Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember people laughing at United buying a 28 year old RVP for £24m, how much do you think you're getting Mandzukic for? Whatever it is, its money gone because his resale is going to be zero.

Balotelli is 23 years old, plenty of resale value on a 5 year deal. Could buy him for £30m and probably flog him for the same if he doesn't work out or isn't looking like resigning 3 season ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest)
    The only time he hasn't performed this season is the CL really, but the whole team didnt really match expectations there. I think he will make up for it in the WC but we'll see. Can see Giroud doing a madness with this France squad too, We might have a proper selection dilemma up front next season. Whens the the last time we had one of those?
    Would say RVP/Adebayor but RVP was usually injured so...:rolleyes:

In all honesty, 2006/07 was probably the last time we had genuine options up front every week.

(Original post by Fizzel)
    I seem to remember people laughing at United buying a 28 year old RVP for £24m, how much do you think you're getting Mandzukic for? Whatever it is, its money gone because his resale is going to be zero.

Balotelli is 23 years old, plenty of resale value on a 5 year deal. Could buy him for £30m and probably flog him for the same if he doesn't work out or isn't looking like resigning 3 season ahead.
    Mandzukic you're talking about £20m tops

Was more to do with the fact he had months left on his contract and is so very injury prone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Finally, Suarez's temperamental issues mimic that of Balo's, and look.. Suarez came around too right
    Good post, I tend to agree with most of it except the Suarez part. Suarez and Balo are two vey different players mentality wise. Suarez is such a great player because he ALWAYS gives 110% on the pitch every game, he works hard for the team and that naturally raises the work rate of players around him.

Even when he was attracting negative headlines he was still consistent top level performer. You can't say that with Balo, he turns up when he wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Tennant)
    As an Arsenal fan you'd hope that Wenger can secure a better target before moving onto Balo. If with x weeks to go, we've realised that there's no hope of signing anyone better or anyone with the potential to be better in the near future, then I guess I'd approve of the Balotelli signing. I wouldn't make him the first choice target though. We have plenty of money, lets throw some at Falcao (who's being offered around) or Cavani (who's upset at his current club) or Mandzukic (who's on his way out) or Benzema, if Suarez moves to Madrid. I'm not suggesting Falcao or Cavani are realistic, just that we have the financial power, CL football, and it should be a case of 'why not?' for players when approached by Arsenal. It would be a travesty if they weren't approached at all though.

My issue is with Balotelli on the pitch though - he's good but is he great? I don't think so. Can Wenger make him great? Maybe. But Mancini was his dad basically and that never worked out.

This is leaving aside the fact that he'd turn us into a laughing stock off the pitch with his constant 'funny' antics. Do we need another (hypercharged) Frimpong running around, mouthing off and in Balo's case, making the headlines? If he could light up a dreary place like Manchester who knows what fun he'll have in London.

I'd love Falcao, Monaco will ask for something £45M+, and supposedly Cavani is will sign a new contract at PSG. But I don't think he will, but again PSG will ask for some mad money for him. I don't know why but I don't really rate Mandzukic, people on this thread do but me personally I don't see what's amazing about. No doubt he's better than Giroud, but he just strikes me as a more clinical version of him. But if this Balotelli thing falls through then I think we'll probably go for him. Puma supposedly have something big lined up, but we won't know till July 1st.

ReputationRep:
    Arsene doesn't speak Italian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    Suarez issues are getting caught up in the heat of the moment through passion

Balotelli just has an awful attitude and awful work rate and discipline issues on and off the field.

He's nowhere near talented enough for the baggage he brings he's his time at Milan to prove himself and got 14 league goals this season. 4 penalties of which were penalties. what an upgrade over giroud that is
    Exactly, people comparing temperament of Suarez and Balotelli have it all wrong.

As you rightly said, Suarez has intense passion and desire to win; sometimes he can go over the top (but he has been better this past season really).
    Balotelli can just be a big baby really; not worth the hassle.

It isn't like he's a star player you couldn't afford to lose, he's just an average-decent striker that is terribly unreliable with attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    Exactly, people comparing temperament of Suarez and Balotelli have it all wrong.

As you rightly said, Suarez has intense passion and desire to win; sometimes he can go over the top (but he has been better this past season really).
    Balotelli can just be a big baby really; not worth the hassle.

It isn't like he's a star player you couldn't afford to lose, he's just an average-decent striker that is terribly unreliable with attitude.
    He's also just a bit of a ******** though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Arsene doesn't speak Italian.
    According to most sources, he does. Probably not fluently but he'd probably get up to standard in a few months maximum.

Interesting thing about Wenger is that his English has never really improved though, even though his German is absolutely perfect for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    According to most sources, he does.
    French, German, English, Spanish, a bit of Japanese, and Italian? I stand corrected.

The guy just oozes class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello101010)
    He's also just a bit of a ******** though
    Maybe he is to some people.
    But he's actually a great person.

He's a great teacher to the younger/newer players, and he always gives his all.

Sometimes he might be frustrating for opposing fans in a match, but off the field he is actually an awesome guy.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose learning Italian would be a walk in the part with French and Spanish already under your belt.

His level in German is hardly surprising considering he's from Strasbourg and the surrounding areas. I find it interesting that despite having spent a considerable amount of time in London he continues to think in French and hasn't tweaked his stereotypical accent.

ReputationRep:

Sometimes he might be frustrating for opposing fans in a match, but off the field he is actually an awesome guy.
    None of us know what he's like off the pitch. Someone who can punch people in the head and bite them is probably not going to be the nicest person off the pitch, but we don't actually know. All we can say is based on what we do know, he's definitely a ********.

ReputationRep:

LOL lets just ignore the casual racism and biting along with the diving then shall we! :rolleyes: Him toning down his antics this season doesn't mean you can excuse his previous.

Credit to LFCs PR team for changing his image in such a way, some have now forgotten his history. Magnificent job.

Yeah, great person!! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    French, German, English, Spanish, a bit of Japanese, and Italian? I stand corrected.

The guy just oozes class.
    It's nothing special tbh. Spanish and Italian are so similar, you can understand most of one if you're fluent in the other.

Most Swiss people would be proficient in french, german, italian and english too. Belgians too bar the italian.

Wish I continued French and Spanish to a-level, if only it wasn't considered useless for my degree

ReputationRep:
    I suppose learning Italian would be a walk in the part with French and Spanish already under your belt.

His level in German is hardly surprising considering he's from Strasbourg and the surrounding areas. I find it interesting that despite having spent a considerable amount of time in London he continues to think in French and hasn't tweaked his stereotypical accent.
    True.

Little known fact is that Wenger's father was forcibly conscripted into the SS during WW2 and ended up fighting in Siberia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello101010)
    None of us know what he's like off the pitch. Someone who can punch people in the head and bite them is probably not going to be the nicest person off the pitch, but we don't actually know. All we can say is based on what we do know, he's definitely a ********.
    That's just your perception of him.
    I agree he has done some very stupid things on the pitch, but what has he done this season that has annoyed you so much?

You of course have a bias against him like most opposing fans, stemming largely from jealousy of his world class ability.

Nobody can say for certain, but from interviews and reports from family and colleagues, he seems like a great guy.

We all do bad things; maybe not as bad as biting, but that's over now, cut him a little slack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    I would think Wenger has better man management skills than either tbh, especially Mancini.
    Yeah but I don't think Balotelli can be disciplined in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peggles_*)
    LOL lets just ignore the casual racism and biting along with the diving then shall we! :rolleyes: Him toning down his antics this season doesn't mean you can excuse his previous.

Credit to LFCs PR team for changing his image in such a way, some have now forgotten his history. Magnificent job.

Yeah, great person!! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Give it a rest now.

I never excused him for his precious antics; they cannot be defended.

Just look at my post above, cba to argue the same point twice.

ReputationRep:

You of course have a bias against him like most opposing fans, stemming largely from jealousy of his world class ability.

Nobody can say for certain, but from interviews and reports from family and colleagues, he seems like a great guy.

Why on earth would family/colleagues speak down on him in the first place? You can't just assume he's a great guy because these people are nailed down to praise him no matter how much of a ******** he actually may be

ReputationRep:
    Luis Suarez. His known throughout the galaxy 💥

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.