Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Ofcourse, Benzema or Sanchez from real or barca respectively should almost definately be expected. But Benzema or Sanchez ain't no Suarez

Suarez is easily the best striker in the world at the moment & loosing him would be a huge blow, regardless of whoever replaces him.
    Sanchez and 30+ mil for Liverpool would be as good a deal as they could get.

World class player out, younger world class player in, arguably even more suited to a Brendan Rodgers team (quicker than Suarez, will fit more naturally into the 4-3-3), and 30m to spend on another attacking talent (though it's not as if Liverpool need money).

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of us getting Balotelli?

I think he's lazy, undisciplined, poor movement, poor build up play, no determination, not necessarily a 'clutch' player, and he's not physically imposing either - neither super strong (although I guess you'd say strong enough) nor super quick (like Suarez, he could probably manage off it, but it's not a big positive). His time was City was poor too.

He's not even a completely clinical goalscorer. His only positives are that he's good with set pieces and long range shots, and he's a decent finisher.

I think he's a massively overrated player and not value for money at £30m for us, although definitely better than nothing (not much better than Remy, apart from being a statement of intent).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    Haha touché

Except you forgot one thing.

Lambert is our 3rd/4th striker, who has shown quality at the top level of both club and international levels.

Campbell played one good match against Uruguay and now arsenal fans are orgasming over the notion of him as your first striker...

You've taken it the wrong way. Campbell is just merely a prospect for the future but we're talking about how he might become our 3rd striker or even 4th (sanogo) at this rate for next season.

He had a pretty good game vs Uruguay but he also scored vs UTD in the CL

Still though, several including me criticised him after that Italy game.
    He's also 21 where Lambert is 32 isn't he? Not really the best two players to compare haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Why does he need another loan? I know the thinking begin this is that he supposedly needs PL experience but if so then all our foreign signing would need to be sent on loan surely. He's already had 3 seasons on loan already and he's going to be 22 soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I thought it was only Chelsea who loaned out players forever, 'abusing' the loan system. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Tennant)
    What do you think of us getting Balotelli?

I think he's lazy, undisciplined, poor movement, poor build up play, no determination, not necessarily a 'clutch' player, and he's not physically imposing either - neither super strong (although I guess you'd say strong enough) nor super quick (like Suarez, he could probably manage off it, but it's not a big positive). His time was City was poor too.

He's not even a completely clinical goalscorer. His only positives are that he's good with set pieces and long range shots, and he's a decent finisher.

I think he's a massively overrated player and not value for money at £30m for us, although definitely better than nothing (not much better than Remy, apart from being a statement of intent).
    I hate reading posts like this, are you forgetting we have Giroud and Sanogo as our strikers. He's miles ahead of them, I don't even think he's as bad as he used to be. Even Prandelli said he's calmed down a lot compared to how he was in Man City. He scored 20 in 54 which isn't bad, that's decent. I can't even believe some of our fans are debating whether we should get Balo or not, and then if we don't sign him people will start complaining.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Ofcourse, Benzema or Sanchez from real or barca respectively should almost definately be expected. But Benzema or Sanchez ain't no Suarez

Suarez is easily the best striker in the world at the moment & loosing him would be a huge blow, regardless of whoever replaces him.
    obviously - suarez right now is in the top 3 most valuable players in the world.
    losing him would be awful for us, but nothing us fans can do; we can only hope we get a good deal for him.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    Who's going to want to play for Liverpool when their best player is going the other way lol. If Suarez leaves Liverpool you won't make champion league although Liverpool are the type of team who could easily win it during the same season
    so what you're saying is that we won't make the champions league next year but we'll still win it?:lolwut:

(Original post by AR_95)
    You've taken it the wrong way. Campbell is just merely a prospect for the future but we're talking about how he might become our 3rd striker or even 4th (sanogo) at this rate for next season.

He had a pretty good game vs Uruguay but he also scored vs UTD in the CL

Still though, several including me criticised him after that Italy game.
    He's also 21 where Lambert is 32 isn't he? Not really the best two players to compare haha
    campbell is miles better than sanogo; i can say that after only seeing him play twice...

yeah true, difficult comparison.
    i get a little touchy when people criticise lambert and make out that he's some useless striker that couldn't score to save his life.
    for a 31 year old, he's an excellent attacker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    so what you're saying is that we won't make the champions league next year but we'll still win it?:lolwut:

Obviously I mean't I make top four but still win the Champions league. You knew what I meant so why ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    I hate reading posts like this, are you forgetting we have Giroud and Sanogo as our strikers. He's miles ahead of them, I don't even think he's as bad as he used to be. Even Prandelli said he's calmed down a lot compared to how he was in Man City. He scored 20 in 54 which isn't bad, that's decent. I can't even believe some of our fans are debating whether we should get Balo or not, and then if we don't sign him people will start complaining.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As an Arsenal fan you'd hope that Wenger can secure a better target before moving onto Balo. If with x weeks to go, we've realised that there's no hope of signing anyone better or anyone with the potential to be better in the near future, then I guess I'd approve of the Balotelli signing. I wouldn't make him the first choice target though. We have plenty of money, lets throw some at Falcao (who's being offered around) or Cavani (who's upset at his current club) or Mandzukic (who's on his way out) or Benzema, if Suarez moves to Madrid. I'm not suggesting Falcao or Cavani are realistic, just that we have the financial power, CL football, and it should be a case of 'why not?' for players when approached by Arsenal. It would be a travesty if they weren't approached at all though.

My issue is with Balotelli on the pitch though - he's good but is he great? I don't think so. Can Wenger make him great? Maybe. But Mancini was his dad basically and that never worked out.

This is leaving aside the fact that he'd turn us into a laughing stock off the pitch with his constant 'funny' antics. Do we need another (hypercharged) Frimpong running around, mouthing off and in Balo's case, making the headlines? If he could light up a dreary place like Manchester who knows what fun he'll have in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Obviously I mean't I make top four but still win the Champions league. You knew what I meant so why ask
    i knew exactly what you meant, i'm just questionning the logic.

we are way, way, wayyyyy more likely to make top 4 next year than to win the champions league.
    that is just common sense.

we haven't been in the CL for several years; we aren't used to the extra games and the higher quality.
    winning it next season would perobably be the most ridiculous cup run in football history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Tennant)
    As an Arsenal fan you'd hope that Wenger can secure a better target before moving onto Balo. If with x weeks to go, we've realised that there's no hope of signing anyone better or anyone with the potential to be better in the near future, then I guess I'd approve of the Balotelli signing. I wouldn't make him the first choice target though. We have plenty of money, lets throw some at Falcao (who's being offered around) or Cavani (who's upset at his current club) or Mandzukic (who's on his way out) or Benzema, if Suarez moves to Madrid. I'm not suggesting Falcao or Cavani are realistic, just that we have the financial power, CL football, and it should be a case of 'why not?' for players when approached by Arsenal. It would be a travesty if they weren't approached at all though.

My issue is with Balotelli on the pitch though - he's good but is he great? I don't think so. Can Wenger make him great? Maybe. But Mancini was his dad basically and that never worked out.

This is leaving aside the fact that he'd turn us into a laughing stock off the pitch with his constant 'funny' antics. Do we need another (hypercharged) Frimpong running around, mouthing off and in Balo's case, making the headlines? If he could light up a dreary place like Manchester who knows what fun he'll have in London.
    A lot of things need to be addressed here..

Firstly, Manzukic is not a better option than balo, he'll just be a slight upgrade on giroud and will offer us nothing more than what giroud does. Having Giroud & Manzukic would be plain silly. Balo is the type if striker that would offer something different. We lack pace & power upfront and balo will most definately provide that for us.

Also, with balo, we all know that when he's in the right frame of mind he's near unstoppable.. And at 23 £30m is a bargain. Yeah he'll come with a package but I seriously think he just needs longer to mature than other players would- and to be fair, without being bias I see Wenger as more than capable of nurturing his personality into one that would supplement his progression.

Benzema would be ideal but real are not letting him go unless they get Suarez, and Liverpool will not let Suarez go without putting up a fight so we can't rest our hopes on that deal happening, by which time Mario may already be taken? Then we'll be left with Remy or bony to help giroud Campbell and sonogo.. Which isn't really a strike force that'll make you win a league.

With Falcao and Cavani, their asking price would be ridiculous considering they both signed long term contracts just a year ago after being bought for a lot of money, and if we splash say £60-70m on them, how will we fund for CDM, RB, GK and LW?

I think people are under the wrong impression that we have infinite funds, when not all of it will be available to Wenger.. Maybe £80-90m tops? If we splash almost all of that on one striker it won't really be a progression now would it.

Our strike force was not responsible for our hammering by the top 3, so other positions need as much attention as the striking position does. If we are to wait for real to offload someone, maybe it could be Di Maria? A more luxury player that we shouldn't mind waiting till the last day of the transfer window for?

Finally, Suarez's temperamental issues mimic that of Balo's, and look.. Suarez came around too right?

Trust me, I reckon Balo would be a real good move if we can get the right signings in other positions too..

Balo

Di Maria Ozil Walcott

Ramsey new CDM

That would be a madness, all with cazorla, Wilshere, Ox & giroud for rotation and/or game changing substitutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Balotelli miles better than giroud. Yep.

ReputationRep:
    mandzukic would be a fantastic buy, massive upgrade on giroud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    mandzukic would be a fantastic buy, massive upgrade on giroud.
    Spot on, very underrated player is Mandzukic.

He has better 1v1 finishing, has a much better workrate, shows more aggression(Mandzukic is a proper proper hardman in all honesty) and has a better big game mentality than Giroud as well. Most importantly, having both would mean we wouldnt have to play our striker until exhaustion like Giroud last season(when he was fantastic until Xmas, esp in the CL)

With strikers like these, you just need world class wingers to compensate for the lack of flair really, Bayern did that brilliantly and we could too with a good signing at LW. Sky Deutschland say Woflsburg are set to resign him though unfortunately.

Balotelli is unlikely and then who are we left with? We'll all be crying our for Mandzukic by August once that penny drops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    A lot of things need to be addressed here..

Firstly, Manzukic is not a better option than balo, he'll just be a slight upgrade on giroud and will offer us nothing more than what giroud does. Having Giroud & Manzukic would be plain silly. Balo is the type if striker that would offer something different. We lack pace & power upfront and balo will most definately provide that for us.

Also, with balo, we all know that when he's in the right frame of mind he's near unstoppable.. And at 23 £30m is a bargain. Yeah he'll come with a package but I seriously think he just needs longer to mature than other players would- and to be fair, without being bias I see Wenger as more than capable of nurturing his personality into one that would supplement his progression.

Benzema would be ideal but real are not letting him go unless they get Suarez, and Liverpool will not let Suarez go without putting up a fight so we can't rest our hopes on that deal happening, by which time Mario may already be taken? Then we'll be left with Remy or bony to help giroud Campbell and sonogo.. Which isn't really a strike force that'll make you win a league.

With Falcao and Cavani, their asking price would be ridiculous considering they both signed long term contracts just a year ago after being bought for a lot of money, and if we splash say £60-70m on them, how will we fund for CDM, RB, GK and LW?

I think people are under the wrong impression that we have infinite funds, when not all of it will be available to Wenger.. Maybe £80-90m tops? If we splash almost all of that on one striker it won't really be a progression now would it.

Our strike force was not responsible for our hammering by the top 3, so other positions need as much attention as the striking position does. If we are to wait for real to offload someone, maybe it could be Di Maria? A more luxury player that we shouldn't mind waiting till the last day of the transfer window for?

Finally, Suarez's temperamental issues mimic that of Balo's, and look.. Suarez came around too right?

Trust me, I reckon Balo would be a real good move if we can get the right signings in other positions too..

Balo

Di Maria Ozil Walcott

Ramsey new CDM

That would be a madness, all with cazorla, Wilshere, Ox & giroud for rotation and/or game changing substitutes
    Balotelli and Suarez issues are nothing alike.

Unstoppable? He's never had a great season in his life.

He's just a liability every club he's at are always happy to get rid of him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    Balotelli and Suarez issues are nothing alike.

Unstoppable? He's never had a great season in his life.

He's just a liability every club he's at are always happy to get rid of him
    Yes, their issues arnt alike but both get temperamental & suffer from natural immaturity. So in that sense, I meant that like in Suarez's case.. There can be light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, it's fair to say he's been inconsistent but we have seen his talents & he can be unstoppable. He hasn't had a season to prove this, but nor did Suarez until recently? Balo is 23 and there is room for improvement both mentally and physically.

Yeah it's been the case thus far, but I think he'll mature sooner or later. I said earlier that some people just require more time to mature.. And when he does I think we both agree he'll be proper world class.

Being the main man for Italy & Milan, and having played at Manchester city were he did get played a lot.. I don't think anyone can argue against his talents - especially because he's only 23

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho and Mancini couldn't deal with Balotelli so I doubt many others will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Yes, their issues arnt alike but both get temperamental & suffer from natural immaturity. So in that sense, I meant that like in Suarez's case.. There can be light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, it's fair to say he's been inconsistent but we have seen his talents & he can be unstoppable. He hasn't had a season to prove this, but nor did Suarez until recently? Balo is 23 and there is room for improvement both mentally and physically.

Yeah it's been the case thus far, but I think he'll mature sooner or later. I said earlier that some people just require more time to mature.. And when he does I think we both agree he'll be proper world class.

Being the main man for Italy & Milan, and having played at Manchester city were he did get played a lot.. I don't think anyone can argue against his talents - especially because he's only 23
    Suarez issues are getting caught up in the heat of the moment through passion

Balotelli just has an awful attitude and awful work rate and discipline issues on and off the field.

He's nowhere near talented enough for the baggage he brings he's his time at Milan to prove himself and got 14 league goals this season. 4 penalties of which were penalties. what an upgrade over giroud that is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Mourinho and Mancini couldn't deal with Balotelli so I doubt many others will.
    I would think Wenger has better man management skills than either tbh, especially Mancini.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    Suarez issues are getting caught up in the heat of the moment through passion

Balotelli just has an awful attitude and awful work rate and discipline issues on and off the field.

He's nowhere near talented enough for the baggage he brings he's his time at Milan to prove himself and got 14 league goals this season. 4 penalties of which were penalties. what an upgrade over giroud that is
    Balotelli got 14 in 30, Giroud got 16 in 36. So Balo has a better record in a worse team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Spot on, very underrated player is Mandzukic.

He has better 1v1 finishing, has a much better workrate, shows more aggression(Mandzukic is a proper proper hardman in all honesty) and has a better big game mentality than Giroud as well. Most importantly, having both would mean we wouldnt have to play our striker until exhaustion like Giroud last season(when he was fantastic until Xmas, esp in the CL)

With strikers like these, you just need world class wingers to compensate for the lack of flair really, Bayern did that brilliantly and we could too with a good signing at LW. Sky Deutschland say Woflsburg are set to resign him though unfortunately.

Balotelli is unlikely and then who are we left with? We'll all be crying our for Mandzukic by August once that penny drops.
    The only time he hasn't performed this season is the CL really, but the whole team didnt really match expectations there. I think he will make up for it in the WC but we'll see. Can see Giroud doing a madness with this France squad too, We might have a proper selection dilemma up front next season. Whens the the last time we had one of those?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.