The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gunna be spending tomorrow morning trying to find me some murmurs.
The NG tube practical was way worse than the venepuncture/cannulation ones. I refused to let anyone practise ABGs on me though.
After a year and a half medicine has suddenly become difficult and time consuming. Joy.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
After a year and a half medicine has suddenly become difficult and time consuming. Joy.

Yup.
Original post by Fission_Mailed

Fundoscopy without pupil dilation is a bit of a bitch, no idea what I was looking for. Any tips?
Original post by Mushi_master
Fundoscopy without pupil dilation is a bit of a bitch, no idea what I was looking for. Any tips?

Has your clinical skills centre got those fake heads that you can put in front of the window/a light source to practice on? I haven't got any useful advice other than practice... it's always seemed like luck not skill in finding anything!

I found it hard too, it's meant to be easier on lighter eyed people? Luckily we just have to do it on models in our OSCE this year. It involves looking inside a small hole in a pair of table tennis balls to find random words written all over the inside, to demonstrate we can use a fundoscope! it's quite fun...as far as clinical skills goes.

I don't think it's particularly easy anyway!
Original post by Isometrix
It involves looking inside a small hole in a pair of table tennis balls to find random words written all over the inside

kind of third world medical school is this? Can't they afford proper models?

MODS GUNNA MOD
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by crazylemon

Original post by crazylemon
Fundoscopy I can do. Although trying to explain to the supervisor that I was left eyed was fun :tongue:
Otoscopy on the other hand... All I ever see is wax.

How do you know? :confused:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
How do you know? :confused:

I believe it is when you close one eye, the image jumps. So like when I close my right eye, my laptop jumps a little to the right of my normal binocular vision, hence showing the right eye (image stays fixed) is my dominant 'eye'? (Probably more your dominant occipital lobe rather than eye)

Never understood it until I did neurology really. An old neurologist with a black neuro bag and a waistcoat told me to feel the occipital prominence (the bump on the back of the head), keep one hand on that and then using the fundoscope, 'nail' the fundoscope beam to the bump. Works everytime!
Cheers for the tips guys! Rep would be coming if it wouldn't ask me to rate some other members first, but it's the thought that counts eh?

Seems I should just get some practice in tbh, the idea with the occipital prominence sounds like a good 'un. Apparently in our OSCE's we either get a model or just pics of retinas anyway, but I'd like to be able to do it properly either way of course.
Original post by digitalis
I believe it is when you close one eye, the image jumps. So like when I close my right eye, my laptop jumps a little to the right of my normal binocular vision, hence showing the right eye (image stays fixed) is my dominant 'eye'? (Probably more your dominant occipital lobe rather than eye)

Yep, you can also get a peice of paper and cut a hole in it. Then bring it back to your eyes and you'll cover your least dominent "eye" and look out of the hole with your dominent "eye". It's what we do to determine how you're going to hold a shotgun as if you hold it up to your "wrong" eye you won't be able to hit ****.

Original post by Isometrix
I found it hard too, it's meant to be easier on lighter eyed people? Luckily we just have to do it on models in our OSCE this year. It involves looking inside a small hole in a pair of table tennis balls to find random words written all over the inside, to demonstrate we can use a fundoscope! it's quite fun...as far as clinical skills goes.

That actually sounds quite fun. How did they manage to write little messages on the inside of tennis balls though?
Original post by digitalis

I just tried this. Nothing particularly moves :confused: Do I not have a dominant eye?

Seems I should just get some practice in tbh, the idea with the occipital prominence sounds like a good 'un. Apparently in our OSCE's we either get a model or just pics of retinas anyway, but I'd like to be able to do it properly either way of course.

The models are a piece of piss. A monkey could identify a banana on one of those if you gave them a fundoscope.

Original post by RollerBall

That actually sounds quite fun. How did they manage to write little messages on the inside of tennis balls though?

Imagine finding 'penis' on one of them in your OSCE, lol
Aaahh I have to do a 1 hour teaching session to some younger students tomorrow and I am ridiculously apprehensive!! I think the longest presentation I have ever done is about 15 minutes, and I have never really done anything that constitutes teaching. It will be good practice, but I hope they don't show me up, everyone is always saying the lower years are cleverer than us oldies! Any tips from anyone who has done some teaching?
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Original post by Becca-Sarah
I just tried this. Nothing particularly moves :confused: Do I not have a dominant eye?

Same :dontknow:

I hope my right eye is dominant, as I am so bad at closing it. I practically have to scrunch up my whole cheek :teehee:
Original post by mrs_bellamy
Aaahh I have to do a 1 hour teaching session to some younger students tomorrow and I am ridiculously apprehensive!! I think the longest presentation I have ever done is about 15 minutes, and I have never really done anything that constitutes teaching. It will be good practice, but I hope they don't show me up, everyone is always saying the lower years are cleverer than us oldies! Any tips from anyone who has done some teaching?

Avoid powerpoint

If you have to use it, don't read off the slide

Ask questions to the audience

Aim to give your talk for 3/4 of the time to ensure you leave time for questions and finish on time

Or you could just tell them to go to the pub and you will be a winner all round! :p: