Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Balotelli is an average player with flashes of brilliance. Not good enough for City, not good enough for Milan, but apparently good enough for Arsenal and justifies a 30M price-tag? I'll pass personally. Meanwhile Mandzukic is inches away from rejoining Wolfsburg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_Mckeown)
    That's just your perception of him.
    I agree he has done some very stupid things on the pitch, but what has he done this season that has annoyed you so much?

You of course have a bias against him like most opposing fans, stemming largely from jealousy of his world class ability.

Nobody can say for certain, but from interviews and reports from family and colleagues, he seems like a great guy.

We all do bad things; maybe not as bad as biting, but that's over now, cut him a little slack.
    Just admit it :rolleyes: Giggs is a ****, I admit that, why can't you do the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello101010)
    Balotelli got 14 in 30, Giroud got 16 in 36. So Balo has a better record in a worse team.
    Balotelli took penalties in a far worse league where the best team who set a points record were taken out of the champs league by galatasary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_tom)
    Balotelli is an average player with flashes of brilliance. Not good enough for City, not good enough for Milan, but apparently good enough for Arsenal and justifies a 30M price-tag? I'll pass personally. Meanwhile Mandzukic is inches away from rejoining Wolfsburg.
    You must be joking Surely? Balo is a quality player, he just needs the right motivation.

Mandzukic really worth £20M to Arsenal when we Giroud who performs the same role. Also Giroud will have 2 years of Prem experience under his belt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Oh I thought it was only Chelsea who loaned out players forever, 'abusing' the loan system. :rolleyes:
    When and where did I claim this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    You must be joking Surely? Balo is a quality player, he just needs the right motivation.

Mandzukic really worth £20M to Arsenal when we Giroud who performs the same role. Also Giroud will have 2 years of Prem experience under his belt
    Inconsistent player. Not wort £30M. When he's not producing on his day he's offering nothing else to the team. Ask any Milan fan and they will tell you he is the most frustrating player to watch.

Mandzukic is a major upgrade to Giroud. Mandzukic was ranked 6th in goals:minutes last season in Europe. Balotelli was nowhere near it. Only the likes of Suarez/Messi/Ronaldo/Ibra can boast better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Good post, I tend to agree with most of it except the Suarez part. Suarez and Balo are two vey different players mentality wise. Suarez is such a great player because he ALWAYS gives 110% on the pitch every game, he works hard for the team and that naturally raises the work rate of players around him.

Even when he was attracting negative headlines he was still consistent top level performer. You can't say that with Balo, he turns up when he wants.
    Yeah I agree, maybe I should have put it another way. I was referring to the crux of the problem, which is pretty much seems to be the same case for both Suarez & Balo.

Suarez gives it is all no doubt, and his controversial antics are a result of this. When he's not winning he does all he can to either win or to stop the other team from winning.

With Balo, he just does dumb **** when he's bored, or to amuse himself..

Both problems stem from immaturity, a mature footballer would know how far to go before it gets too much, and likewise a mature footballer will know what to do and what not to do off the pitch.

The maturity of both players seemed to be the crux of the problem and this season we've seen a more mature Suarez. I know that Wenger can catalyse the maturing process of Balo too.

We have to remember that Balo is only 23, when he set off fireworks in the bathroom he was 20-21. When Mourinho dealt with him he was even younger. He's got a whole career infront of him, and has already cemented his position in the Italian side, and is second to non for Milan, in terms of striking options. In 30 appearances, he gets 14 goals & 6 assists which is not a bad stat at all.

I think he can be a real good striking option to us. It'll then give us a range of attacking options, with him, giroud, Campbell and/or sonogo (depending on if he's loaned)

And let's not forget, he drove around dresses up as Santa on Christmas, giving people on the streets money LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Why on earth would family/colleagues speak down on him in the first place? You can't just assume he's a great guy because these people are nailed down to praise him no matter how much of a ******** he actually may be
    you're telling me i can't assume him to be nice, but you're assuming him not to be.
    isn't that what family are meant to do?
    of course they have their own bias, but they can also see who he really is when he isn't in the outside world or on the pitch being watched by millions.

nobody can ever defend his biting antics, but a few moments of madness do not define a person.

you're a good poster and i normally agree with you, but i simply can't on this.

Just admit it :rolleyes: Giggs is a ****, I admit that, why can't you do the same?
    i would admit it if it were true.
    on the field he has extreme desire to win; maybe that can at times cause him to go OTT.
    but how does that make him a bad person off the field?

without sounding too humanitarian, he is a human being like the rest of us.
    you may not like him, but that does not at all mean he is a bad person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_tom)
    Inconsistent player. Not wort £30M. When he's not producing on his day he's offering nothing else to the team. Ask any Milan fan and they will tell you he is the most frustrating player to watch.

Mandzukic is a major upgrade to Giroud. Mandzukic was ranked 6th in goals:minutes last season in Europe. Balotelli was nowhere near it. Only the likes of Suarez/Messi/Ronaldo/Ibra can boast better.
    You have to ask yourself: Why is he inconsistent? 1 There isn't enough quality in the Milan team to compensate for Balo when he's playing poorly.

2 His got the wrong mentality. He only seems motivated to play for Italy with any sense of work ethic. I fully believe Wenger could coach him to improve his all round team play and work ethic

His child, upcoming marriage and the competition in the Italy NT are helping Balo knuckle down and concentrate on Football. This would be the best time go for him. If we do sign him, like any other player, there are risks but If he did come I fully expect our midfield and wingers to carry Balo until Wenger coached him to work more for the team.

Imo De Rossi summed it up perfectly

“Balotelli is a player with great quality and his goal was scored with the movement of a real hitman.

“He has the quality of the greatest strikers, but sometimes doesn’t move the way they do. This is a problem for him, as he’d score triple the goals if he made the right movements.

“Mario is starting to understand that now, as his team-mates and the Coach help him. You can see he is beginning to mature tactically.

“In my view if Balotelli learned to run into space and stretch out the team, he’d become unstoppable, because physically there are no defenders who can hold him.”

ReputationRep:
    you're telling me i can't assume him to be nice, but you're assuming him not to be.
    isn't that what family are meant to do?
    of course they have their own bias, but they can also see who he really is when he isn't in the outside world or on the pitch being watched by millions.

nobody can ever defend his biting antics, but a few moments of madness do not define a person.

you're a good poster and i normally agree with you, but i simply can't on this.

on the field he has extreme desire to win; maybe that can at times cause him to go OTT.

Luis Suarez is probably capable of murder truth be told.

ReputationRep:

You think Gerrard doesn't have extreme desire to win? Almost all footballers do, but very few do the **** he does. It's disgusting. It doesn't necessarily make him a bad person off the field, but chances are if you can do the stuff he does on the pitch you can do it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Luis Suarez is probably capable of murder truth be told.
    well that makes no sense since any human being is capable of murder.

You think Gerrard doesn't have extreme desire to win? Almost all footballers do, but very few do the **** he does. It's disgusting. It doesn't necessarily make him a bad person off the field, but chances are if you can do the stuff he does on the pitch you can do it off.
    i agree, the best footballers are the best because their desire to win can positively affect their mental, thus physical performance.

his behaviour in the past has been disgusting, but what has he done this season that you find so bad?
    i know a single year cannot excuse him for his previous sins, but what has he done wrong in your eyes this season?

of course, there is a chance that the glimpses of madness we have seen in the past are windows in to his wider personality.
    but that does not mean we should make that assumption.

all in all, his personality should mean nothing to us (unless it affects his behaviour on the pitch in future).
    we are football fans.
    the fact is that if suarez played for your team, helped your team so much through times as tough as this, you would support him as much as i do now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    When and where did I claim this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I never said you did. In fairness it was more of the criticism of us stockpiling players a while back and then I hear armchair experts say something like "you should only loan a player out for a year max" when thinking of Lukaku's situation, which I think will backfire anyway, when quite a few clubs loan players out for more than a year, they are just much less profile situations.

ReputationRep:
    i agree, the best footballers are the best because their desire to win can positively affect their mental, thus physical performance.

his behaviour in the past has been disgusting, but what has he done this season that you find so bad?
    i know a single year cannot excuse him for his previous sins, but what has he done wrong in your eyes this season?

of course, there is a chance that the glimpses of madness we have seen in the past are windows in to his wider personality.
    but that does not mean we should make that assumption.

all in all, his personality should mean nothing to us (unless it affects his behaviour on the pitch in future).
    we are football fans.
    the fact is that if suarez played for your team, helped your team so much through times as tough as this, you would support him as much as i do now.
    He hasn't done anything this year as far as I remember, but as you say that doesn't matter.

You can support him as a player without endorsing his behaviour. That's the mature thing to do.

In fact, I don't buy the whole "he just wants to win" argument. Biting someone or punching them in the face when the ball isn't even there doesn't help your team to win, it does the opposite. The aim is to hurt someone for no reason, and get away with it because of the circumstances of a football match.

ReputationRep:
    He hasn't done anything this year as far as I remember, but as you say that doesn't matter.

You can support him as a player without endorsing his behaviour. That's the mature thing to do.

In fact, I don't buy the whole "he just wants to win" argument. Biting someone or punching them in the face when the ball isn't even there doesn't help your team to win, it does the opposite. The aim is to hurt someone for no reason, and get away with it because of the circumstances of a football match.
    Still better than Giggs, as a player and as a person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Still better than Giggs, as a player and as a person.
    I agree, but that's irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Balotelli was also inconsistent for Manchester City, surely you can't say that's a lack of quality either?

He's a risky buy imo but is an improvement on what you have.

Doubt you'll get him, you'll keep faith in Joel Campbell and Sanogo personally.

ReputationRep:

i of course do not endorse any negative behaviour on his part.
    we as adults should be able to control ourselves even in a passion-fuelled game.
    it was merely an explanation as to why he has done stupid things in the past.

tbh, you see it all over the place - a decent proportion of red cards in modern football are for stupid, unnecessary things.
    even in this world cup there have been several incidents of violent conduct for no real reason.

suarez cannot be excused, however i do think that he is definitely discriminated against.
    people make a way bigger deal if suarez does something bad than if somebody else like rooney did.

at the end of the day, a lot of people don't want to like the best people at something.
    we like to root for underdogs because we like the excitement and surprise.
    we don't always want the same people to win everything; we don't want to see the same footballers be the best year after year.
    maybe we find something to dislike about them; something to invalidate them in our eyes?

i remember i used to really hate ronaldo with all his diving.
    we like competition, so we want more of an even ground; we want more players challenging to be the best in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Balotelli was also inconsistent for Manchester City, surely you can't say that's a lack of quality either?

He's a risky buy imo but is an improvement on what you have.

Doubt you'll get him, you'll keep faith in Joel Campbell and Sanogo personally.
    The reason why Balo was inconsistent at Man city was because of his immaturity and his blatant refusal to work in a system. Hence why people labelled him lazy which he was tbf. People need to remember Balo was only 20 when he moved there.

Balo will be 24 this August and you can't deny there have been alot of changes in his life and attitude. Like I said his child, upcoming marriage and the competition in the Italy NT are helping Balo mature and concentrate on his football. He also showed signs of improvement under seedorf, he needs a coach to nurture him whilst being firm with him at the same time e.g Prandelli and Seedorf

ReputationRep:
    Higuin has been absolutely woeful

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 9, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.