Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can believe i missed yday match and had to follow it on live text. Total fail :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    It would of been less nerve wrecking watching it via live text, I assure you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zionic)
    It would of been less nerve wrecking watching it via live text, I assure you.
    It wasn't, everytime I refreshed, I expected a Spurs goal. But I'm certain it was less nerve wrecking than watching it live on TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    It wasn't, everytime I refreshed, I expected a Spurs goal. But I'm certain it was less nerve wrecking than watching it live on TV.
    I can see how that is nerve wrecking lol. It got so bad with spurs attacking I eventually started to watch family guy as I couldn't handle it.

ReputationRep:
    Henry just scored a first half brace in a 4-0 away win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Sorry, but as a keeper myself I find it impossible to agree with your judgement of that particular goal.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    I would like to remind you that I have seen the tapes of when you were a contestant on Countdown. You Sir, are no goalkeeper. Don't you dare make such ridiculous comments again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    I would like to remind you that I have seen the tapes of when you were a contestant on Countdown. You Sir, are no goalkeeper. Don't you dare make such ridiculous comments again.
    How does that mean he isn't/wasn't a goalkeeper? Are being a countdown contestant and a goalkeeper mutually exclusive or something?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because I had to take more than a day out of my life to appear on Countdown. :rolleyes:

What makes you say I'm no 'keeper? I'm not in amazing shape, but I've just won our team's player of the year award for the second consecutive season and was told last year by our then-captain that a lot of the other managers had been praising my ability.

It's important to remember that being a 'keeper isn't just about reflexes and agility (which I still have to some extent), it's more about co-ordinating and communicating with your defence, bravery when going to win the ball from strikers' feet (my specialty) and positioning.

(Original post by Deshi)
    x
    I'm sure you can verify that I'm most certainly not a **** 'keeper (even though the game you watched me in I had an obviously damaged elbow).

Either way, the comment you've made, Ziz, is frankly preposterous and irrelevant. Being on Countdown has no correlation to footballing ability.

If you're going to say 'how come no footballers are ever on it then?' bear in mind that less people have been on Countdown in its entire history than there are players at clubs in the Football League, and Clarke Carlisle was in fact on it recently (not long after me, in fact).

ReputationRep:
    Ziz is just being a ****. I don't really understand why people are taking him seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    He is better than Almunia and Fabianski.
    That doesn't really say much tbh. Right now he's an average keeper with a lot of promise, but to hype him up so much at this stage would not be wise.

ReputationRep:
    God, you're insufferable... gtfo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Well, my point was basically centred on the fact that Tottenham closed us down much more quickly than many other teams do; given that we lost the ball quite often when challenged in the Liverpool game (more so in the second half than the first), I'd have expected that to severely restrict our game. We also succumbed to this kind of pressure against Barca, and I seem to recall Everton playing against us in this style and to great effect at the Emirates last season. Thus, seeing us cope relatively well with high-pressure tactics seemed particularly encouraging to me. I mean, even Diaby was moving the ball quickly at many points. :eek: I think the impressiveness was also accentuated for me by the fact that we were playing away, and against a pretty good team.

Fair point, particularly about the first goal. :yy: I would point out, however, that man-marking seemed to work very well against certain players (Bale, in particular) and only really faltered when Spurs became adventurous enough to bomb forward from the back (in the opening stages, the only one that really caused problems due to the inattention of our players was Corluka; later, Gallas, Assou-Ekotto (sp) and Kaboul all caused problems because our players could not really handle all the mobility in addition to the players you mentioned). I'm not sure a zonal system would have been a whole lot better, tbh - don't you think that it would have been even more affected by the mobility of their players?

Also, with regards to the second goal, I can't be sure but I think Cesc was trying to boot it away but sliced it. Which happens quite often under pressure, and usually ends up in a shot blazing miles over, or being shifted back to the flanks for another cross. I though it was an unusual attempt by Huddlestone - he kind of flicked it, didn't he? It was quite brilliant if he intended it to happen exactly the way it did.

Well, as I see it, Wengerball is more about passing about until you find enough space to do otherwise. I posted a couple of days ago about how it might be that this could actually often be the cause of there being very little space to shoot - that perhaps our style forces rather than encourages the tendency to try and walk the ball into the net. I feel that this changed yesterday because Tottenham, being as they were at home, tried to press us quickly; consequently, whenever players like Nasri an Fabregas managed to get away from an opposing player, there was space to shoot.

Yeah, I live in Nepal. I don't really consider it a pain; it's just strangely fulfilling, you know? Even when Arsenal don't win; I don't know how exactly to explain it, but over the last month or so, it's begun to strike me how I can feel simultaneously frustrated/depressed and fulfilled/somehow satisfied after Arsenal games. And it wasn't too bad at all last night - like I said, I enjoyed the game.
    Personally I think that while there was more pressure from the Tottenham players in terms of closing down, our attacking was more accentuated by the fact that they have a more attacking style of play, which in turn allows us to break away from them. I still feel if we played the way we did on Wednesday against, say, Stoke or Blackburn, we would have been as limited as we were against Liverpool because of their defensive tactics.

Zonal marking would have probably worked better than man marking imo: man-marking restricts a defender to whatever zone his target is in, whereas zonal marking would have stopped Spurs' first goal from being scored and may have prevented Lennon having the clean access to goal for the third penalty. But seeing as I've barely ever observed that sort of a tactic being used by the defence this season it may not have worked. That just exemplifies how one-dimensional we are tactically :/

I can't blame Fabregas too much, I agree that it was a pressure situation and things like that are bound to happen. Would have been best to just clear it to the sides rather than booting it forward, as I'm pretty sure our forwards were in our half rather than their's during Spurs' throw, plus our defence was already assembled enough in the box. I just hope that he and the other midfielders start shooting more from long-range like Nasri like you said, and fingers crossed van Persie will be at his ruthless best to poach the rebounds. I really feel that if we started shooting more from long-range in a season, we could bag around 10 additional goals :ahee: but Wenger would never allow that...

Hah, I live in Hong Kong so I woke up at 2:30 am and then slept at 4:30 am :facepalm2: I can't say I was depressed after the results from the past 2-ish months either... I expected them, I knew we'd bottle some games, in fact I was still nervous when RVP scored the penalty against Liverpool and I had a strong feeling Spurs would get back in the game anyways after he scored our third.

Ah well, here's hoping we can get at least a point from Bolton and stay in the top four.

ReputationRep:
    Paul Merson thinks is time for Fabregas to go and use the money gained to buy either Cahill or Parker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jit987)
    Paul Merson thinks is time for Fabregas to go and use the money gained to buy either Cahill or Parker.
    :facepalm2:

We could buy both and have money to spare if we sold Cesc - I don't understand what this obsession is with English players.

Neither of them are any better than what we already have, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Yes, because I had to take more than a day out of my life to appear on Countdown. :rolleyes:

What makes you say I'm no 'keeper? I'm not in amazing shape, but I've just won our team's player of the year award for the second consecutive season and was told last year by our then-captain that a lot of the other managers had been praising my ability.

It's important to remember that being a 'keeper isn't just about reflexes and agility (which I still have to some extent), it's more about co-ordinating and communicating with your defence, bravery when going to win the ball from strikers' feet (my specialty) and positioning.

I'm sure you can verify that I'm most certainly not a **** 'keeper (even though the game you watched me in I had an obviously damaged elbow).

Either way, the comment you've made, Ziz, is frankly preposterous and irrelevant. Being on Countdown has no correlation to footballing ability.

If you're going to say 'how come no footballers are ever on it then?' bear in mind that less people have been on Countdown in its entire history than there are players at clubs in the Football League, and Clarke Carlisle was in fact on it recently (not long after me, in fact).
    What level or league are you playing in and for which team?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind Parker tbh..

ReputationRep:
    this is hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic news for Arsenal..

And when asked if he expected significant changes to his squad in the summer, Wenger replied: "Not at all. Our team is 23 years old [on average], why should we have a huge turnover at the end of the season?"

Looks like no summer overhaul.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13168229.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    What level or league are you playing in and for which team?
    Top division of our University's leagues as well as a team at home that I've played for since I turned 16 (after injury forced me to have to leave the Lyme Regis FC youth teams and then Bridport FC). Had a trial at Dorchester shortly after I turned 16 but was turned down eventually.

I've been rather unlucky with injuries ever since I started playing regularly, actually. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Fantastic news for Arsenal..

And when asked if he expected significant changes to his squad in the summer, Wenger replied: "Not at all. Our team is 23 years old [on average], why should we have a huge turnover at the end of the season?"

Looks like no summer overhaul.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13168229.stm
    it's ****in painful being an arsenal supporter

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.