Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    you are without a doubt, the worst poster on here. what's worse is that nobody has any interest in your posts but you keep replying to everyone else
    Great response, 10/10, would read again.

(Original post by weeknd5000)
    pos reppd

hes a liverpool fan, makes it even more of a joke.

The day we become as bad as liverpool and have a woman like Brenda in charge will be the end. At least we arent at that stage yet.....
    Mind the gap. :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

Mind the gap. :sexface:
    But you finish below us year after year...... They dont call you LOLerpool for no reason.

You mad brah

ReputationRep:
    But you finish below us year after year...... They dont call you LOLerpool for no reason.

You mad brah
    How many trophies have you got to show for all your years of superiority over us? Or do you frame the accounts statements each year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    How many trophies have you got to show for all your years of superiority over us? Or do you frame the accounts statements each year?
    They have 4 top 4 trophies tbf :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    bit of a technicality really, all LFC have won is an FA cup against West Ham and LC against a 2nd division side and are currently busting a but to get to where Arsenal have been at these last 8 years whereas we're sick and tired of just finishing top4 and want to push on. That's not to say AFC have had a good time on the pitch of late, but off the pitch weve had a crazy amount of success with the new stadium etc. LFC havent had either and dont look like they can either.

ReputationRep:
    A group of disgruntled Arsenal fans have written an open letter to chief executive Ivan Gazidis, expressing their "deep concern" with the state of the club.

The Gunners' 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa on the opening day of the Premier League season prompted the move, with a failure to act in the transfer market chief among the worries held by the Black Scarf Movement.

The open letter in full:

Dear Ivan,

We write to you as Arsenal's largest and fastest-rowing supporters' group, to convey our deep concern at the current state of our team going into the new season.

In early June, around season ticket renewal time, you were widely quoted following your Q&A event where you spoke about the club's new financial firepower and ambition moving forward. Many fans saw this as the club finally about to break free from the shackles of moving stadium; new commercial deals were coming into place, we had a vast amount of cash available in the bank, profit from the Queensland Road property project was secured, the vast increase in TV revenue was about to land on our doorstep, and after treading water since moving from Highbury it seemed as if we were finally going to push on.

What has happened since then is nothing short of a disgrace.

There have been noises coming out of the club over the summer that the market was slow, that other clubs weren't doing much, and that things take time if you're after top-quality players. We feel all of these were poor excuses, designed to deflect focus away from our shortcomings.

The only positive of the summer has been the release of many players who were generally considered 'dead wood' – and naturally this frees up more cash for investment in the team. But with the departure of these players, virtually no movement has come in the opposite direction and we're now left with a squad severely lacking in depth and experience. Indeed, the squad registered for the Champions League in the last week had to be padded out with kids.

As a group we have been concerned for some time that the Board running our club has lost sight of the raison d'etre - i.e. we are Arsenal Football Club; not a business purely focused on posting profits year after year.

You will have seen the results of our end-of-season survey, which came out in favour of Arsene Wenger but with 70 per cent stating that he has too much control over transfer negotiations and setting of wage levels at the club. The same survey revealed that 87% of fans feel the current board of Arsenal is out of touch with the feeling among fans and that 73% feel less valued by the club since we moved stadium.

It is our view as a group that the board of Arsenal is too relaxed about the competitiveness of our team, and that as long as a top-four place is secured, it is a case of 'job done'. This should never be the case but, despite hearing you say you're not happy every time we end a season with nothing to really cheer about, nothing changes.

So in June following your statement of intent, fans were rightly hopeful but what has happened since then? Yet again we've spent the summer dithering while others around us have strengthened, and once more we start the season playing catch-up. With five competitive matches due before the transfer window closes, there is every chance that our season could be dealt a hammer blow before we've had a chance to take stock, and this weekend's defeat at home to Aston Villa should act as a huge wake-up call.

We are now in a situation where we're faced with a carbon copy of 2011, where it took an 8-2 humiliation at Manchester United to force a 'trolley dash' on the final day of the transfer window. Of course by then it was too late. For Arsenal to be in that situation once is unacceptable; for it to happen twice in three years will be unforgivable.

It is imperative that the board of Arsenal does its job and manages the Manager – an employee of the club you are supposed to be running. What are Arsene Wenger's targets / KPIs set by the Board every year? Is the he not even answerable to the board, with free rein to do as he pleases as long as he helps the business achieve a profit? Is he having to do all the running himself when it comes to transfers or if support is there, is he taking it? Clarity is required here because something clearly isn't right at the club when it comes to the acquisition of new players.

You put all the focus on the Arsene Wenger yourself at that Q&A session in June, but to fans there is little evidence of questions being asked of him; this despite approaching the end of the transfer window with no sign of needed, established quality coming in. Does the board feel that it's been a good summer? Because we've now lost our opening game of the season, our squad is already blitzed by injury, once more today there were fans coming to blows in the stands. As a board member, does this even bother you?

Of course if we used the funds we do have available, brought in top-quality players and competed for prizes, in would come better commercial deals, you wouldn't have as much trouble trying to get corporate punters back into the stadium, and naturally the more successful we are it becomes easier to attract better players. Or is the board too short-sighted to realise this?
    A competitive team isn't one which scrapes the position of fourth-best team in the league on the final day of the season and gets dumped out of domestic cup competitions by lower-league opposition; you need to realise that most fans are aware of this fact. They're not duped by finishing in a position which may result in us playing in the Champions League. So what, if the cash from that competition is simply banked and never sees the light of day?

It should be noted that as long term fans of The Arsenal we've seen plenty of lean times and poor teams over the years. Silverware isn't the be-all and end-all; we follow this club out of pure love and will always do so. However, loyal matchgoing fans continue to walk away from the Emirates Stadium, unwilling to part with their hard-earned cash when they feel let down and lied to by our board. We pay the highest ticket prices in football after being sold a dream, but it's always a case of 'jam tomorrow' and many have seen through the spin.

Enough is enough.

If the board is actually intent on making Arsenal a successful force in football once again, changes have to be made. Arsene Wenger should have experienced, qualified support to help bring in top-quality players, and he needs to be managed effectively if the right business isn't being done.

Or if the board is simply intent on milking the Arsenal brand for all its worth to the detriment of the team (but to the benefit of our bank account), season-ticket prices at Emirates Stadium should be reduced accordingly. Our loyal fans should no longer have to bear the burden after doing so for many years.

Make no mistake, if there is not significant improvement in our playing squad over the next couple of weeks, the rapidly growing anger in the stands will become difficult to overturn. There hasn't been a poisonous atmosphere like this at Arsenal for over 30 years and the board has simply stood by, while things have gone from bad to worse. I am sure you appreciate, this can no longer happen.

We look forward to your response in due course.

Yours faithfully,

Where Has Our Arsenal Gone (the Black Scarf Movement)
    Imagine Ivan writes back "TL;DR".

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain to me why a new keeper is needed? Don't give me this bs 'to provide competition'. This is just bs people are repeating from an unknown pundit who knows **** all about football let alone Arsenal. And are you telling me Szceszney isn't already competitive enough? I think he's a top class keeper, extremely composed (demonstrated this well yesterday) with passbacks which is down to his confidence that people are for some reason criticising, good distribution, good shot stopper, excellent handling. I think he got alot of unfair criticism last season, he only made one error iirc against Aston Villa (the Weimann goal that made it 1-1) at home which we didn't even lose. All keepers will make errors from time to time look at Cech last season against United, Hart was piss poor as well and he keeps continues to make mistakes (England game against Scotland).

I don't think I can count the number of times he saved our bumcracks last season especially during our unbeaten run.

If anything a CB and a DM is more of a priority now than a goalkeeper. I trust Szceczney in goal and I think Wenger does too.

ReputationRep:
    ^ let's not get into another Arsenal v Liverpool argument. It ends up with 3 or 4 pages of "STADIUM AND GOOD FINANCES" v "5 EUROPEAN TROPHIES", it just gets more boring each time we do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    Can anyone explain to me why a new keeper is needed? Don't give me this bs 'to provide competition'. This is just bs people are repeating from an unknown pundit who knows **** all about football let alone Arsenal. And are you telling me Szceszney isn't already competitive enough? I think he's a top class keeper, extremely composed (demonstrated this well yesterday) with passbacks which is down to his confidence that people are for some reason criticising, good distribution, good shot stopper, excellent handling. I think he got alot of unfair criticism last season, he only made one error iirc against Aston Villa (the Weimann goal that made it 1-1) at home which we didn't even lose. All keepers will make errors from time to time look at Cech last season against United, Hart was piss poor as well and he keeps continues to make mistakes (England game against Scotland).

I don't think I can count the number of times he saved our bumcracks last season especially during our unbeaten run.

If anything a CB and a DM is more of a priority now than a goalkeeper. I trust Szceczney in goal and I think Wenger does too.
    Sorry I cant remember too well but wasn't it fabianski playing in goal during the unbeaten run? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numan786)
    Sorry I cant remember too well but wasn't it fabianski playing in goal during the unbeaten run? :confused:
    He played a couple of games then got injured before or after the Norwich game, I maybe exaggerating his time during our unbeaten run near the end of season but still point stands.

ReputationRep:

Szceszney is not a top keeper...

...did you see when he ran to the middle of our half yesterday and didn't even clear the ball. That could easily have been a goal for Villa as he scumpered back to make a save. Top keepers don't make mistakes like that. Forget about comparing him to others. You've already said he's a 'top class keeper'. Top class keepers make mistakes like that you're implying? When Buffon was king he never did such things.

Think we should get Cesar for cheap - for a year or two, get Szceszney developing still and in a bit he'll be this top keeper you're on about if he maintains his development.

ReputationRep:
    Chamakh coming on v Spurs for Crystal Palace. cmonnnnn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Szceszney is not a top keeper...

...did you see when he ran to the middle of our half yesterday and didn't even clear the ball. That could easily have been a goal for Villa as he scumpered back to make a save. Top keepers don't make mistakes like that. Forget about comparing him to others. You've already said he's a 'top class keeper'. Top class keepers make mistakes like that you're implying? When Buffon was king he never did such things.

Think we should get Cesar for cheap - for a year or two, get Szceszney developing still and in a bit he'll be this top keeper you're on about if he maintains his development.
    Mate alllllllll top keepers make mistakes, all. I watched Serie A quite alot last season as I follow Inter and Buffon made plenty of mistakes, Cech (against United), Casillas, Khan (when the ball went through his arms), even Van der Sar (against Arsenal?) have all made howlers and they're not even as bad as Sczeszcney's ones. After Szcesney made that mistake yesterday he dealt with it well tackling Benteke where as most keepers probably would have scurried back to their goal and get lobbed.

He's young with potential, he can only get better.

ReputationRep:
    I don't doubt his ability it's the mental aspect of his game that needs sorting. His decision making, distribution, rushing out and communication are all poor. Plus he's too damn cocky about being 1. We need an experienced Keeper who chesney can learn from. Maybe spending time on the bench will make him knuckle down and concentrate on developing the mental aspect of his game in order to get back in the team. Fabianski can never challenge Chesney because he isn't good enough he needs proper competition to better himself. Imo Gerry Peyton needs to be sacked ASAP, all Arsenal keepers in recent times suffer from the same problems and the common denominator is the goalkeeping coach. We need a top coach like Eric Steele, he completely changed De Gea for the better.

Ofc all keepers makes mistakes, it how often they make them which is the problem.

ReputationRep:
    He played a couple of games then got injured before or after the Norwich game, I maybe exaggerating his time during our unbeaten run near the end of season but still point stands.
    It's weird because from an arsenal fan's perspective most will saqy scz is better than fabianski but when I ask most of my friends who support other teams they say that fabianski is the better keeper but I think he plays good when his confidence is high and he has self belief.

But back to the original statement youre tellin me you wouldnt take another keeper like adler to pull out a name over scz?:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Prob frame the accounts statements imo. Tbh what have you got to show for the last few years compared to us......I mean surely you dont think you have surpassed us, unless you count buying that donkey andy carroll an achievement. Maybe you do, good on you lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Imagine Ivan writes back "TL;DR".
    I dont think he can really ignore it this time. He must realise things are coming to a head now, and the more he ignores it, the angrier fans will get until it comes to the point that both himself and wenger have to step down.

ReputationRep:
    Mate alllllllll top keepers make mistakes, all. I watched Serie A quite alot last season as I follow Inter and Buffon made plenty of mistakes, Cech (against United), Casillas, Khan (when the ball went through his arms), even Van der Sar (against Arsenal?) have all made howlers and they're not even as bad as Sczeszcney's ones. After Szcesney made that mistake yesterday he dealt with it well tackling Benteke where as most keepers probably would have scurried back to their goal and get lobbed.

He's young with potential, he can only get better.
    Well confidence starts with the keeper, he's still very young and bringing in a solid experienced keeper who has done it at the top level for years would do so much for the team. Szceszney is not crap, he has made excellent saves at times but when a top class keeper like Cesar is available for a couple million, he'd be a signing that would boost our defence. Goalkeepers don't really peak until 25/26 and this would give Szceszney someone to learn from.

On a side note, whatever Wenger does, I don't think we'll have enough depth this season. At least in previous years we've had those players who haven't hit top form but could come and fill in when we have injuries...now we've sold or let a lot of them go. Look at our injury crisis atm. Rosicky, Wilshere, Arteta and Sagna could suffer a long term injury in the blink of an eye as they're very injury prone. What would do then.

ReputationRep:

Because he's prone to a mistake. Made a few big ones last season and already one yesterday. He rushed out like a maniac; even with the penalty he flapped at it, putting it on a plate for Benteke.

Begovic is a lot better. He's a comprehensive keeper, good at handling (Szezney's major weakness). If he stays at Stoke this year, he's going big next season. Most definitely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How can Wenger say there's no players out there? I swear that's a new one. Crystal Palace paid £6m for a player.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.