Just skimmed to the ad him tbh :rofl:
    Ad him :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Ad him :lol:
    Strong edit of my post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Nah I'm using all midfield players because of the various formations you could play.

I could say they could play 4-3-3 in which case you'd perhaps need another winger, but that would mean Xhaka/Coquelin and Cazorla/Ramsey would be benched and both are good enough for the first team.

I could say they could play 4-2-3-1 in which case Ramsey and Cazorla would be benched who are good enough for the first team.

I'm not saying Mahrez wouldn't be a good signing, I'm saying that maybe they should sort out their CB and ST options first...

Don't even try to argue that they have good CBs and is it at all possible for you to have a discussion without sounding like an arrogant *****?
    Is Koscielny not a good CB?
    Gabriel has been in the league for one season, probably doesn't fully understand English and remember how **** Koscielny used to be until the 12/13 season?

At CB some players take a longer time to adapt than others(partially due to language barrier and the constant communication that comes with the role and playing in different systems), that's why Jerome Boateng was sold by Manchester City, that's why Smalling almost went from being sold to being a solid CB for United. Heck Otamendi has been underwhelming but he's clearly got quality, are you going to say that besides Kompany City have no good CBs too?

Why the hell do you even need to spend £40m on Mahrez here?
    Yes the guy was performing at a world class level last season but that was in a Leicester side and that was simply one season of football.
    The quote here clearly implies that you think that Mahrez is not needed at that price, therefore you must think it's not a good signing.

4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 both utilise wingers/wide players as well so I don't get why one formation needs a winger and another one doesn't.

Also in good sides who win things on a regular basis good players are benched, James Rodriguez was on the bench last season with Isco, Gotze moved to BVB because he was benched, Rafinha/Vidal/Mathieu and Turan are benched for Barcelona.

ReputationRep:
    Gabriel has been in the league for one season, probably doesn't fully understand English and remember how **** Koscielny used to be until the 12/13 season?

The quote here clearly implies that you think that Mahrez is not needed at that price, therefore you must think it's not a good signing.

4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 both utilise wingers/wide players as well so I don't get why one formation needs a winger and another one doesn't.

Also in good sides who win things on a regular basis good players are benched, James Rodriguez was on the bench last season with Isco, Gotze moved to BVB because he was benched, Rafinha/Vidal/Mathieu and Turan are benched for Barcelona.
    Nah Koscielny is good - not world class but solid.
    It's just that Arsenal don't have a decent CB partner for him.

True I agree that CBs can vastly improve - Smalling, Sakho and even Lovren have taken major steps in just a few years.
    However right now, Gabriel and Mertesacker just aren't at the quality of the players around them. That could change of course, but can Arsenal afford to take that risk?

Nah, Mahrez is a good signing for any team, but with how little Arsenal tend to spend, you would imagine a 40m signing to be pretty much all they're gonna do in the remainder of the window. 40m might not go very far for a top striker, but it'd get you virtually any CB in the world.

4-2-3-1 can be used either with wingers or with CAMs (depending on how much width you want your team to have).
    Liverpool for instance essentially use 3 CAMs, but the addition of Mané means we can perhaps use wide players instead.
    In a 4-2-3-1 you would imagine the attacking trio to be Sanchez, Ozil and Ramsey. If Arsenal bring in another player, one of those is gonna be benched regardless.

You say it like Arsenal are a "good side who win things on a regular basis"...
    Inb4 FA Cup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zayn is Bae)
    Strong edit of my post
    Na bro, stop being salty because the times of the edits show you are in the wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Spends 30m+ on Mane
    Questions 40m for Mahrez

Logic

ReputationRep:

At CB some players take a longer time to adapt than others(partially due to language barrier and the constant communication that comes with the role and playing in different systems), that's why Jerome Boateng was sold by Manchester City, that's why Smalling almost went from being sold to being a solid CB for United. Heck Otamendi has been underwhelming but he's clearly got quality, are you going to say that besides Kompany City have no good CBs too?
    Couldn't agree more with this. CB's often take longer to adapt to new clubs and especially so at Arsenal. Our defenders in general take a good 18 months to come good. Mert Kosc Vermalen Monreal all were awful in their first 18 months. Gabriel has been woth us for 18 months now. This is a defining season for him and I think he'll have a breakthrough season personally.
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Not world class? Lol. Enough internet for you today Luke. As all those ***** on twitter say, you should just "take the L" and move on pal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    It's just that Arsenal don't have a decent CB partner for him.

True I agree that CBs can vastly improve - Smalling, Sakho and even Lovren have taken major steps in just a few years.
    However right now, Gabriel and Mertesacker just aren't at the quality of the players around them. That could change of course, but can Arsenal afford to take that risk?

Nah, Mahrez is a good signing for any team, but with how little Arsenal tend to spend, you would imagine a 40m signing to be pretty much all they're gonna do in the remainder of the window. 40m might not go very far for a top striker, but it'd get you virtually any CB in the world.

4-2-3-1 can be used either with wingers or with CAMs (depending on how much width you want your team to have).
    Liverpool for instance essentially use 3 CAMs, but the addition of Mané means we can perhaps use wide players instead.
    In a 4-2-3-1 you would imagine the attacking trio to be Sanchez, Ozil and Ramsey. If Arsenal bring in another player, one of those is gonna be benched regardless.

You say it like Arsenal are a "good side who win things on a regular basis"...
    Inb4 FA Cup
    Your post is full of crap and your logic is easily deconstructed so read your post again and wonder how I'm going to respond, also read it to understand where you went wrong and stop posting for the day because each post you make on this is really starting to piss me off.

I'll start it off anyway, you can buy more than one player in the market and no Arsenal fan really wants to see Ramsey playing at RW for pretty obvious reasons, because of the fact he's not a wide playerand played his best football in the centre.

Finally Arsenal want to be a side that wins things regularly yet you make a slight about them having midfield depth(which top sides who win things need to have)?

Ciao Luke, clearly your brain has been sun burnt too. Absolute LOGICKZZ from you today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Spends 30m+ on Mane
    Questions 40m for Mahrez

Logic
    Insert really ***** vine.

ReputationRep:
    Your post is full of crap and your logic is easily deconstructed so read your post again and wonder how I'm going to respond, also read it to understand where you went wrong and stop posting for the day because each post you make on this is really starting to piss me off.

I'll start it off anyway, you can buy more than one player in the market and no Arsenal fan really wants to see Ramsey playing at RW for pretty obvious reasons, because of the fact he's not a wide playerand played his best football in the centre.

Finally Arsenal want to be a side that wins things regularly yet you make a slight about them having midfield depth(which top sides who win things need to have)?

Ciao Luke, clearly your brain has been sun burnt too. Absolute LOGICKZZ from you today.
    Firstly, if somebody posting about a team can piss you off this much, you better sort out your emotional stability pal

Secondly, I never said Ramsey would play out wide you absolute mong. You insinuated that 4-2-3-1 is a formation that only uses wingers and I used Liverpool to show it isn't. Are Lallana and Coutinho wingers?

My point is that Arsenal have an abundance of quality midfield players, therefore if they buy Mahrez, somebody of high quality will end up benched.
    I'm not questioning Mahrez's quality, I'm questioning Arsenal's immediate need for him.

Fair enough if you disagree but if you're gonna hurl insults at people because they don't agree with your godly opinion, you're gonna get them back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Spends 30m+ on Mane
    Questions 40m for Mahrez

Logic
    It's what both players are worth ultimately I'd say - and based on this what most of us think!

Looking at it statistically, Mahrez has similar output to Mane over a two season period, while over the past two seasons, Mane is probably top 5 midfielders in the league in terms of output for goals/assists. Mahrez is a year older, but based on last season has a higher potential.

Rare to see midfielders score 10+ two seasons in a row, especially when you don't complete over 2600 minutes in either season.

ReputationRep:
    Just love having Elneny in the team, he's got to be my favourite player. Guys just a beast.

ReputationRep:
    ^Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Elneny.

Yet another midfielder to add to the list at Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    ^Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Elneny.

Yet another midfielder to add to the list at Arsenal.
    Your argument for why we shouldn't buy a winger is about the equivalent of saying we shouldn't sign a cb because we have Monreal and Bellerin. How does having El Neny have any impact on whether we should sign Mahrez? Bruh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Your argument for why we shouldn't buy a winger is about the equivalent of saying we shouldn't sign a cb because we have Monreal and Bellerin. How does having El Neny have any impact on whether we should sign Mahrez? Bruh.
    Because of formations.

You're always gonna play 4 at the back, but in midfield you could vary between playing 1 and 2 CDM/CMs. As a result, having midfielders of any position could affect the need of buying another.
    Obviously it varies on what your main formation will be.

In my opinion, your ideal set-up is a 4-2-3-1.
    Giroud up top behind Ozil, Sanchez and Ramsey, with Xhaka and Coquelin protecting the defence.

Let's be honest here, is you have a midfield set-up like that, wouldn't you say your best bet is to spend your money on improving CB or striking options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Firstly, if somebody posting about a team can piss you off this much, you better sort out your emotional stability pal

Secondly, I never said Ramsey would play out wide you absolute mong. You insinuated that 4-2-3-1 is a formation that only uses wingers and I used Liverpool to show it isn't. Are Lallana and Coutinho wingers?
    Tell me a team that use 4-2-3-1 with AMs on the wing that regularly wins things?

Using Loserpool as premise for an argument with 4-2-3-1 is ridiculous. I have also spoken about Liverpool's glaring need for a winger anyway so I don't see what Liverpool have to do with this point, in fact it probably strengthens my argument.

My point is that Arsenal have an abundance of quality midfield players, therefore if they buy Mahrez, somebody of high quality will end up benched.
    I'm not questioning Mahrez's quality, I'm questioning Arsenal's immediate need for him.

Stop being a tool jam - fair enough if you disagree but if you're gonna hurl insults at people because they don't agree with your godly opinion, you're gonna get them back.
    They have an immediate need for him because their RW's are ****. Yes a striker is needed and possibly a CB(although I don't think that's too much of a problem for reasons I've already stated) but have you not thought of the possibility that you can buy a striker and a RW in the same window?

Whether Wenger will do that is another issue but they need an RW badly.

Also in top teams good players get benched. Chelsea benched Kevin De Bruyne, Filipe Luis, Schurrle and Juan Mata, Man City benched Boateng, Real bench Isco and Rodriguez, Barcelona will be benching two of Andre Gomes/Arda Turan/Rakitic or Iniesta and Bayern benched Mario Gotze.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me a team that use 4-2-3-1 with AMs on the wing that regularly wins things?

Using Loserpool as premise for an argument with 4-2-3-1 is ridiculous.

They have an immediate need for him because their RW's are ****. Yes a striker is needed and possibly a CB(although I don't think that's too much of a problem for reasons I've already stated) but have you not thought of the possibility that you can buy a striker and a RW in the same window?

Whether Wenger will do that is another issue but they need an RW badly.
    Why are you saying that the only way you can play in a 4-2-3-1 is by having wingers?

If your fullbacks get forward (which Arsenal's do), you can use three fluid CAMs who can drop in and out of important areas and thread passes through for the striker.

If they are definitely to play with wingers then I agree that they could improve on AOC/Walcott, however a new signing would mean a solid Arsenal midfielder would end up on the bench.

With it being Arsenal, I can't see them spending £40m on Mahrez and then STILL going for a top striker. If they get him, that's all they're likely to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Why are you saying that the only way you can play in a 4-2-3-1 is by having wingers?

If your fullbacks get forward (which Arsenal's do), you can use three fluid CAMs who can drop in and out of important areas and thread passes through for the striker.
    I said this wouldn't work back in 2013 when they had Ozil, Cazorla and Wilshere as the 3 behind the striker and I'm pretty sure after watching their team get obliterated by top teams because the only way they could score was getting their fullbacks high up the pitch and get wrecked in transition by good counter attacking teams(like Chelsea 13/14 and Liverpool 13/14) they would agree with my point. They bought Sanchez right after that season which clearly showed that they knew lack of pace was a big problem in that formation.

If they are definitely to play with wingers then I agree that they could improve on AOC/Walcott, however a new signing would mean a solid Arsenal midfielder would end up on the bench.

With it being Arsenal, I can't see them spending £40m on Mahrez and then STILL going for a top striker. If they get him, that's all they're likely to get.
    The point is they're going to play with Wingers and will need a winger.

Other than Spain circa 2012(where they were pretty average for most of the tournament and they used the same setup in the world cup and got rekt, plus it wasn't even a pure 4-2-3-1 as Fabregas wasn't even a striker) no top team has really worked with a 4-2-3-1 with little pace on the flanks or a lack of 2 outlets. Liverpool at least have Sturridge or Origi up top to make up for any lack of outlet but Arsenal start Giroud. That is the problem.

I made this same argument 3 years ago prior to Arsenal getting thrashed away by every decent opposition.

ReputationRep:
    First that united fan was having a meltdown about us maybe signing vardy. Now Lucia losing it over mahrez. Is this a common theme.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.