Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How many of you guys had done stuff MTAS points related while in your first two /three years of Med school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    How many of you guys had done stuff MTAS points related while in your first two /three years of Med school?
    I certainly didn't! Didn't have anything apart from my ranking and answers and got 82. The FPAS guidance notes state that actually most applicants don't have any publications,posters etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    I certainly didn't! Didn't have anything apart from my ranking and answers and got 82. The FPAS guidance notes state that actually most applicants don't have any publications,posters etc.
    Excellent. I have the option of helping with an audit at my MedSoc but it's psych related (boo) and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing for it as my end of year MedSoc report. From what I gather all the evidence has been collected I just have to collate and evaluate it but I have no idea what that involves.

My ranking (decile) is probably going to come out quite shabby unless I stop playing video games which probably isn't going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent. I have the option of helping with an audit at my MedSoc but it's psych related (boo) and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing for it as my end of year MedSoc report. From what I gather all the evidence has been collected I just have to collate and evaluate it but I have no idea what that involves.

My ranking (decile) is probably going to come out quite shabby unless I stop playing video games which probably isn't going to happen.
    Yeah these sort of medsoc audits aren't great, you really need to complete the audit loop to get any meaningful results and a presentation/poster/publication out of it. I tried to get roped into a few but it mostly involves just using you as an unpaid data collector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    Let me guess, the US are big fans of the testathon? This combined with defensive medicine will be the downfall of clinical acumen.
    What about refining 'clinical acumen' into a properly evidence-based concept?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah these sort of medsoc audits aren't great, you really need to complete the audit loop to get any meaningful results and a presentation/poster/publication out of it. I tried to get roped into a few but it mostly involves just using you as an unpaid data collector.
    From what I gather the data has already been collated. So I'll get given the before, during, after results and told to write it up.

I had a very brief chat with the clin. psych about it and it's something to do with measuring stress levels before, after and during a treatment (data has already been collected) so it would be the evaluatory side of things. I'm not sure if I'm being involved out of my depth though.

ReputationRep:
    I helped out with an audit in my second year that was presented at a national conference, but since I didn't do the presenting I'm not sure where I stand on gaining points from it.

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather the data has already been collated. So I'll get given the before, during, after results and told to write it up.

I had a very brief chat with the clin. psych about it and it's something to do with measuring stress levels before, after and during a treatment (data has already been collected) so it would be the evaluatory side of things. I'm not sure if I'm being involved out of my depth though.
    If its been gathered that might be worth a look! Just clarify with her before you start exactly what you will get out of it and a first author, second author, no name etc to avoid being shafted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I helped out with an audit in my second year that was presented at a national conference, but since I didn't do the presenting I'm not sure where I stand on gaining points from it.
    I would ask if you might be included as an author, otherwise you've done the donkey work for nowt.

ReputationRep:
    **** you BUCS

Still trying to force merge medschools. Seems very much Medgroup and Cardiff medics against everyone. At least imperial is trying to make a work around (although not perfect if BUCS make it so it will be that or leaves bucks)
    Barts have worst of it though, sounds like qm just wants to merge totally.

ReputationRep:
    Spot diagnosis in a tescos coustomer - ?Huntingdon's disease...

ReputationRep:
    I've never felt a collapsing pulse before, wouldn't know if it hit me in the face.
    More time on the wards/smoozing with friendly doctors who point you to signs/being lucky enough to get awesome tutors!
    They're fun - I've felt a few & we did tend to have group agreement on them (blinded - tutorials where first one is watched & critiqued on skills then they present in private as everyone else takes their turn to examine the patient with peer feedback then presents to the tutor in private & so on.)

Spot diagnosis of Huntington's in pre-genetic test counselling clinic sucks.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vh0WmLcf5Ug

ReputationRep:
    I think I might be in the process of reversing my opinions on PBL/CBL/etc.

ReputationRep:
    OSCEs tomorrow. Will be glad when this lot of exams is over.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    How weird. One of my friends literally just posted that on facebook :unsure:

(Original post by Kinkerz)
    I think I might be in the process of reversing my opinions on PBL/CBL/etc.
    Why? What were your opinions before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Same.....

As for PBL I don't know. I must admit it might have taught me to learn more because this year I don't think I am doing enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    The group on facebook - 'You know you're a medical student when you...' - just posted it.

Why? What were your opinions before?
    I used to think it was a good way to learn and promoted a higher level of self-directed learning, which is important. Now I think it's so inconsistently done that the positives achieved by a good example of PBL are infrequent at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)

I used to think it was a good way to learn and promoted a higher level of self-directed learning, which is important. Now I think it's so inconsistently done that the positives achieved by a good example of PBL are infrequent at best.
    You've seen the light!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    **** you BUCS

Still trying to force merge medschools. Seems very much Medgroup and Cardiff medics against everyone. At least imperial is trying to make a work around (although not perfect if BUCS make it so it will be that or leaves bucks)
    Barts have worst of it though, sounds like qm just wants to merge totally.
    Yeah, there was a big meeting where some external was brought in to "streamline" and "develop" our sports teams amogst other key business terms.

He got ripped to ****ing peices in the Q&A though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.