Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Those two Uruguayans cavani and Suarez are also very good at this. Cavani's the best at it in the world atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Manduzik for me, the guy just doesn't stop working. Tevez too.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It's been confirmed that England aren't seeded for the World Cup, so they could end up with Brazil, Spain, Argentina or Germany in their group :lol: Or on the other end of the scale there's Switzerland or Colombia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    He's said he wants to break David Beckham's caps record for an outfield player, England will play a few friendlies before the World Cup which you'd expect him to take part in, so if they make it out of the group stage he would equal (or potentially better) it. That would be the perfect moment to retire.

I'll be amazed if he's still playing international football by Euro 2016.
    Well he needs 9 more to pass Beckham (SG - 107, DB - 115)

I think it's 2 friendlies in November and one more in March? Not sure if there are more in the calendar otherwise. 3 group games at the WC..

You'd probably expect Gerrard, Lampard and A.Cole to all retire after the world cup?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It's been confirmed that England aren't seeded for the World Cup, so they could end up with Brazil, Spain, Argentina or Germany in their group :lol: Or on the other end of the scale there's Switzerland or Colombia.
    You only need to finish top 2 in the group to progress to the knock-outs? In theory you'd get an easy draw in the first knock-out if you finish top of the group but by then you should be playing one of the best 16 teams in the world so there shouldn't be that much difference.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Switzerland being ranked that high is a travesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogwithwings)
    If he had a great all around game he could play other positions at a high level, he can't. His hold up play is not great, and he certainly doesn't have an all around game nearly as good as Welbeck. Sturridge can take players on and he can score a lot of goals, that is where his strength lies. Do not try to make him out as a top level complete forward because that he is not. He is also not a better striker than Rooney, and certainly not even close to as complete of a player as he is and, what I should've added earlier, was that what England should do involves playing with a 3 man midfield (to keep Gerrard out of a 2man midfield where he is a liability imo) and have Rooney playing as the #9.

If he is so good by he is playing at Liverpool rather than a top club?
    :rofl: bar the hold up play thing each point is nonsense :rofl:

Why was cavani at napoli then, why was falcao at atletico/porto, why was mandzukic at wolfsburg, why was gomez at stuttgart/fiorentina? Why is any top level striker who's young or not very known on the world stage at a club who aren't doing so well? :rofl: Not that liverpool have been a piece of ****e since sturridge came, could say he easily is the reason for liverfools current resurgence.

Yeah lets 3 man midfield it, with our terrible wingers and rooney not being as good a no.9 as the top level teams then taking off sturridge, that'll work a charm :rofl: I'm just going to leave it here. Might as well play a 3 man midfield to accomodate gerrard and carrick and make it harder for us to score when we should just play 4-2-3-1 and rooney in the hole. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Manduzik for me, the guy just doesn't stop working. Tevez too.
    Like the way they're both ****s too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Switzerland being ranked that high is a travesty.
    Why? 7 wins, 3 draws in qualifiers, friendly results are generally all good (including beating Brazil & Germany). Their recent record is slightly better than England's, so how can there be any complaints that they are ranked slightly above England?

You only think it's a travesty because they haven't got any star names playing in the Premier League.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else not get that Roy Hodgson monkey joke :confused:

I don't understand the joke, and I don't understand why it's offended anyone, unless someone was offended because its such a terrible joke?

ReputationRep:
    This Hodgson monkey joke reaction is totally over the top by the press. Utterly ridiculous, it was not remotely intended to offend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Vain)
    This Hodgson monkey joke reaction is totally over the top by the press. Utterly ridiculous, it was not remotely intended to offend!
    Agreed, and it makes real racism look even more trivial when nonsense gets reported like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This monkey joke is a non story. If a player was offended by it then they are doing the 'footballers are stupid' stereotype no favours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    This monkey joke is a non story. If a player was offended by it then they are doing the 'footballers are stupid' stereotype no favours.
    Doesn't look like any players were offended, Townsend has publically said that he wasnt. The only people who have been offended by this are white middle class people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Doesn't look like any players were offended, Townsend has publically said that he wasnt. The only people who have been offended by this are white middle class people.
    Apparently one player was offended, but nobody has said who and apparently it's racist to suggest that only Townsend could be offended by the joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameronHayward)
    Why? 7 wins, 3 draws in qualifiers, friendly results are generally all good (including beating Brazil & Germany). Their recent record is slightly better than England's, so how can there be any complaints that they are ranked slightly above England?

You only think it's a travesty because they haven't got any star names playing in the Premier League.
    There group was pretty easy though, I'd say us, Italy, France, Chile, Russia & Portugal are all better teams, & friendlies aren't really that important anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    You only need to finish top 2 in the group to progress to the knock-outs? In theory you'd get an easy draw in the first knock-out if you finish top of the group but by then you should be playing one of the best 16 teams in the world so there shouldn't be that much difference.
    True but it makes things harder, when was the last time England beat a ''top'' team in a major tournament? Can't think of anyone since Argentina in 2002. If they get one of the tough draws from the other pots as well they could be in big trouble - 2010's Portugal, Brazil, Ivory Coast group comes to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Someone in the dressing room must have leaked it?

ReputationRep:
    If you guys wanna fool around a bit with possible World Cup group draws, check out this Japanese site. Quite scary how you can get a group of death with countries like England, Italy, and France all outside of the top 8 seeds. If we got put into a group like this, I'd probably be livid.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CameronHayward)

Where did I even mention England's ranking?

I was merely stating that Switzerland's ranking is a travesty based on their record in major competitions (which is awful) and yet nations like Italy/Holland qualify for every single major tournament.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Where did I even mention England's ranking?

I was merely stating that Switzerland's ranking is a travesty based on their record in major competitions (which is awful) and yet nations like Italy/Holland qualify for every single major tournament.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/fifa-...flawed-2013-10
    Tbf the system isn't the greatest.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.