir12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Conzy210)
When playing CM in the premier league he couldn't handle the physicality and the pace of the game. He's too thin of a build to play deeper in my opinion.

I hope he comes good though, but it says a lot that when Rafa came in Wijnaldum was dropped because he was playing so poorly. If you can't make it into a side who are being relegated it should raise some concerns.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is usually the case for players coming from outside the PL, Origi had the same problem but there is nothing stopping them from bulking up and adapting. I think Klopp will use him more in the midfield 3 (4-3-3) imo.

Rafa actually rates Wijnaldum and recently spoke highly of him saying he can play anywhere, his bad form was worrying but I'm sure Klopp will give him the kick up the backside, he won't last if he doesn't step up and perform.
Conzy210
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by samir12)
That is usually the case for players coming from outside the PL, Origi had the same problem but there is nothing stopping them from bulking up and adapting. I think Klopp will use him more in the midfield 3 (4-3-3) imo.

Rafa actually rates Wijnaldum and recently spoke highly of him saying he can play anywhere, his bad form was worrying but I'm sure Klopp will give him the kick up the backside, he won't last if he doesn't step up and perform.
He doesn't have the passing ability to play deeper either though, he's good at intricate passes in and around the box, but he couldn't control the tempo of a game.

And yeah I think Rafa did rate him, but it still didn't stop him from dropping Gini and Newcastle being a better team without him.

I think one issue he has is that he can play anywhere but isn't perfectly suited to any role. Last year for us he was tried on the wings, in the number 10 role and deeper but ultimately we had better players for each of those positions, even if Wijnaldum was significantly the most talented. We of course got relegated too, so with your better squad I think he'll turn into a very decent bench option fairly quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.86%
No (582)
60.31%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.83%

Watched Threads