Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Describe The Person Above You Generation X watch

• View Poll Results: [MULTIPLE VOTES ALLOWED!!] Who would you like to meet face to face?
    This Honest
    41.67%
    The Epicurean
    20.83%
    Ranbow99
    25.00%
    L'Evil Fish
    37.50%
    Olympiad
    29.17%
    Malevolent
    37.50%
    Boumavilla
    12.50%
    ZRO
    29.17%
    Stevo F
    20.83%
    The Mad Dog
    12.50%
    Simran Mars Foster
    12.50%
    Beeninetytwo
    25.00%
    ipoop
    33.33%

• Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    How did she manage to do three degree's? :zomg: Were they all different subjects? :holmes:
    A Bsc in Biology, a short course degree on gemology and a Phd in biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    Oh my god gemology?

Thats so cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    There's a 60/70 something man with 50+ university degrees :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow :zomg: And I couldn't even finish one degree :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Academia is not for everyone, didn't uncle Bill Gates drop out of uni? Lord Sugar didn't even go to college let alone university and look where he is today. There's too much emphasis on degrees and "having a career" I'm thinking of a quote from 'Religion for Atheists' by De Bottom but it eludes me :grumble:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Oh my god gemology?

Thats so cool!
    Yeah, I'm sure it is.

I feel life is too short anyway just to focus on one degree

ReputationRep:
    I think if you know what you want to do or have an idea how to achieve it then go for it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I think if you know what you want to do or have an idea how to achieve it then go for it.
    Thanks

I will go for it. Originally wanted to do a masters in Economics but now I want an undergraduate CompSci instead of it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm sure it is.

I feel life is too short anyway just to focus on one degree
    I wanted to do Mineralogy haha :laugh:

Thanks

I will go for it. Originally wanted to do a masters in Economics but now I want an undergraduate CompSci instead of it.
    Yup do whatever you want to do. End of the day its you not anyone else. I learnt that the hard way but I think I've come to accept its my choices in life now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    Academia is not for everyone, didn't uncle Bill Gates drop out of uni? Lord Sugar didn't even go to college let alone university and look where he is today. There's too much emphasis on degrees and "having a career" I'm thinking of a quote from 'Religion for Atheists' by De Bottom but it eludes me :grumble:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But I don't have much going for me tbh and I would suppose my only platform to success would be through a degree :dontknow:

Ooh, I was gonna buy that book be Alaine de Bottom as I quite like him, but I looked at the size of the book and compared it to the size of the book and chose not to purchase it :mmm: Was it any good? :holmes: Daniel Dennett has a good video on youtube about a slightly similar topic called "What should replace religion" :pierre:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I wanted to do Mineralogy haha :laugh:

Yup do whatever you want to do. End of the day its you not anyone else. I learnt that the hard way but I think I've come to accept its my choices in life now.
    Mineralogy? :eyeball:

Maybe I could take Underwater Basket Weaving in the future too, just for the lulz. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Mineralogy? :eyeball:

Maybe I could take Underwater Basket Weaving in the future too, just for the lulz. :lol:
    Yeah its study of crystal structure, chemistry and physical properties of minerals.

Big geo nerd here haha

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I figured out that more doors open is a good thing, since my mother has three degrees herself. I will also get the full student experience including budgeting, though I won't live in halls.

Now I gotta download my summer playlist of songs and maybe get some shows on my laptop too. It's going to be a long journey tomorrow.
    Sounds like a good plan yeah make the most out of the experience :yep: and hopefully you will enjoy it greatly :ahee:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah its study of crystal structure, chemistry and physical properties of minerals.

Big geo nerd here haha
    So many degrees, so little time :moon:

I also plan to work full time for 1-3 years before the second degree and do it then apply for jobs again. It's going to be pretty stressful!

ReputationRep:
    So many degrees, so little time :moon:

I also plan to work full time for 1-3 years before the second degree and do it then apply for jobs again. It's going to be pretty stressful!
    Yeah haha gonna be frantic!

Hope you enjoy it though Ducky and you get to do what you want !
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Converse girl)
    Sounds like a good plan yeah make the most out of the experience :yep: and hopefully you will enjoy it greatly :ahee:
    Fingers crossed that I get to enjoy the student experience fully, the second time round. I feel that I didn't make the most of first year and living at home does have its drawbacks.

I have plenty of time to consider which unis though as I will take 1-3 gap years working and setting money aside for the degree. But first, I will finish Economics :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Morning my beautiful creatures.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    I don't mind the emphasis on having a career (I think having a goal career wise is better for everyone) but the idea that a degree equals and is the only route into a career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simran Mars Foster)
    Morning my beautiful creatures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was afternoon when you posted that Simran

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Not bad :O

Damn, I missed the discussion on whether I'm a regular - pretty sure I've been here for 6 moths +
    I just don't post here every second because I have a life

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you vote for me?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

:parrot:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.