Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh for ****s sake, ****s sake Dave. **** **** **** **** ****! That is going to hurt for years!

Watkins to the Bills!? Interesting, I like it but I don't like the price, they have backed their guy here!
    Manziel now to the Vikings at 8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Oh for ****s sake, ****s sake Dave. **** **** **** **** ****! That is going to hurt for years!

Watkins to the Bills!? Interesting, I like it but I don't like the price, they have backed their guy here!
    Manziel now to the Vikings at 8?
    Hahahahahaha Bortles, what a pick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    Hahahahahaha Bortles, what a pick
    Every QB on the board and he picked for me the 3rd best one! Jesus Christ, I'm coming around to the pick, Dave and Gus know much more than I do to be fair. I hope he's great and becomes the face of the franchise, Jacksonville needs that. Such a fudged draft board now for any mockers. Mack looks awesome and Jake Matthews is guaranteed solidarity.

This has to be the Browns pulling the trigger on their QB with this skip up 1! Apparently not! Shock and awe in Radio City Hall! If Manziel gets to the Cowboys colour me very scared...

Do like Gilbert though, he looks awesome!

Manziel is in play, Cowboys on the clock... DON'T FORCE ME TO HATE JONNY JERRY!!! - So pleased this didn't happen.

I like Pryor, shame he landed at the Jets, the Jets are one of those teams I can't help but dislike for no apparent reason.

Football to the Browns! Where QB prospects go to die, this is going to be fun! I do hope he turns the Dawg Pound around, they deserve it after so much awful football.

ReputationRep:
    Christ, I don't know why I watch this nonsense every year. It has to be the most overrated day on the sporting calendar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Christ, I don't know why I watch this nonsense every year. It has to be the most overrated day on the sporting calendar.
    I have no idea about American football but I'm still watching it. Twitter is comedy gold at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wait, does this means I have to get used to people talking about the Browns? Cleveland browns?

Tank hard Johnny football. Please.

ReputationRep:
    Jags take Bortles? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha h did they learn nothing after drafting Gabbert? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Clearly the Jags saw something worthwhile in Bortles, otherwise they wouldn't have taken him so high. He was clearly the top of their draft board, and their staff know way more about players than any of the media!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    I've seen Bortles mentioned as the best QB prospect in this draft.

ReputationRep:
    It happens every year. Discussions of the draft start so early that they run out of stuff to say, so someone (normally Todd Mcshay or Mel Kiper) try to come up with someone new. They then big them up and act like they were the ones who discovered this hidden gem. Everyone then hops on the bandwagon and starts bigging them up as well. What surprises me is how often even the teams fall for all the bull****, and people end up in the NFL who simply never belong there.

The similarities between Gabbert and Bortles are literally hilarious. Both 6'4"+, both played one read spread offenses, both had inflated accuracy stats due to their offensive systems, inconsistent accuracy, neither had played under center, poor footwork throwing off back foot, didn't really play too many good teams, and struggled with accuracy when they did.

I'm sorry I could be proven wrong, but I think it's an absolute ****e pick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackclarke1995)
    It happens every year. Discussions of the draft start so early that they run out of stuff to say, so someone (normally Todd Mcshay or Mel Kiper) try to come up with someone new. They then big them up and act like they were the ones who discovered this hidden gem. Everyone then hops on the bandwagon and starts bigging them up as well. What surprises me is how often even the teams fall for all the bull****, and people end up in the NFL who simply never belong there.

The similarities between Gabbert and Bortles are literally hilarious. Both 6'4"+, both played one read spread offenses, both had inflated accuracy stats due to their offensive systems, inconsistent accuracy, neither had played under center, poor footwork throwing off back foot, didn't really play too many good teams, and struggled with accuracy when they did.

I'm sorry I could be proven wrong, but I think it's an absolute ****e pick
    You're not wrong about the media and Kiper etc, but I'm still going to trust the Jags professional scouts over what you think Bortles can do. They know the mistake they made with Gabbert, and this time they had the pick of the litter, so they clearly chose him over both Manziel and Bridgewater

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rekyht)
    You're not wrong about the media and Kiper etc, but I'm still going to trust the Jags professional scouts over what you think Bortles can do. They know the mistake they made with Gabbert, and this time they had the pick of the litter, so they clearly chose him over both Manziel and Bridgewater

Fair enough. That's your opinion, I just think Bridgewater is better prepared for the switch to the NFL :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackclarke1995)
    Fair enough. That's your opinion, I just think Bridgewater is better prepared for the switch to the NFL :dontknow:
    I have to agree with you here, I think that of the crop of QBs going into this years draft Bridgewater is definitely the most NFL ready. I personally think that Bortles could potentially work out better in the long run though.

As for Manziel, I genuinely don't know what to think about him. Looked like a great player in college but I have a feeling that his attitude might get in the way too much, as there is no doubt he'll have to change his playing style to be successful in the NFL and I'm not sure he'll be prepared to do so.

I've got to say too that the general attitude towards Manziel just makes me angry. The comments section on any article about the kid is always full of nothing but abuse, people wishing that he'll fail in the NFL, hoping his career ends within a few years, and so many people revelling in their opinion that he'll end up being a bust. Why? What kind of ******* hopes for somebody to fail?
    I think there's probably a good chance that he won't have a long career in the NFL, and I personally don't like him, I think he's cocky, arrogant and generally comes across as a bit of a tosser, but at the same time I recognise that he's worked incredibly hard to get to where he is and deserves his shot at the pros.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rekyht)

I'm right in thinking that neither Caldwell or Bradley oversaw Gabbert yeah? So they won't have learned from that, hopefully the scouts did though! I keep watching Bortles film now and he's pretty accurate most of the time, has some good fundamentals with the way he climbs the pocket. He does quite a lot of staring down receivers though so he'll need to learn to use his eyes as a weapon. His play extension skills remind me of Roethlisberger if he could shift and that can only be a good thing. He's not going to start for Jacksonville on day 1 I don't think, there needs to be a few tweaks but come week 8+ if Henne isn't doing the business I can see Gus throwing him in there. Ideally though I think you give him a year to make his adjustments.

ReputationRep:
    Just lol at the Bortles pick. That's why the jags are the jags :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I feel like part of the Jag's pick was that maybe they didn't want Manziel or Bridgewater, so they pulled the trigger (waaay too early) on Bortles, because they thought the Browns or Vikings might take him. Honestly if you were going to take Bortles with your first pick you may as well have traded down and got a few more picks

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what to make of the Easley pick. When healthy hes an absolute force but two ACL tears already is pretty damn scary...

Troy Niklas or ASJ please Bill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    They'll never learn :lol:

ReputationRep:
    If the 'Hawks get Su'a-Filo I will be happy. Then maybe Jarvis Landry at the bottom of this one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    **** off you! Your Patriots 1st round pick has no knees!

Bradley and Caldwell had a 5 year plan, they clearly feel that Bortles can accelerate the 5 year plan and that's why they pulled the trigger at 3, that was the criteria for going QB at #3 and they've stuck rigidly to the plan so far! Not big on my 7-9 prediction now though, Henne can't win 7 games in a season and nor can Bortles in current state. The Cowboys actually made a really good looking pick too instead of the usually idiocy so I'm less happy with my Wembley game. This is a bit like when Moyes' got hired at Man U, I'm like errrmmm but the fan in you says trust your guy to make the right choices, that didn't turn out so well though did it?! Second times a charm maybe? The whole organisation has bought into Bortles and have said they'll give him as long as he needs so that's a great environment to promote development unlike Moyes who was put in by one man. If he turns into Ben Roethlisberger II then in 6 years everyone will be singing the praises of the pick.

The Jags need a receiver, another running back for the committee, a tight end, a centre. Basically they need anything that's not a tackle with the next picks, the more the merrier!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.