Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Phobia27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Guys, guys, the title sequence is getting darker every week!

Also lights have been flickering every episode, The Doctor changing the TARDIS bulb in Pond Life, Amy's dressing room light flickering in episode 1, Rory's dad fixing the light bulb in episode 2 and some flickering on the spaceship, and the lampposts sparking in episode 3. A sign the Angels are coming? :eek:
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Didn't love it, didn't hate it...
montstar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Phobia27)
Guys, guys, the title sequence is getting darker every week!

Also lights have been flickering every episode, The Doctor changing the TARDIS bulb in Pond Life, Amy's dressing room light flickering in episode 1, Rory's dad fixing the light bulb in episode 2 and some flickering on the spaceship, and the lampposts sparking in episode 3. A sign the Angels are coming? :eek:
Interesting! You could well be right. Also I never realised how they changed the texture on the Doctor Who title for each episode: dalek-ish, reptile, and gunshot wood. Pretty clever!
getfunky!
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That was an average episode, the story seemed predictable and the ending was ..cheesy. Hope the next couple of episodes are phenomenal, which they must be as
Spoiler:
Show
supposedly rory is leaving in episode 4, and amy will follow suit the next episode

Overall a ..mediocre episode, a few funny moments.
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by **Toria**)
Liked the 1st episode. Not really liked episode 2 and 3. They don't seem to be flowing with each other. Which I guess is the point. But still don't like it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPa
I understand what you mean. I guess the first was better though to draw people in, and obviously because more could be done with the first episode. I wish the newer episodes had more drama in them though. Lately I feel like the writers are running out of ideas and are throwing everything in there!

The first was so clever!
Off_My_Planet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Quite a lot of criticism of the Doctors actions when trying to kill the other doctor. Was I the only one that thought the Doctor kind of had a point; if he just finished a known aggressive species off when he had the chance, it would save a lot of lives and effort on his part... it's not like we don't know they'l be back with a new master plan next season :dontknow:

Besides I'm a sucker for a good bit of melodrama
justanotherposter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Off_My_Planet)
Quite a lot of criticism of the Doctors actions when trying to kill the other doctor. Was I the only one that thought the Doctor kind of had a point; if he just finished a known aggressive species off when he had the chance, it would save a lot of lives and effort on his part... it's not like we don't know they'l be back with a new master plan next season :dontknow:

Besides I'm a sucker for a good bit of melodrama
I think the criticism is more that the Doctor changed his mind so easily because of Amy, something which seems out of character for her, Rory has always been the one that seems more moral and involved with the emotions of people he meets on his journey, yet on this episode he also was happy to let the guy die, whilst Amy for some reason was the one with the morals, I suppose the writers did this because Rory isn't really forceful enough to be able to convince anyone to change their mind, let alone The Doctor, but it still seemed odd and slightly rushed, it would have been nice for The Doctor to have gotten progressively darker rather than the sudden jump from merciful Doctor to killer Doctor and them back to merciful Doctor in a very small space of time.
Off_My_Planet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by justanotherposter)
I think the criticism is more that the Doctor changed his mind so easily because of Amy, something which seems out of character for her, Rory has always been the one that seems more moral and involved with the emotions of people he meets on his journey, yet on this episode he also was happy to let the guy die, whilst Amy for some reason was the one with the morals, I suppose the writers did this because Rory isn't really forceful enough to be able to convince anyone to change their mind, let alone The Doctor, but it still seemed odd and slightly rushed, it would have been nice for The Doctor to have gotten progressively darker rather than the sudden jump from merciful Doctor to killer Doctor and them back to merciful Doctor in a very small space of time.
You definitely have a point there.
I didn't really analyse it like that, but fair enough. I stand by liking the melodrama though
Stiff Little Fingers
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
http://www.bbcshop.com/doctor-who/do...invt/dw4scarf/

£50?! :gasp: Ridiculously expensive
montstar
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Loved the first episode, the second was just plain silly, this episode was... Ok

Apart from the slight copying of Cowboys and Aliens, this had the potential to be a great episode. Toby Whitehouse has done some great episodes before but this didn't quite live up to it.

My main issue was with the way they did the doctor getting darker. I liked it when he got angry, though it could have been a bit more subtle. Then Amy telling off the doctor made no sense and doesn't fit with her character. Whats more he then completely flipped to good doctor again and started lecturing the townspeople. Plus everyone seemed to miss the fact that Isaac died ultimately because of the doctor's rage- none of it would have happened if the doctor hadn't forced jenks out of the town.

It wasn't awful by any means but it could have been done alot better, and has been before (eg the 9th doctor with rose, and the 10th with Donna and the Rachnoss).
Hugs13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thought the first one was my favourite of the Moffat era. Really thought he did a good redemption job in making the Daleks scary again after the awful Victory For The Daleks where they were seen to be like children's toys and not creatures of war and terror. The second episode was good fun in parts but silly in some parts aswell. A Town Called Mercy I enjoyed up to the final quarter. Thought the Frankenstein theme between Kahler Jex and 'The Gunslinger' was the finest aspect of the episode. Cubed has good potential, been a while since there has been an episode in present day Earth and a return for UNIT, RTD used to do about four episodes in present day Earth every series.
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alofleicester)

I could make one of those for about £10-£15. I should go into business.
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alofleicester)

:eek:
Dalek1099
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A Town called Mercy was about an average episode, the 2nd best of theseries and the 17th best story out of 26, for Matt Smith.It had good moments with the Doctor lossing again, he last lost in A Good Man Goes to War and then he sort of lost in Victorey of the Daleks too.

I really liked his dark moment, he is a real serial killer-I was thinking of creating a poster The Doctor wanted latest kill: Solomon, latest attempted kill:Kahler Jex.The adventure didn't really connect together enough and there was action missing though throughout lots of it but it was an average romp.

It was an episode that had you thinking and the Doctor's lack of logic and having too much mercy cost a life-he should have shot him straightaway or handed him over.Is it just me or did the episode have a very Star Trek feel?

I have decided to collect some interesting statistics episode based,on what I thought of the episodes in Matt Smith's Era.Of the 31 episodes of Matt Smith's Era I thought :
19.4% (6/31) were Poor
25.8% (8/31) were Average
12.9% (4/31) were Good
and a clossal 41.9%(13/31) were Excellent and the last Excellent episode was The Girl Who Waited.Excluding the last 7 non-excellent episodes that were after it thats (13/24=54.2%),up to The Girl who Waited.

Series 5(13 episodes):
15.4% (2/13) were Poor
7.7% (1/13) were Ok
15.4% (2/13) were Good
61.5% (8/13) were Excellent

Series 6(13 episodes+A Christmas Carol):
14.3% (2/14) were poor 1st half:14.3% (1/7) 2nd half:16.7% (1/6)
35.7% (5/14) were Ok 1st half:14.3% (1/7) 2nd half: 50.0% (3/6) Christmas Special1/1) 100%
14.3% (2/14) were Good 1st half:14.3%(1/7) 2nd half:16.7% (1/6)
35.7% (5/14) were Excellent 1st half:57.1% (4/7) 2nd half:16.7% (1/6)

Series 7(3 episodes +Christmas Special)
50.0% (2/4) were Poor
50.0% (2/4) were Ok
0.0% (0/4) were Good
0.0% (0/4) were Excellent

This series has been terrible with two Average episodes(Upper Average,Middle Average) and the two worst episodes of Matt Smith's era, the series has been an extreme low average so far but I think The Power of Three and The Angels take Manhattan are going to be good.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I may well miss 'The Power of Three' tonight as it's my flat mates birthday tomorrow so will be celebrating tonight.

Darn.
georgiaaaxo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
really looking forward to tonight's episode! if the trailer is anything to go by it looks promising
mark_otbc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It certainly looks more promising than the last two episodes, anyway.

I can't help but think that, without an over-riding story arc, the episodes seem a little 'lost' and the writers don't really know what to do - the first episode was fantastic, I agree, but the past two have been a bit 'meh'. I can't even explain why, but I just didn't like ATTM. It seemed all over the place, with no real storyline - why couldn't the Gunslinger cross the border into the town?

It just all seemed a bit all over the place to me. Holding out hope that the following two episodes will redeem this 'mini-series' though - hopefully building up to a big finale!
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mark_otbc)
It certainly looks more promising than the last two episodes, anyway.

I can't help but think that, without an over-riding story arc, the episodes seem a little 'lost' and the writers don't really know what to do - the first episode was fantastic, I agree, but the past two have been a bit 'meh'. I can't even explain why, but I just didn't like ATTM. It seemed all over the place, with no real storyline - why couldn't the Gunslinger cross the border into the town?

It just all seemed a bit all over the place to me. Holding out hope that the following two episodes will redeem this 'mini-series' though - hopefully building up to a big finale!
He could. He did if you remember, however he didn't want to hurt any innocents unless it was completely neccesary so was waiting for Jex to come out.
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have very high hopes for this episode, an episode in modern day Earth at last.
Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
the Doctor hasn't seen Jack, Martha etc for 200 years..
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads