Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    He doesn't have the passing ability to play deeper either though, he's good at intricate passes in and around the box, but he couldn't control the tempo of a game.

And yeah I think Rafa did rate him, but it still didn't stop him from dropping Gini and Newcastle being a better team without him.

I think one issue he has is that he can play anywhere but isn't perfectly suited to any role. Last year for us he was tried on the wings, in the number 10 role and deeper but ultimately we had better players for each of those positions, even if Wijnaldum was significantly the most talented. We of course got relegated too, so with your better squad I think he'll turn into a very decent bench option fairly quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dropped from? The stats show that he played in all 38 premier league games and played 3163/3420 minutes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    He doesn't have the passing ability to play deeper either though, he's good at intricate passes in and around the box, but he couldn't control the tempo of a game.

And yeah I think Rafa did rate him, but it still didn't stop him from dropping Gini and Newcastle being a better team without him.

I think one issue he has is that he can play anywhere but isn't perfectly suited to any role. Last year for us he was tried on the wings, in the number 10 role and deeper but ultimately we had better players for each of those positions, even if Wijnaldum was significantly the most talented. We of course got relegated too, so with your better squad I think he'll turn into a very decent bench option fairly quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    CM is our weakest area so he does have an opportunity to break into the start XI considering he can offer goals where as our current CM's can't. We will see how Klopp fits him in.

ReputationRep:
    Borussia Dortmund have re-signed forward Mario Gotze on a four-year deal, subject to a medical.

Gotze, 24, made 83 Bundesliga appearances for Dortmund before joining Bayern Munich in 2013.

The size of the deal is unknown, although reports have suggested it is in the region of £20m.

"I have since his departure in 2013, always hoped that he will one day return to us," Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke told the club website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36853799

At least we won't have that saga for the rest of the summer then..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Milner would be in the more forward positions - sorry I was talking about the two holding midfield roles we tend to have in our 4-2-3-1 formation
    Milner can play CM too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    £25m seems like a lot of money for a guy you wouldn't imagine to be a nailed on starter for us in general.

That being said, Klopp doesn't make signings for no reason and if he's prepared to spend this kind of money on Wijnaldum, we should all reserve judgement until we've seen him play a few games for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    £25m seems like a lot of money for a guy you wouldn't imagine to be a nailed on starter for us in general.

That being said, Klopp doesn't make signings for no reason and if he's prepared to spend this kind of money on Wijnaldum, we should all reserve judgement until we've seen him play a few games for us.
    Well Jordan Ibe did go for £15m and Newcastle bought Wijnaldum for around the same price last season so it doesn't make the £25m seem as bad although it is still high, the market is just ridiculously inflated now.

ReputationRep:
    £25m is fine. There are some on social media comparing it to Gotze or Allen fees- they are in the last year of their contract.

If Wijnaldum was still captain of PSV some of the moaners would have no problem; it's just the English league stereotypical signing snobbery. He was class of PSV, stood out in an abysmal Newcastle team.

If Klopp sees him in a midfield 2, then Henderson is in trouble especially with how Grujic has been (I know it's only preseason but it's pretty obvious who's the better finisher).

There are 3 options I think. A 4-2-3-1 with Wijnaldum partnering Can, a 4-2-3-1 with Wijnaldum in an attacking trio with Coutinho, Firmino or Mane (beginning of the end for Lallana hopefully), or a 4-3-3 with Wijnaldum in the midfield trio with Can and, hopefully, Grujic rather than Henderson.

Anyway, has anyone seen this? Apparently the Liverpool hotel requirements. https://twitter.com/Sports_Hangout/s...60915830149120

"Please ensure Henderson and Lallana have bedrooms next to each other." I cannot stand either of them let alone one being our CAPTAIN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samiz)
    Anyway, has anyone seen this? Apparently the Liverpool hotel requirements. https://twitter.com/Sports_Hangout/s...60915830149120

"Please ensure Henderson and Lallana have bedrooms next to each other." I cannot stand either of them let alone one being our CAPTAIN.
    Haha hilarious - I wonder why they need a room next to each other?

ReputationRep:
    LOL at the poster on the previous page who put Moreno ahead of Gomez? Remember how he lost you the Europa League, whilst Gomez was looking really good until his injury. Also, Gomez can play anywhere across the back line.

Also, just LOL if you think you're going to beat ManGOATer United this season. Enjoy seeing this line up tearing you lads a new one:

De Gea
    Darmian Smalling Bailly Shaw
    Pogba Schweinsteiger
    Rashford Mikhitaryan Martial
    Ibrahimovic

ReputationRep:
    No ambition from Liverpool. Its like you want to solidify your position as a mid-level club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    LOL at the poster on the previous page who put Moreno ahead of Gomez? Remember how he lost you the Europa League, whilst Gomez was looking really good until his injury. Also, Gomez can play anywhere across the back line.

Also, just LOL if you think you're going to beat ManGOATer United this season. Enjoy seeing this line up tearing you lads a new one:

De Gea
    Pogba Schweinsteiger
    Ibrahimovic
    He made two goal conceding mistakes against West Ham and United prior to his injury, we can't assume that he would of defensively been better than Moreno considering his inexperience.

ReputationRep:

De Gea
    Pogba Schweinsteiger
    Ibrahimovic
    What is it with people over-rating youngsters/people who haven't played for ages. Joe Gomez played for a total of 7 games for us. When did he suddenly become a world beater? Moreno played 50 games for us last season. There's going to be a few mistakes.

I'll be honest, that Man Utd doesn't scare me.

(Original post by Rk2k14)
    No ambition from Liverpool. Its like you want to solidify your position as a mid-level club.
    Come back when you've signed someone more interesting than a Japanese nobody recently.

ReputationRep:
    ManGOATer United? **** me how cringeworthy can you get? :rofl:

ReputationRep:

De Gea
    Pogba Schweinsteiger
    Ibrahimovic
    Good keeper, overrated 100 million man, you got a snail in midfield. You're defence is gonna be as exposed as Kim Kardashian...

Scary line up? Not at all :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    ManGOATer United? **** me how cringeworthy can you get? :rofl:
    It's a joke

(Original post by TheLittlestElf)
    Good keeper, overrated 100 million man, you got a snail in midfield. You're defence is gonna be as exposed as Kim Kardashian...

Scary line up? Not at all :lol:
    Not scary? Maybe I didn't highlight this part enough:

Ibrahimoviv

Which leaves a player as good as Mata on the bench. Meanwhile on your bench Milner and Ings rack up 80K a week.

ReputationRep:
    It's a joke

Ibrahimoviv

Which leaves a player as good as Mata on the bench. Meanwhile on your bench Milner and Ings rack up 80K a week.
    I agree Martial is exceptional but Rashford is a relatively unproven youngster.
    Ibra is old and could just be another Falcao, and Mkhitaryan could struggle to adapt to the BPL like Di Maria did for instance.

On the face of it, you have a great first team and with Mourinho you have a good chance of winning the league.
    However it can be dangerous to overestimate when you have both new players AND a new manager.

ReputationRep:
    It's a joke

Ibrahimoviv

Football isn't played on paper. Mikhitaryan did he best work with Aubameyang in front who has pace. Ibra is not going to offer that. Let's not also forget that Dortmund have Reus - as good as Martial's/Rashford's potential is, they ain't Reus yet.

That Mata who Mourinho was desperate to sell?

Milner and Ings were signed on frees. Lallana is most likely to be on the bench who isn't a million miles off Mata.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about Wijnaldum - Klopp said he wanted a controller previously but no one in our current squad is really that type of player (he doesn't favour Allen). I wonder if the intention is to go back for Dahoud next summer and then Wijnaldum will do a job for us this season in midfield if needed (but with our lesser games, maybe he thinks Can/Henderson can play the majority) and then Wijnaldum is the longer term replacement for Milner - a squad player who can cover almost every position?

Although Milner does look after himself very well so he's easily got a few more years at Liverpool if he wants so maybe I'm jumping the gun..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Alex Mannaiger signed, one year deal.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Alex Mannaiger signed, one year deal.
    I don't see why though, unless he wants to sell Mignolet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.