Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Because he's prone to a mistake. Made a few big ones last season and already one yesterday. He rushed out like a maniac; even with the penalty he flapped at it, putting it on a plate for Benteke.

Begovic is a lot better. He's a comprehensive keeper, good at handling (Szezney's major weakness). If he stays at Stoke this year, he's going big next season. Most definitely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I also hate this body twitching he does with penalties, it puts all his weight on one side of his body and is so ineffective. Whoever taught him that need a shot to the head.

Beneteke's 1st penalty was so poor yesterday, top keepers would have pushed that to the side. Hardly had to move for that one.

He's definitely better than anything we've had since Lehmann but we've had a crisis since Lehmann retired. Cesar for 1 or two million on a 2 year contract - give him 1st team football so he gets into Brazil's world cup squad and for the first time in his career, Szceszney has someone top class to learn from.

After a dodgy first season, De Gea was quality for United last season, saving them many points and being a point of confidence for the team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    I also hate this body twitching he does with penalties, it puts all his weight on one side of his body and is so ineffective. Whoever taught him that need a shot to the head.

Beneteke's 1st penalty was so poor yesterday, top keepers would have pushed that to the side. Hardly had to move for that one.

He's definitely better than anything we've had since Lehmann but we've had a crisis since Lehmann retired. Cesar for 1 or two million on a 2 year contract - give him 1st team football so he gets into Brazil's world cup squad and for the first time in his career, Szceszney has someone top class to learn from.

After a dodgy first season, De Gea was quality for United last season, saving them many points and being a point of confidence for the team.
    I would still say Begovic is the one for us simply because he's class. Doesn't make sense to let a genuinely good player go. And at 26, he'll be here for the long-term as well.

But if not, Cesar would deffo be good. He's a solid keeper and is at a decent age.

I remember I used to debate so much with my UTD mates about Szcezney and De Gea. Back then the two were very similar; now there's a gulf in class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would still say Begovic is the one for us simply because he's class. Doesn't make sense to let a genuinely good player go.

But if not, Cesar would deffo be good. He's a solid keeper and is at a decent age.

I remember I used to debate so much with my UTD mates about Szcezney and De Gea. Back then the two were very similar; now there's a gulf in class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Szceszney to be fair has been under pressure since he became #1. It wasn't his fault we've had a crisis for years.

Begovic will cost maybe £20m and Cesar is a cheap, efficient, short term measure available for £2m one would presume as QPR wish to cut their wage budget. Szceszney will come good in a year or two. I'm just baffled at how thin our team is. £70m would probably bring in 7 faces that we need just to have enough depth for 4th let alone a £40m signing for a striker. Can we believe Wenger when he says he's done everything to bring players in. If he has, our trophy drought has done long term damage to our revival.

ReputationRep:
    Szceszney to be fair has been under pressure since he became #1. It wasn't his fault we've had a crisis for years.

Begovic will cost maybe £20m and Cesar is a cheap, efficient, short term measure available for £2m one would presume as QPR wish to cut their wage budget. Szceszney will come good in a year or two. I'm just baffled at how thin our team is. £70m would probably bring in 7 faces that we need just to have enough depth for 4th let alone a £40m signing for a striker. Can we believe Wenger when he says he's done everything to bring players in. If he has, our trophy drought has done long term damage to our revival.
    Hugo Lloris looking good at Spurs as well. Great save at the end of the Palace game. You get what you pay for, that's what I'm trying to say. Three points behind Tottenham and we play them in two weeks.

I so hope he hasn't done everything because that would not be good news for us. I think he looks too much at value - both at the time of buying and negotiating contracts. He needs to wake up and realise because he's left it soooooo late he's gonna have to pay over the value.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hugo Lloris looking good at Spurs as well. Great save at the end of the Palace game. You get what you pay for, that's what I'm trying to say. Three points behind Tottenham and we play them in two weeks.

I so hope he hasn't done everything because that would not be good news for us. I think he looks too much at value - both at the time of buying and negotiating contracts. He needs to wake up and realise because he's left it soooooo late he's gonna have to pay over the value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also, people will see us as desperate now so they can demand even more. Even with £70m, we can probably only get 4 players or so of the quality we need, if that.

Just think, what are the chances of spending a net £60m when we haven't spent net £15m over the last 15 years. Very worried for our prospects this season. Looking increasingly like our way back into the Champions League is to win it and hope we get nice draws lol

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Also, people will see us as desperate now so they can demand even more. Even with £70m, we can probably only get 4 players or so of the quality we need, if that.

Just think, what are the chances of spending a net £60m when we haven't spent net £15m over the last 15 years. Very worried for our prospects this season. Looking increasingly like our way back into the Champions League is to win it and hope we get nice draws lol
    We're not gonna spend anywhere near £60m. If we're lucky, I'd say about £30m. I doubt there's gonna be a real marquee signing. It'll probably average/slightly better than average players tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We're not gonna spend anywhere near £60m. If we're lucky, I'd say about £30m. I doubt there's gonna be a real marquee signing. It'll probably average/slightly better than average players tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's two or three players. Wow. If we get 4th, Wenger is a genius, let's forget about the league.

He's been a genius for 3/4 years now. Everytime his squad get weaker, he maintains our position.

Fulham away, Spurs at home, a very tricky away leg against Fenerbache this week - and they're no crap team and given our confidence levels, the home leg won't be easy either - and we could be out of the Champions League and bottom of the table before this window is even over. Yes, call me a pessimist but it's not out of the question.

ReputationRep:
    The thing that perplexes me the most about your window so far is that Wenger doesn't seem to have any genuine plan about who to sign and what your squad requires. So far you've been heavily interested in Higuain and Suarez, who are entirely different players, both would have been good signings but it almost feels like due to Wenger not being 100% certain on who he wants he won't pay that bit extra required.

In recent years the only way to be successful in the market is to acquire your targets and pay whatever is required to purchase them, I can understand why Arsene won't do this however this years Spurs have done exactly that and are going to be stronger competition than ever for that 4th spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    The thing that perplexes me the most about your window so far is that Wenger doesn't seem to have any genuine plan about who to sign and what your squad requires. So far you've been heavily interested in Higuain and Suarez, who are entirely different players, both would have been good signings but it almost feels like due to Wenger not being 100% certain on who he wants he won't pay that bit extra required.

In recent years the only way to be successful in the market is to acquire your targets and pay whatever is required to purchase them, I can understand why Arsene won't do this however this years Spurs have done exactly that and are going to be stronger competition than ever for that 4th spot.
    Very good point. This goes back to the suggestion that Wenger hasn't or can't adapt to modern football.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Damn Chelsea look good this season

ReputationRep:
    Imagine Sagbo and Sanogo as a strike partnership.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    It may oy be Hull but they do look good. The midfield is sharp and that's without Mata. Is Mata gonna play much this season? I swear he is class act.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Hull made them look very good, as soon as Hull started putting pressure on them in the latter part of the second half they looked average at the back, their biggest problem last season.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton just got Osvaldo, they are looking pretty strong

ReputationRep:
    Saints signed him for £15m.

They have the same transfer record as us. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoloPirate)
    Hull made them look very good, as soon as Hull started putting pressure on them in the latter part of the second half they looked average at the back, their biggest problem last season.
    Not really I'd say it's the other way round we stopped bothering after the first half and left it at 2-0 :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Bottom of sky sports' spending and players-in table! WOOOOP

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    wenger needs to make it rain or wenger out

let's see how these last few week unfolds....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruin.)
    Saints signed him for £15m.

They have the same transfer record as us. :facepalm2:
    Wow. Let's not forget they also bought Wanyama for £12.5m. They've spent about £30m.

Makes you feel sick when you hear Wenger say there are no players. What is he chatting about?! Really frustrating. I'll say it again: Wenger hasn't adapted to the times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.