Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
penrithkeswick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Copied from Wikipedia but I remember RTD saying it somewhere:

"Russell T Davies once mentioned that he would never make the sonic screwdriver the solution to an episode."

All that build-up for the problem to be solved in 30 seconds? And the sub-plot of one of the Doctor's hearts failing has already been done in the Shakespeare episode with Martha and the 10th Doctor
justanotherposter
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The whole cube thing seemed shoehorned in at the last moment, it was clearly just a plot device to show the Pond's real life. It really wasn't thought out at all, what was the purpose of all the cubes doing random things? It can't be to make them interesting because some of the cubes started trying to kill you. And what was the point of the aliens kidnapping random people? There is no logical reason for the aliens to kidnap people seemingly for no reason other than to make it clear to the viewers that there is an evil alien race operating in the background. It's nice to see that if we ever really get invaded by aliens there will be next to no security stopping us from boarding their spaceships and reversing their evil plans with space magic.
lizolove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JordanS94)
I found this weeks episode really good, best so far ... Next week looks good too, as long as the statue of liberty isn't a weeping angle and there isn't any crappy special effects it will be amazing
You preferred it over episode 1?! :eek:
lizolove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by penrithkeswick)
Copied from Wikipedia but I remember RTD saying it somewhere:

"Russell T Davies once mentioned that he would never make the sonic screwdriver the solution to an episode."

All that build-up for the problem to be solved in 30 seconds? And the sub-plot of one of the Doctor's hearts failing has already been done in the Shakespeare episode with Martha and the 10th Doctor
I know. I was very disappointed by the resolution. I was looking at the clock and thinking 'He has about 5 minutes to resolve this situation, I wonder how he'll do it', well, with the sonic screwdriver. I feel like nobody knew what they were doing in the episode, and they needed a random idea to fill the gap. They came up with that, and then they ran out of time and just thought, ah, sonic screwdriver.
drbluebox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sheldor)
It's not like nobody changes jobs ever. At least 2 years ago, she was a kissagram, then a around a year later a model, then 10 months later a travel journalist. Doesn't seem unrealistic, especially as the jump too modelling really isn't that unbelievable considering how people enter the business, and the contacts from modelling mean entering journalism wouldn't be too hard afterwards.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
And of course her looks means she would get jobs far far easier than the general public.
lizolove
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mr.Messy)
In theory, next weeks episode should be epic what with rumours of
Spoiler:
Show
the Statue of Liberty being a Weeping Angel etc, but I am more confident of it being cringeworthy rather than it being a great and dramatic piece of television. Two things: River's dialogue will probably be crap as usual and the CGI statute of Liberty will probably be terrible.

And when River speaks in general.. that voice..
Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by JordanS94)
I found this weeks episode really good, best so far ... Next week looks good too, as long as the statue of liberty isn't a weeping angle and there isn't any crappy special effects it will be amazing

(Original post by Jelephant)
Me and my friends had a "what if the stature of liberty was a weeping angel" thing when Blink first aired.... if they actually make it one I don't know what I'll do with myself

I said that to my sister.
She suggested they may have just showed a glimpse of it on the trailer to show it was NYC, but thinking about it, it is possible. Although saying that, it'd be really impractical and the statue isn't exactly an angel per se, so I don't know. If it did, I imagine the graphics mightn't be too good.

The weeping angels are creepy, I can't wait for next week's episode.
At the same time... I don't want Amy and Rory to go.
(If they had to though, I'm glad it's them going out with a bang, rather than death by cubes! )
Phobia27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Sheldor)
It's not like nobody changes jobs ever. At least 2 years ago, she was a kissagram, then a around a year later a model, then 10 months later a travel journalist. Doesn't seem unrealistic, especially as the jump too modelling really isn't that unbelievable considering how people enter the business, and the contacts from modelling mean entering journalism wouldn't be too hard afterwards.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The timeline is much, much longer, my estimate is the events of The Power of Three took place in or around the year 2020, here's a quick run down of everything I've picked up so far -

Amy and Rory get dropped off in Autumn 2011 at the very earliest (The God Complex), they do not see the Doctor for two years until Christmas 2013 (from the Xmas episode 2011), they then get a whole Summer of phone calls from the Doctor (Pond Life) and then divorce in August 2014, Asylum of the Daleks happens shortly after, then they spend 8 months without the Doctor (again at the very earliest, I'm under the impression we're missing a lot of on and off adventures), so it's now 2015, at least another few months in between Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and A Town Called Mercy, potentially 2016, more months after A Town Called Mercy before The Power of Three.

But like I said, the episodes that are aired on TV are just a fraction of what adventures the TARDIS trio go through, many more get written in official books, comics, and audio, or those that aren't mentioned at all, so that means their have probably been many more months/years of dropping on and off. In the episode today one nurse wanted Rory working full time because he was missing for several months at a time, and on Dinosaurs on a Spaceship Rory mentions he's 31, which would actually put the date for that episode at 2020, as estimates are he was born in 1989 (I can explain that too if you like).
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just watched it! Thought it was a great episode until the last 5 minutes, too easy to defeat and get everything back to normal IMO.

Then cried at trailer for next week cos a) it's angels and I'm gonna have to cope with that by myself and b) final pond episode :bawling:
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
a prime example of how a great episode can be ruined by a **** cop out ending...

seriously unimpressed by that, worst ending to anything I have seen since War of the Worlds, and that was truly pathetic.

otherwise the episode was great, it really deserved so much better final scenes than that though.

*sigh*

hopefully next weeks is much better, the weeping angels are normally really good so I hope so, be interesting to see how they end the Pond's time as companions as well.

(Original post by Alofleicester)
Sounds about right, this could have worked a lot better as a two-part episode - the ending was just ridiculously rushed.
agreed, heck if this had been aired like a normal series of Doctor Who then it almost certainly would have been I suspect, it reeks of a script designed for two episodes that they were told to cut down to one with that dreadful ending.
laprenti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The last episode perfectly represents everything I've come to hate about the Moffat era. It was promising at first.
Doughnuts!!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by justanotherposter)
The whole cube thing seemed shoehorned in at the last moment, it was clearly just a plot device to show the Pond's real life. It really wasn't thought out at all, what was the purpose of all the cubes doing random things? It can't be to make them interesting because some of the cubes started trying to kill you. And what was the point of the aliens kidnapping random people? There is no logical reason for the aliens to kidnap people seemingly for no reason other than to make it clear to the viewers that there is an evil alien race operating in the background. It's nice to see that if we ever really get invaded by aliens there will be next to no security stopping us from boarding their spaceships and reversing their evil plans with space magic.
Agree 100%. I enjoyed it, but this is verrrryyy true.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by montstar)
Sorry but what the hell was that??

It was a great episode up until until the end, at which point it was if the writers realised they'd run out of time so had to finish the episode quickly. What's the point of such a great build up, with subtlety and what felt to me like genuine creepiness, if you go and ruin it by having the doctor solve it all in ten seconds with his sonic screwdriver (which may as well be a magic wand).
It just stinks of bad writing, the pacing was completely off and it's just such a shame because most of the episode was really good.

Plus I'm disappointed that Amy and Rory went with the doctor in the end. Seriously all of that drama then they go with him anyway? :lolwut: They'll be leaving one way or another next episode anyway!

I did like the new bad guys, the Shakri (sp?), but it all just opens up more unanswered questions (eg what is the tally?) on top of all the existing unanswered questions and plots holes that still haven't been resolved from past series.
Because Amy and rory know that they will be leaving in the next adventure we see. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Phobia27)
The timeline is much, much longer, my estimate is the events of The Power of Three took place in or around the year 2020, here's a quick run down of everything I've picked up so far -

Amy and Rory get dropped off in Autumn 2011 at the very earliest (The God Complex), they do not see the Doctor for two years until Christmas 2013 (from the Xmas episode 2011), they then get a whole Summer of phone calls from the Doctor (Pond Life) and then divorce in August 2014, Asylum of the Daleks happens shortly after, then they spend 8 months without the Doctor (again at the very earliest, I'm under the impression we're missing a lot of on and off adventures), so it's now 2015, at least another few months in between Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and A Town Called Mercy, potentially 2016, more months after A Town Called Mercy before The Power of Three.

But like I said, the episodes that are aired on TV are just a fraction of what adventures the TARDIS trio go through, many more get written in official books, comics, and audio, or those that aren't mentioned at all, so that means their have probably been many more months/years of dropping on and off. In the episode today one nurse wanted Rory working full time because he was missing for several months at a time, and on Dinosaurs on a Spaceship Rory mentions he's 31, which would actually put the date for that episode at 2020, as estimates are he was born in 1989 (I can explain that too if you like).
Didn't Amy say something about her and Rory working out they've travelled 10 years with the Doctor? :holmes:
Phobia27
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Because Amy and rory know that they will be leaving in the next adventure we see. :rolleyes:

Didn't Amy say something about her and Rory working out they've travelled 10 years with the Doctor? :holmes:
10 years in total of travelling with the Doctor and living on earth, which is not the same length as Earth time or Doctor time, just in total.
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If anybody doesn't want the next epsiode to be spoiled, avoid the trailers. Major spoilers in them.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Colonel.)
If anybody doesn't want the next epsiode to be spoiled, avoid the trailers. Major spoilers in them.
Thanks for the heads up :yep: I avoid trailers anyway being in Canada but good to know in case I stumble upon one!
rhw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fortunately I wasn't focusing during the trailers :P
DotComBoom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really liked this episode. It was fun, eventful and thoughtful. Sure, the threat wasn't particularly amazing but it was a nice, interesting difference to the whole invasion of Earth idea.

Next week looks creepy!
The Cornerstone
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree with the other posters saying that it ended badly, there was such a great build up and a new enemy but then everything get solved in a matter of seconds. The next episode doesn't look too promising either.
Hopple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Cornerstone)
I agree with the other posters saying that it ended badly, there was such a great build up and a new enemy but then everything get solved in a matter of seconds. The next episode doesn't look too promising either.
Yeah, wasn't the doctor running around for ages after he had his heart attack (and everyone else did too)? He made it to the hospital which is believable (especially with two hearts), but then spent ages chatting to the hologram before defibrillating the humans.

The angels were the best baddie because they didn't kill you, but sent you away from everyone you knew to some random time in the past, and of course even if you could see them 'jumping' towards you after each blink, you couldn't stop them. I think they were ruined when they were made into some baddie that just killed you when you weren't looking, that could be any baddie.
HotfireLegend
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by justanotherposter)
Yeah, I felt the kidnapping, the 2 'cube people' and the girl were unexplained plot devices.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (214)
39.19%
No - but I will (38)
6.96%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.59%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (258)
47.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise