Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Have to say that i think i'm going to miss Cameron as PM a lot. He may have been a bit wet and a bit weak but i think his intentions were always good and though he never understood the plight of the working poor, i think he did try to.

Although i think Osbourne is a good strategist and ideologically my flavour i never thought he was terribly competent and while Cameron i think genuinely wanted to help people, Osbourne was never that warm and i think people found that offputting. I hope he sticks around and enters the cabinet again but i won't miss him terribly.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    Oh how I would love to see Jacob Rees-mogg given a cabinet role.
    Hopefully May will see sense and get rid of Rudd for Mogg

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My thoughts on Boris in Foreign:

I think it's too early to say that he will be bad because he plays the buffoon. What I expect is he will see this as a second chance for leadership when May goes in 2023 or 2024 (at the latest) and what he needs to show is that he can be serious and has foreign policy experience, but at the same time still have his fun side. He will also know that he will be against some of the possible next generation of senior Tories, the likes of Patel, Crabb, and depending on when May goes maybe even some of the 2020 intake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    "Black people? Check. Gays? Check. Women's pay? Check. Uneducated white boys? Check. Theresa May's first speech confirms that the politics of tumblr -- the treatment of society as so many fractious victim groups in need of a therapeutic boost from on high -- now reaches all the way to Downing Street."

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    "Black people? Check. Gays? Check. Women's pay? Check. Uneducated white boys? Check. Theresa May's first speech confirms that the politics of tumblr -- the treatment of society as so many fractious victim groups in need of a therapeutic boost from on high -- now reaches all the way to Downing Street."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's been there a while it is just now clearer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just to let you all be even more confused about polls than you already were.. Ipsos Mori suggests that 55% of people think May will be a good PM, gives Corbyn an approval rating of 24% and still manages to put Labour 5% ahead, 8% higher than ICM had them.

I can only assume it's because Cameron was still around (only 28% approval) or voters really like the idea of Eagle deposing Corbyn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Just to let you all be even more confused about polls than you already were.. Ipsos Mori suggests that 55% of people think May will be a good PM, gives Corbyn an approval rating of 24% and still manages to put Labour 5% ahead, 8% higher than ICM had them.

I can only assume it's because Cameron was still around (only 28% approval) or voters really like the idea of Eagle deposing Corbyn.
    What?! Labour 5% ahead?! Uhm... how???

Just been on the Ipsos Mori site - only thing I can see is part of poll published yesterday on May showing CON +1. Do you have a source?

EDIT: Just read the report. It is indeed Lab +5, but only based on all giving a voting intention (being pushed for one if they intitially reply undecided/wouldn't vote etc) and with no turnout adjustment.

ReputationRep:

I don't think it can be because of Eagle. Labour were averaging a couple points behind the tories before and directly after the referendum, it was only as a result of the actions of Eagle and her buddies that they took a nosedive in the polls. Maybe Corbyn getting confirmed on the ballot had a positive effect, but that was midway through the polling dates so can't be the only explanation.

I think it will be more to do with the tory leadership race. Firstly it could be some leavers being disappointed that a remain candidate won. Secondly, as we saw with Brown, people simply don't like the idea of a PM being anointed without a general election (and especially without there at least being a choice put to the party members). Wherever they think May would be a good PM has little to do with that.

Edit: Looking closer at the numbers, Lib Dems are up at 11% and UKIP down at 8%... it's probably a bad sample and will just be an outlier.

ReputationRep:
    Boris as foreign lol.. Oh dear, unity going too far.
    Think it's more a case of 'you broke it, you fix it'.

By putting three Brexiteers in charge of leaving the EU it is them who will take the blame if it doesn't work out rather than May.

Probably easier to have Boris in rather than let him be a backseat driver.*
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Think it's more a case of 'you broke it, you fix it'.

By putting three Brexiteers in charge of leaving the EU it is them who will take the blame if it doesn't work out rather than May.

Probably easier to have Boris in rather than let him be a backseat driver.*
    Or, when not in the blame the brexiter mode, unity. There is no shielding for May, if it goes wrong that will be her legacy, it won't be laid off onto Boris.

It's also worth noting that Boris will have effectively nothing to do with it, or anything coming from brexit. Fox deals with trade deals, his position will probably last about a decade, and Davis deals with the EU, his position probably only lasting until the next election.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    What?! Labour 5% ahead?! Uhm... how???

Just been on the Ipsos Mori site - only thing I can see is part of poll published yesterday on May showing CON +1. Do you have a source?

EDIT: Just read the report. It is indeed Lab +5, but only based on all giving a voting intention (being pushed for one if they intitially reply undecided/wouldn't vote etc) and with no turnout adjustment.
    Ah. I see that Wiki has now updated to include the right figures and complete the field of blue.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    My thoughts on Boris in Foreign:

I think it's too early to say that he will be bad because he plays the buffoon. What I expect is he will see this as a second chance for leadership when May goes in 2023 or 2024 (at the latest) and what he needs to show is that he can be serious and has foreign policy experience, but at the same time still have his fun side. He will also know that he will be against some of the possible next generation of senior Tories, the likes of Patel, Crabb, and depending on when May goes maybe even some of the 2020 intake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Given that he penned a poem about the Turkish president ****ing a goat, likened the potentially next president of the United States to a "sadistic nurse in a mental hospital", accused the current US president of disliking British legacy because of his part Kenyan ancestry, described Africans as picaninnies with watermelon smiles and compared the EU to a project from Adolf Hitler, I'm rather less sure that he won't make things worse. He might become more sensible now but I would've thought there are plenty of other candidates who don't have so much fencemending to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Given that he penned a poem about the Turkish president ****ing a goat, likened the potentially next president of the United States to a "sadistic nurse in a mental hospital", accused the current US president of disliking British legacy because of his part Kenyan ancestry, described Africans as picaninnies with watermelon smiles and compared the EU to a project from Adolf Hitler, I'm rather less sure that he won't make things worse. He might become more sensible now but I would've thought there are plenty of other candidates who don't have so much fencemending to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Forgot about that poem

Sound like pretty good assessments (the nurse being Clinton or Trump, could be either?), but you're also going to have plenty of people that need to build relationships with a lot of leaders too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gove and Morgan sacked.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Gove and Morgan sacked.
    As is Hunt and Sajid from the sounds of things.

BoE rates decision in 45 minutes. Implied probability of 86.6% that they'll be lowering the rate from 0.5% to 0.25%.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Labour should be even more worried as the cabinet is looking less elite and more normal.

Interesting plays by May.

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Hunt gone.
    Wonder what that means for the Junior Doctors Contract dispute.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Jeremy Hunt gone.
    Wonder what that means for the Junior Doctors Contract dispute.
    I think they'll either play really nice to gain public support or play hardball to show who's in charge.

My guess the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Theresa May has no chill it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I think they'll either play really nice to gain public support or play hardball to show who's in charge.

My guess the latter.
    May seems to be distancing herself, at least verbally from 'cuts cuts cuts' so perhaps we will see the former. Well I hope so anyway.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.