ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Lol maths mock results I got
    94% FP2
    92% C3
    70% D1
    56% M2

not bad but M2 was a complete flop haha
    :lol: Don't worry you have time to practice on m2 and to be hitting 90's before January is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paparazzo)
    I have decided that I don't want to leave school after all. To think that this time next year, I will be leaving away from home and away from everybody I've known for the past ~7 years is horrifying.

Why can't I be in Year 9 again?
    :hugs: I know how you feel, I've felt the sake way for months. It's a really scary thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    I thought that but the answer is cos( pi - alpha)
    If \alpha = 2 + 5i and \beta = -2 + 5i, \beta \neq \cos (\pi - \alpha ). Do you mean \beta = \sqrt{29}\ \text{cis} \Big(\pi - \arg (\alpha ) \Big) \ ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    :lol: Don't worry you have time to practice on m2 and to be hitting 90's before January is good
    Yeah, I realised my M2 mock mistakes were so stupid ahah, corrected them all in a run-through... nobody in my class got >70 for FP2 or C3 lool, these exams destroyed people apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno836)
    :lol: what does unit 1 cover in WJEC ?

actually i have a quick question... if alpha = 2 + 5j ..... what is -2+5j realtive to alpha :/

I'm doing Modulus and principle argument form :sigh:
    Well if alpha is R(cosx + sinx), = 2+5j, then we're interested in changing the form to get the real part as negative and the imaginary part as positive. (i.e. we want R(-cosx + isinx))

The radius of both is equal so we don't need to worry about R.

Now consider basic trig (you may want to sketch sinx and cosx). Remember we want to keep Sin "the same" but change cos to -cos. You should know that sin(pi-x) = sin(x) (this can be seen by considering the symmetry of the sine graph about pi/2). You should also see that with cos, cos(x) = -cos(pi-x) and therefore -cos(x) = cos(pi-x). We notice that changing x to pi-x gives us the form we want.

So if 2+5j is R(Cosx + sinx) then -2+5j is R(cos(pi-x) + isin(pi-x)).

It may also be worth sketching this in the complex plane.

I'd go more into this if it wasn't almost 3am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    If \alpha = 2 + 5i and \beta = -2 + 5i, \beta \neq \cos (\pi - \alpha ). Do you mean \beta = \sqrt{29}\ \text{cis} \Big(\pi - \arg (\alpha ) \Big) \ ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The answer is definitely (Pi - alpha)

(Original post by Llewellyn)
    Well if alpha is R(cosx + sinx), = 2+5j, then we're interested in changing the form to get the real part as negative and the imaginary part as positive. (i.e. we want R(-cosx + isinx))

The radius of both is equal so we don't need to worry about R.

Now consider basic trig (you may want to sketch sinx and cosx). Remember we want to keep Sin "the same" but change cos to -cos. You should know that sin(pi-x) = sin(x) (this can be seen by considering the symmetry of the sine graph about pi/2). You should also see that with cos, cos(x) = -cos(pi-x) and therefore -cos(x) = cos(pi-x). We notice that changing x to pi-x gives us the form we want.

So if 2+5j is R(Cosx + sinx) then -2+5j is R(cos(pi-x) + isin(pi-x)).

It may also be worth sketching this in the complex plane.

I'd go more into this if it wasn't almost 3am.
    Ahhh thankyou! That makes sense now! I should be able to do the rest I think , thankyou :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Lol maths mock results I got
    94% FP2
    92% C3
    70% D1
    56% M2

not bad but M2 was a complete flop haha
    Those are great, 92% in FP2 wow, I know that when I'm going to do my FP2 mock polar coordinates will be the death of me XD. Also don't sweat about D1 (Worst module ever).

ReputationRep:
    I know it is early, but I think I have a realistic set of universities now. (If I stick with chem and year abroad)

Cambridge
    Imperial
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Thanks that's what I'd heard, but apparently some unis say on their websites to put it in personal statements which is where my parents got it from, so not sure what to do really
    To be honest, even then I'd put it in the reference, as the unis will definitely see this. Also I'm quite surprised that they ask for it in the ps, Durham, for example ask for it specifically in the reference:

'Applicants who are applying to us and who have experienced mitigating circumstances during previous qualifications/examinations which they have been unable to report to examination boards should let us know this via their referee who should include in the reference...(goes on to give details)'

I think also putting it in the reference will allow more detail, rather than just 1 sentence or 2 which won't really convey the whole situation
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Huff, I tried to stay away from TSR for a week...

I only managed 2 days before I requested for them to unban me. :lol:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smile:D)
    To be honest, even then I'd put it in the reference, as the unis will definitely see this. Also I'm quite surprised that they ask for it in the ps, Durham, for example ask for it specifically in the reference:

'Applicants who are applying to us and who have experienced mitigating circumstances during previous qualifications/examinations which they have been unable to report to examination boards should let us know this via their referee who should include in the reference...(goes on to give details)'

I think also putting it in the reference will allow more detail, rather than just 1 sentence or 2 which won't really convey the whole situation
    Thanks- the school's being annoyingly unhelpful about the whole thing, but they have said they'll put a sentence about it in my reference now and I've put one at the end of my PS as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)

At least you tried, that's more than I've ever done! And it's the holidays now so not quite as bad probably... :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It's tough, isn't it? Even when I barely posted I was still really close to requesting to be unbanned.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'll reply to your PM when I'm actually able to get into my inbox. The drop down menu at the top won't work.

ReputationRep:

Haha lol, i think I could last all these holidays

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I know it is early, but I think I have a realistic set of universities now. (If I stick with chem and year abroad)

Cambridge
    Imperial
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    Cardiff
    Sounds good! What course(s) would you consider if you decide not to stick? Is that in order of preference too, or?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    Sounds good! What course(s) would you consider if you decide not to stick? Is that in order of preference too, or?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A languages one

Yeah, that probably is in order of preference :ahee: A*AA-BBB is the range too!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    A languages one

Yeah, that probably is in order of preference :ahee: A*AA-BBB is the range too!
    Ooh exciting would you not do a combined honours in chemistry and a language? My (ex) chemistry teacher did a degree in Chemistry and Spanish, she said doing chemistry in spanish was the hardest thing she's ever had to do :lol: she showed us her notes too, absolutely crazy

Wow, that's really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    Ooh exciting would you not do a combined honours in chemistry and a language? My (ex) chemistry teacher did a degree in Chemistry and Spanish, she said doing chemistry in spanish was the hardest thing she's ever had to do :lol: she showed us her notes too, absolutely crazy

Wow, that's really good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I feel that would water down the chemistry :yep:

Well if all goes well I might either do Chemistry in English while in China/Singapore or actually in a different language. It'll probably be Spanish if I'm honest! Or Italian

我学中文。 我要学化学在中国。
    I think that says...
    I study Chinese. I want to study chemistry in China.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I feel that would water down the chemistry :yep:

Well if all goes well I might either do Chemistry in English while in China/Singapore or actually in a different language. It'll probably be Spanish if I'm honest! Or Italian

我学中文。 我要学化学在中国。
    I think that says...
    I study Chinese. I want to study chemistry in China.
    Yeah fair enough

Won that'd be so cool

Very impressive such a confusing language! I could never learn it :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.