Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I don't know how many have noticed this, but beyond the decisions and results, we as a team are pretty average with the ball. I think Swansea are better with it than us. There is little movement in the midfield, no creativity. We rely on Walcott on the wings to cross it into Giroud, but Theo is awful on the wing.
    half the time i see arsenal play they look like the england football team, control possession, back four pass it around, never look like scoring or any penetration

we need to be so much faster in our build up play and we can do it because i've seen us play like that for short periods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I don't know how many have noticed this, but beyond the decisions and results, we as a team are pretty average with the ball. I think Swansea are better with it than us. There is little movement in the midfield, no creativity. We rely on Walcott on the wings to cross it into Giroud, but Theo is awful on the wing.
    we need to talk about Aaron Ramsey. He cant even see a pass never mind make one, slows everything down gets himself caught in awkward positions due to his complete misunderstanding of space and cant dribble. He offers next to nothing going forward. And without Arteta essentially ordering him about he's actually a liability. And if he's supposed to play as a DM he's made a complete mess of that as well. Agbonlahor walzed into our box yday for their first. No sense of positioning at all, and he cant make a tackle of course. We need a DM.

Walcott was piss poor yesterday. 2/10, but he's always been like that. He simply doesnt have the technical ability to get past deep defenses. He will end up with 20 goals this season scored in exactly the same kind of open, end to end games we know he can play in whilst offering nothing 50% of the time. We need a creative winger. Also WTF is he taking our set pieces still? Words cant describe how stupid this is with so many others available.

Giroud's another problem. Too slow and clumsy to lead a Wenger attack, new striker still desperately needed.

In fairness Rosicky/Wilshere/Cazorla are all great players on the ball, its what's around them that is the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    So when will someone say 'ffs don't want that judas back at arsenal' to kolo toure in response to the comment there?
    Why would anyone call kolo a judas? An Arsenal great that gave nothing less than 100% for the club. You're another that's just making **** up.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal used to be frightening to play against. We used to have big, powerful players and dominate matches like yesterday. I remember commentators always used to talk about us having another gear. Now we've lost that, teams know we can be got at. Supporters go to games hoping to win, but no longer expecting to. It feels like we've gone from being a lion to a pussycat. Something needs to change. The tactics are all wrong. We were best when we played fast, counter attacking football. Now we are slow, indecisive and with no cutting edge, no players who can create from nothing. More than anything, we are inconsistent. It's sad. We should be spending to get back to that but this window has been a farce. Things went downhill when Dein left, he had contacts and was ruthless, we need him back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Why would anyone call kolo a judas? An Arsenal great that gave nothing less than 100% for the club. You're another that's just making **** up.
    can't take a joke? Or because that joke included you with the rest of the people on the thread using that term for most of the first team players that left arsenal so you thought I was making a personal dig? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    we need to talk about Aaron Ramsey. He cant even see a pass never mind make one, slows everything down gets himself caught in awkward positions due to his complete misunderstanding of space and cant dribble. He offers next to nothing going forward. And without Arteta essentially ordering him about he's actually a liability. And if he's supposed to play as a DM he's made a complete mess of that as well. Agbonlahor walzed into our box yday for their first. No sense of positioning at all, and he cant make a tackle of course. We need a DM.

Walcott was piss poor yesterday. 2/10, but he's always been like that. He simply doesnt have the technical ability to get past deep defenses. He will end up with 20 goals this season scored in exactly the same kind of open, end to end games we know he can play in whilst offering nothing 50% of the time. We need a creative winger. Also WTF is he taking our set pieces still? Words cant describe how stupid this is with so many others available.

Giroud's another problem. Too slow and clumsy to lead a Wenger attack, new striker still desperately needed.

In fairness Rosicky/Wilshere/Cazorla are all great players on the ball, its what's around them that is the problem.
    As Wenger said yesterday, it's all good saying spend but when you ask on who, the problems arise :rolleyes:

So let's help him out. I agree with all the positions you spoke of but also believe we need a keeper. Szeczney for a season is asking for trouble. Asmir Begovic should be the one. He's quality and is only 26. Yes he may cost £15m~ but he's worth it. Look at De Gea - UTD spent £20m on him but he's paying them back.

As for the winger, Willian should be an obvious target. He has the pace and flair that we miss. Podolski is NOT a winger and Walcott is a one-trick pony - kick and run.

A striker is trickier. We've missed out on Higuain and Suarez is unlikely. Rooney would be great but perhaps unrealistic. Jackson Martinez of Porto has been spoken of.

A defensive midfielder, a great need. Apparently we're thinking of making another bid for Bender. If not, how about Morgan Schneiderlin of Southampton?

And finally a RB/CB - I think Micah Richards would fit this perfectly. Versatile and good defender.

My new look Arsenal:

Begovic (quality keeper, showed yday how good he is against Liverpool)

Sagna
    Mertascker
    Koscielny
    Gibbs/Montreal

Schneiderlin (unsung Southampton hero)
    Wilshere
    Rosicky
    Cazorla
    Willian (creative and fast - offers a new dimension to Podolski and Walcott)

Martinez (realistic forward signing - no time to go for Rooney or bid again for Suarez)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On the Brightside ferbanache were 2 nil up and lost 3-2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kidomo)
    What's up with shearer and arsenal? He absolutely hates us.
    I asked this question last year, he always lays into Arsenal in a way i've never seen another pundit consistently do. He has not one positive thing to say about the club, he loathes you. He's an idiot anyway.

Pretty intrigued to see who Wenger will bring in. 2011 was similar to this but he came out with quality such as Arteta, Mertesacker and Santos Obviously it's make or break though, he really needs to being in someone like Luiz Gustavo as DM is really an issue and imo the reason you lost the game yesterday. A striker obviously paramount too, and a creative winger. He surely must have some aces up his sleeve seeing he's got rid of a lot of player such as Gervinho. No need to panic yet for Arsenal fans, but a definite entitlement to frustration.

Walcott is so one dimensional as a player too yet he will come out of the season with good stats, like Zurich was saying he can't play against deep defences. Creative winger is really important for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    . Something needs to change. The tactics are all wrong. We were best when we played fast, counter attacking football. Now we are slow, indecisive and with no cutting edge, no players who can create from nothing. More than anything, we are inconsistentc .
    Spot on here and the worst thing are that your wingers are clearly suited for fast counter attacking football why does wenger not see this? Walcott won't be able to break down buses but will destroy the opposition when they put their players forward and wilshere is able to quicken the play with directness in the centre as aoc is able to as well. Around 2008-2011 possession was a good tactic but since nasri and fab left that's not the case now

ReputationRep:
    can't take a joke? Or because that joke included you with the rest of the people on the thread using that term for most of the first team players that left arsenal so you thought I was making a personal dig? :rofl:
    Oh now it's a joke. I see..................

Knock him hard whilst they're down I guess.

ReputationRep:
    The craziest thing is we're chatting like it's the beginning of the window. Remarkable the season has started and we're still discussing what signings we need to make.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    The craziest thing is we're chatting like it's the beginning of the window. Remarkable the season has started and we're still discussing what signings we need to make.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yaya sanogo don't watch he's the solution(I think he'll do well tbh if he stays fit) but yeah it's disappointing. I do feel that the atmosphere isn't helping the team but it goes hand in hand negativity is down to failure and failure is also down to the negativity(I say this as a chelsea fan). How do people think the players feel when you say the team aren't good enough. It's only the first round out of 38 and these defeats happen. The squad was good enough to win the game and the atmosphere booing the ref at the end of the first half(1-1 ffs) and then when they went 3-1 down was pathetic. Finally the tactics were all wrong against such a good counter attacking side and it doesn't help when wilshere loses his head. Personally I'd slap the players after the game if I was wenger for that shocking attempt of a performance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    As Wenger said yesterday, it's all good saying spend but when you ask on who, the problems arise :rolleyes:

So let's help him out. I agree with all the positions you spoke of but also believe we need a keeper. Szeczney for a season is asking for trouble. Asmir Begovic should be the one. He's quality and is only 26. Yes he may cost £15m~ but he's worth it. Look at De Gea - UTD spent £20m on him but he's paying them back.

As for the winger, Willian should be an obvious target. He has the pace and flair that we miss. Podolski is NOT a winger and Walcott is a one-trick pony - kick and run.

A striker is trickier. We've missed out on Higuain and Suarez is unlikely. Rooney would be great but perhaps unrealistic. Jackson Martinez of Porto has been spoken of.

A defensive midfielder, a great need. Apparently we're thinking of making another bid for Bender. If not, how about Morgan Schneiderlin of Southampton?

And finally a RB/CB - I think Micah Richards would fit this perfectly. Versatile and good defender.

My new look Arsenal:

Begovic (quality keeper, showed yday how good he is against Liverpool)

Sagna
    Mertascker
    Koscielny
    Gibbs/Montreal

Schneiderlin (unsung Southampton hero)
    Wilshere
    Rosicky
    Cazorla
    Willian (creative and fast - offers a new dimension to Podolski and Walcott)

Martinez (realistic forward signing - no time to go for Rooney or bid again for Suarez)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cant understand why DM is such an issue for Wenger at all, lots of them going. Lars Bender is a great player and even if we overpaid by a few million still would improve us massively.

CB is similar, we dont need a superstar here just someone dependable. Sakho at PSG for example would solve alot of problems. Howedes from Schalke? Again not impossible to find a dozen candidates in the next 2 weeks.

Lots of creative wide men about too, even in the EPL with Ben Arfa etc. Thauvon apparently is really good. Lamela? Otherwise we can manager with Cazorla out wide probably and sign a CAM.

With strikers we genuinely are in a state, just arent any about. Never seen Martinez play but he might be the best we can hope for. Eto'o? Fred from Brazil? Damião?

So if we managed to get say Lamela, Bender for 25m each, Begovic for 10m, Sakho for 7m and a competent RB then I'd be reasonably content. No striker but who are we supposed to get?

ReputationRep:
    Cant understand why DM is such an issue for Wenger at all, lots of them going. Lars Bender is a great player and even if we overpaid by a few million still would improve us massively.

CB is similar, we dont need a superstar here just someone dependable. Sakho at PSG for example would solve alot of problems. Howedes from Schalke? Again not impossible to find a dozen candidates in the next 2 weeks.

Lots of creative wide men about too, even in the EPL with Ben Arfa etc. Thauvon apparently is really good. Lamela? Otherwise we can manager with Cazorla out wide probably and sign a CAM.

With strikers we genuinely are in a state, just arent any about. Never seen Martinez play but he might be the best we can hope for. Eto'o? Fred from Brazil? Damião?

So if we managed to get say Lamela, Bender for 25m each, Begovic for 10m, Sakho for 7m and a competent RB then I'd be reasonably content. No striker but who are we supposed to get?
    Lamela will cost nearer £40m, not £25m.

You guys are dreaming if you think Wenger will sign 2 or 3 players for £15m+, you'll no doubt sign some crap like Santos again. :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Lamela will cost nearer £40m, not £25m.

You guys are dreaming if you think Wenger will sign 2 or 3 players for £15m+, you'll no doubt sign some crap like Santos again. :rofl2:
    you are without a doubt, the worst poster on here. what's worse is that nobody has any interest in your posts but you keep replying to everyone else

ReputationRep:
    you are without a doubt, the worst poster on here. what's worse is that nobody has any interest in your posts but you keep replying to everyone else
    pos reppd

hes a liverpool fan, makes it even more of a joke.

The day we become as bad as liverpool and have a woman like Brenda in charge will be the end. At least we arent at that stage yet.....

ReputationRep:
    No idea what to say about yesterday but kind of annoyed both with people saying how Wenger is a total moron because of that game and also those who think hes totally blameless:

Our squad depth is terrifyingly bad, but there's no way we could have expected both our first choice fullbacks to be injured in one game. At the same time, however, having no cover in the DM position hurts us, and while there are a few people who seem to think he's useless, yesterday was a great example of what happens when Arteta isn't playing. Wenger needs to get his act together, but there are very few squads which would be completely fine with an injury/suspension list this ridiculous.

The referee was terrible yesterday, AND we were bad. It's not just the penalty decisions (at both ends): it was pretty clear from about halfway through the first half that villa were planning to kick the sh*t out of us whether they got the ball or not, and it's difficult to get any sort of flow going when if you get past someone they're just going to cynically shove you. I don't think it's a stretch to say that good refereeing would have meant a very different game. That said, a) however terrible the ref is, we have to play to the whistle and we didn't. Even if a foul being ignored is ridiculous and unfair, you can't just turn round and look at the ref instead of going and winning the ball back, and b) It's Aston Villa, we shouldn't need average or better luck to beat them at home. We should be able to tear through them despite playing against the ref as well and there's no denying that, even ignoring the decisions, we weren't as good as we should be.

So once again, nobody was crying before that game that the team Wenger picked wasn't good enough to beat villa and was going to lose by two goals. The ugly as hell scoreline has a lot to do with terrible luck and by no means is a sign that our manager is senile. But we didn't look good; we fluffed chances, tracked back terribly and appealed decisions while play continued instead of listening for a whistle. None of that can be blamed on bad luck and a terrible referee.

ReputationRep:
    Getting fed up of people saying the same things other people have been saying for the last few pages. How about we hold our fire until after the transfer window has closed and talk about the next match instead of repeatedly stating the obvious..

ReputationRep:
    I've been baying for Bender for ages now, but thinking about it, a recent name who we've been linked with, Herrera, would be a better option, being a natural, improved replacement for Arteta (who is so vital to us). Excellent technique and creativity, whilst also sits back and contributes a whole lot defensively, often being the man to attempt to break up a counter, which was sorely missed yesterday.
    Lamela would be great, but not happening.
    Williams, for obvious reasons, would be good. A striker would be ideal too, but not convinced with Martinez and Rooney would be awful for a host of other, off field, issues. But I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Also, Wenger can't be blamed for the loss yesterday. We have, without adding to the squad, more than enough quality to see off Aston Villa at home. I don't think that's what people are complaining about, but more the general situation we find ourselves in going into a Champions League qualifier.
    Naturally, I shall support Wenger throughout his tenure; the man has been like a father figure to me, and I'll display optimism in that there are still a few days till the end of the window, but something does need to be done wrt the depth and quality of the squad.

ReputationRep:
    Spot on here and the worst thing are that your wingers are clearly suited for fast counter attacking football why does wenger not see this? Walcott won't be able to break down buses but will destroy the opposition when they put their players forward and wilshere is able to quicken the play with directness in the centre as aoc is able to as well. Around 2008-2011 possession was a good tactic but since nasri and fab left that's not the case now
    I agree. We crumbled because Arteta gone. Jack and Ramsey can't do a job at DM. Wenger had to drop the wingers deeper to help the defence, hence our attack was dulled and our defence was weak. I'm not worried about the rest of the season Wenger will bring in the right players. What worries me is how Wenger has created a team so mentally fragile. I have always said this team lack mental strength

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.