Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GoldenEmblem277)
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/supp...l-and-eugenics

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

That's all I have to say...

(FYI, I am anti-Eugenics.)
It's unfortunate that the politicians of the day (seemed to be common in many countries) sought to use such aggressive means (i agree with the belief). It's quite possible that over a generation or two using voluntary means, financial incentives and technology you could improve the stock so to speak.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Who knows, it's kind of on the bucket list though.
Do it, I personally want to get out of London for a while and relocate somewhere in a nice climate with nice people and a good work/life balance.

That said, LA is off the tables as I need an MA/MSc in order to get a job in my field
(Original post by TurboCretin)
I know this is an old post, but Tag Heuer are not a good example...
I would agree.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
Do it, I personally want to get out of London for a while and relocate somewhere in a nice climate with nice people and a good work/life balance.
Well if I do end up doing French and German at uni then I kind of hope to spend some of the year abroad there.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GoldenEmblem277)
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/supp...l-and-eugenics

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics

That's all I have to say...

(FYI, I am anti-Eugenics.)
I support eugenics (or one of its forms, to be precise), so there's another point for Churchill.
tehFrance
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Well if I do end up doing French and German at uni then I kind of hope to spend some of the year abroad there.
Go to Germany unless you want to go to the South of France which is sun, fun and booze
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Go to Germany unless you want to go to the South of France which is sun, fun and booze
I was thinking Belgium or Alsace for the French leg of that year.
tehFrance
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by O133)
I was thinking Belgium or Alsace for the French leg of that year.
The land of doom and gloom... And that's just Alsace although seriously, Belgium? :sad:
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The land of doom and gloom... And that's just Alsace although seriously, Belgium? :sad:
I've quite liked Belgium whenever I've been.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
I can not agree with you on this – there seems to be a lot more to his brilliance than that. I'm unable to judge his political career in terms of specific acts and their influence on the nation's well-being but considering his difficult childhood, impressive military service, accurate political foresight (he was able to predict Hitler's behaviour and see through Stalin, unlike Roosevelt), excellent decisions during his tenures as First Lord of the Admiralty that greatly contributed to the British victory, or involvement in field activities (I think he visited the beaches of Normandy like six days after D-Day and he would have come sooner but the King did not let him), I think he was quite an admirable person.

His contribution to boosting the morale of the British people during WWII was very important and the amount of energy it cost him is mind-blowing. The documentary said he was so busy that he only slept around four hours a day and when he had a heart attack, he kept it secret and ignored his doctor's recommendation to rest because he did not want the people to get distracted and lose confidence in their ability to win the war. People need leaders and he was incredibly good at being one!

Why did you emphasised the role of women in war planning and organisation? Sure, Churchill was not a military strategist but as far as I know, women worked largely in factories and I don't know a single female military officer famous for some achievement. In fact I know no female military officer at all…

Anyway, he remains a very respectable and inspirational person to me and his sheer dedication and strong will to achieve his goals despite some misfortunes are enough to grant him that status.

Compared to him, modern politicians are a disgusting joke.
I think your list of things are common in British politicians and other respectable people of that time. Thatcher slept for 4 hours a day, Blair didn't have long nights, and Cameron is the same. The politicians of yesterday had much more talent than the ones we see today. Disraeli to Lord Wellington all did their bit for Britain. It was the actions of the Prime Ministers and military commanders 200-300 years ago which made Britain the country it was today. Whether you are proud of the empire or if you feel ashamed of it, without it Britain would not be as wealthy or as developed. Britain would be a minor country on the same league as Palau. A lack of energy is something that goes with the job and nothing special. As far as decision making is concerned, the military and politics were much more separated during the time. It was a case of the military being handed and budget and doing whatever they liked with the money, even the rules of engagement and targets needed to be attacked were all set by the military and not Churchill. When it comes to domestic affairs, I think it is easy to admire Churchill for the home front effort while forgetting the tireless work of the civil service and the dozens of ministers in his coalition cabinet we rarely hear about.

I accept he had many wonderful military achievements but so did the Duke of Wellington in Salamanca in 1812 where he outmaneuvered a 50,000-strong French army. Or Bill Slim who outwitted and surprised a Japanese force many times larger in India and Burma. John Churchill invaded the whole of what we call Belgium in a few weeks capturing it from the Spanish. Another great one is Montgomery who beat the Germans and Italians at El-Alamein. Britain has had numerous fantastic military leaders over the years, each achieving wonderful feats, but they do not receive the same recognition as Churchill, hence why I feel Churchill is hyped up.

I emphasize the women as they are easy to forget about. Guns, tanks, planes, and bombs were all built by the women. The public services were taken over by the women, the hospitals were taken over by the women, engineering on Spitfires, monitoring of radar stations, control of the railways, and local light watch patrols were all done by women too. For 6 years or more women slaved day and night making sure soldiers were equipped, and making sure life in the country continued. I believe the achievements of unknown individuals managing factories or raising the alarm when German bombers were over the channel deserve just as much recognition as Churchill. This does not take away from Churchill's achievements but compared to other people he was only equally as remarkable, or in some cases, far less remarkable, thus he does not deserve the extra attention.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I think your list of things are common in British politicians and other respectable people of that time. Thatcher slept for 4 hours a day, Blair didn't have long nights, and Cameron is the same. The politicians of yesterday had much more talent than the ones we see today. Disraeli to Lord Wellington all did their bit for Britain. It was the actions of the Prime Ministers and military commanders 200-300 years ago which made Britain the country it was today. Whether you are proud of the empire or if you feel ashamed of it, without it Britain would not be as wealthy or as developed. Britain would be a minor country on the same league as Palau. A lack of energy is something that goes with the job and nothing special. As far as decision making is concerned, the military and politics were much more separated during the time. It was a case of the military being handed and budget and doing whatever they liked with the money, even the rules of engagement and targets needed to be attacked were all set by the military and not Churchill. When it comes to domestic affairs, I think it is easy to admire Churchill for the home front effort while forgetting the tireless work of the civil service and the dozens of ministers in his coalition cabinet we rarely hear about.

I accept he had many wonderful military achievements but so did the Duke of Wellington in Salamanca in 1812 where he outmaneuvered a 50,000-strong French army. Or Bill Slim who outwitted and surprised a Japanese force many times larger in India and Burma. John Churchill invaded the whole of what we call Belgium in a few weeks capturing it from the Spanish. Another great one is Montgomery who beat the Germans and Italians at El-Alamein. Britain has had numerous fantastic military leaders over the years, each achieving wonderful feats, but they do not receive the same recognition as Churchill, hence why I feel Churchill is hyped up.

I emphasize the women as they are easy to forget about. Guns, tanks, planes, and bombs were all built by the women. The public services were taken over by the women, the hospitals were taken over by the women, engineering on Spitfires, monitoring of radar stations, control of the railways, and local light watch patrols were all done by women too. For 6 years or more women slaved day and night making sure soldiers were equipped, and making sure life in the country continued. I believe the achievements of unknown individuals managing factories or raising the alarm when German bombers were over the channel deserve just as much recognition as Churchill. This does not take away from Churchill's achievements but compared to other people he was only equally as remarkable, or in some cases, far less remarkable, thus he does not deserve the extra attention.
I understand and since you appear to be much more informed than I am regarding historical facts, there's no point in arguing. I don't think that he was literally the person who had won the war but I still believe that a single leader like him is much more valuable and important for a cause than a random factory worker – or even a whole factory full of them.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Interesting to see ISIS and the Japanese guy. I wonder if this will strengthen Abe's case to allow Japan to project power in a manner more befitting their stature.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
I can not agree with you on this – there seems to be a lot more to his brilliance than that. I'm unable to judge his political career in terms of specific acts and their influence on the nation's well-being but considering his difficult childhood, impressive military service, accurate political foresight (he was able to predict Hitler's behaviour and see through Stalin, unlike Roosevelt), excellent decisions during his tenures as First Lord of the Admiralty that greatly contributed to the British victory, or involvement in field activities (I think he visited the beaches of Normandy like six days after D-Day and he would have come sooner but the King did not let him), I think he was quite an admirable person.

His contribution to boosting the morale of the British people during WWII was very important and the amount of energy it cost him is mind-blowing. The documentary said he was so busy that he only slept around four hours a day and when he had a heart attack, he kept it secret and ignored his doctor's recommendation to rest because he did not want the people to get distracted and lose confidence in their ability to win the war. People need leaders and he was incredibly good at being one!

Why did you emphasised the role of women in war planning and organisation? Sure, Churchill was not a military strategist but as far as I know, women worked largely in factories and I don't know a single female military officer famous for some achievement. In fact I know no female military officer at all…

Anyway, he remains a very respectable and inspirational person to me and his sheer dedication and strong will to achieve his goals despite some misfortunes are enough to grant him that status.

Compared to him, modern politicians are a disgusting joke.
You are quite wrong to say Churchill was not a great military strategist.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anybody else watching the Superbowl tonight?
tehFrance
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Unfortunately no, I support the Patriots in winning the Super Bowl though
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unfortunately no, I support the Patriots in winning the Super Bowl though
I'm firmly behind the sea hawks this year, considering they annihilated the broncos before i think their chances are good.

I'd love to see it live one year but the ticket prices are insane.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
You are quite wrong to say Churchill was not a great military strategist.
I meant that it wasn't his primary role plus I was thinking about the Dardanelles Campaign which wasn't a great success, apparently. Care to enlighten me?
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Wanted to but sadly was working the next day tried to avoid the score as I had recorded it. Didn't even make it past 7 am before having it spoiled!
tehFrance
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
Wanted to but sadly was working the next day tried to avoid the score as I had recorded it. Didn't even make it past 7 am before having it spoiled!
Instant classic apparently... Still I'm happy the Pats won
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
I managed to do that successfully last year!

It was a great game so you should watch it anyway.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1374)
79.56%
Leave (353)
20.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise